How does this work?

MMiskoe

Moved from the Daytona thread.

https://youtu.be/KTpMqT7p4BE

Car on the lead image of this video - no windshield, holes in the hood.  I had thought that if you didn't run a windshield you needed a hood with no holes?

2020075_3230_kurtroussell.jpg

Secondly - at Daytona this weekend there was a truck there with the fuel system in the bed with no bulkhead over the cell.  A piece of lexan between the driver and the bed where the rear wind would have been, not even completely sealing the rear-window area, plus with no side windows the rear window is a moot point. 

2020075_2859_kurtroussell.jpg

Not trying to pick a fight here, just trying to understand what I'm missing.  I've had the tech folks pouring over the car with regard to sealing up the bulkheads between the front and the back and then you see something like this which is clearly different.  Both of these cars are pretty cool builds.  Lots of effort and thought into them and it is great to see people willing to take risks on how to put something together.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MMiskoe said:

Car on the lead image of this video - no windshield, holes in the hood.  I had thought that if you didn't run a windshield you needed a hood with no holes?

2020075_2859_kurtroussell.jpg

I watched this truck dump so much fuel on the racetrack i figured i would have saw a "BP" logo on the side of it as i went by.

7 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

Car on the lead image of this video - no windshield, holes in the hood.  I had thought that if you didn't run a windshield you needed a hood with no holes.

Yep 

9.2.2. OE windshields maybe removed. Stock replacement windshields or polycarbonate (Lexan) windscreens of the stock dimensions are acceptable in the stock location. Plexiglas plastic is not acceptable. If your windshield is removed, you must have a complete hood with no holes or vents in place as your firewall.

Always questioned that car as we have been told by tech that it would not be accepted on our roofless/windshieldless car.

2 hours ago, mindspin311 said:

"We're a self-policing" organization. We can't catch everything in tech.

It's not like that car hasn't been raced in the series for what, 8,9,10 years???  And since this is technically a "safety" thing, tech very well should be addressing it 100%, no excuses.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, hotchkis23 said:

It's not like that car hasn't been raced in the series for what, 8,9,10 years???  And since this is technically a "safety" thing, tech very well should be addressing it 100%, no excuses.

I 100% agree. Just telling you what someone higher up will eventually tell you.

• Like 1

I'm actually curious about the Z.  Kevin is an incredible fabricator from what I've seen, and KSR have raced a ton, I wonder if it's sealed and ducted, and therefore it got a waiver?

Really though, it's an EC car, so any potential performance benefit is moot.

As for the truck, because the fuel cell is not in a sealed area, the "firewall" rules are a bit different.  I remember seeing a tech desk or tech tip regarding open air cells.

Edited by SonsOfIrony