Jump to content

2020 Campout at Nelson Ledges 8+7 Results and Images


Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

fabbing up a bracket from material @wvumtnbkr had laying around to reposition the oil cooler, borrowed some mesh to protect the radiator from @MR2 Biohazard

 

Did @MR2 Biohazard really have it out for your radiator?  🤣

 

Awesome you guys managed to put it back together and get back out there.  Perseverance (almost) always pays off!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a rollercoaster of a weekend at Nelson Ledges Road Course with ChampCar Endurance Series. Friday at practice, Violette was doing great. No issues and she has a really fast pace. Saturday's 8 hour

I was the last car in the group to get past you as you swung back across, but it was close. I was watching you the whole time and kept you in my periphery as you started to come back on, but since I k

We had an interesting weekend for McKibbins Biohazard Racing.  The new car was good early Saturday but then went down a cylinder less than an hour in.  Fouling a plug pretty bad.  Troy changed the plu

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, krispykritter said:

 

Did @MR2 Biohazard really have it out for your radiator?  🤣

 

Awesome you guys managed to put it back together and get back out there.  Perseverance (almost) always pays off!

 

You never know when something is gonna fall off of Bio 1.0.  Have you seen that car?

 

In all honesty I want to thank Troy for having me on the team and putting together a fantastic car to drive.  I have yet to drive 2.0, and only got about 6 laps in the rain on practice day before the AMP crash, but even post-crash Bio is one hell of a machine.  Congrats to Visceral - they ran a great race and we just didn't have the pace at the end with the splitter falling off to really make a contest of it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll post something up later.  I just wanted to say our new build did better than the drivers....

 

We all stepped on our own wieners all day Saturday and sunday...

 

Man, does this car MOVE down the straights!  Once we get the handling sorted, look out!

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Technical Advisory Committee
2 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Ill throw our weekend recap in.

 

8.5 hour tow from Wisconsin to Nelson Ledges for the first time turned into a 9.5hr trip because our convoy buddy @scottyk had a bladder the size of my wifes but we made it without issue. Friday test was great, @E. Tyler Pedersen was nice enough to offer some lead follow to me to show me a bit of the track, so after 6 laps i didnt learn anything and went off in oak tree into the tire barrier like a moron. Sorry for the interruption everyone my bad. After an hour or so of putting  the splitter back on and checking everything over we finished the day without any more trouble.

 

Saturday we started out good working our way through the field into the top 5, second stint was uneventful and we were able to maintain in the top 10 heading into the third stint.I took over for the third stint and worked our way up into 5th when rounding the carousel i began to smell ATF and the cab filled with smoke. I pulled in to find a broken power steering hose. We repaired the hose and sent our fourth driver out to get some seat time only to have him collected into an accident when two cars got together in the carousel. Was a pretty significant impact, took out the radiator and crunched up the hood pretty good. 

 

Big thanks to @scottyk for telling us to quit bellyaching and put the car together for the next day. Once we dug in we found the replacement radiator was not the correct radiator. It was the radiator for an auto 190E that had a trans cooler that we do not need so it was 4" wider, interfering with the OEM intake as well as not leaving room for the factory oil cooler. We McGivered the thing back together pounding out the hood, fabbing up a bracket from material @wvumtnbkr had laying around to reposition the oil cooler, borrowed some mesh to protect the radiator from @MR2 Biohazard.We zip tied what was left of the Mercedes symbol back onto the thing because we figured it may be good luck and figured we would  send it on Sunday.

 

Sundays race we started in the front half of the field and just wanted  to survive. We ran well all day in the top 10 with only 2 unscheduled pit stops one because the car leaned out with the intake change....hint hint maybe we need to look into a different intake? so we came in and added fuel to the tune. Second was for some windshield trim that was dragging. We finished the day in P5 with a Class win. 

 

Overall for our first time to the track, and the competition level we were thrilled with the result. What a fast track and what a blast to drive. I wish we had more time to hang out and shoot the bull with people but we were generally busy making repairs.

 

Many thanks to Champcar and all the volunteers it was a hot one and without them we wouldnt be able to enjoy the weekends the way we do.

 

Next race is Gingerman we look forward to getting back on the track!

 

That was quite a repair you guys made, couldn't believe you got it back together like you did.  Good job.  I had fun mixing it up with you guys Sunday afternoon in Scott's car after he got the hub replaced.  Good luck at Gingerman.

Edited by Burningham
Link to post
Share on other sites

It was really nice to meet Racer28173 and the Wittenauer folks.  And it's always good to see old friends Rob, Tyler, Robin, and everyone else.  It was a great weekend!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TimS said:

We made the 8-10 hour tow from Charlotte on Thursday. Hit the test day after getting the car through 2020 tech. Thanks again Champcar staff for a quick and accurate inspection. Got on track just before lunch break. Had no idea which way the track went. None of the three of us had been to Nelson Ledges before. All three of us got out for as many laps as we dared. Saturday we started to close to the front of the pack especially since we only had limited laps. Started to get into a good rhythm when a big pack of fast cars kinda forced me wide at the exit of the carousel. I took a wild ride across the track and ended up in the tire wall. Got a tow off of the wall and after a quick pit stop to pull out the front fender and secure the exhaust. New driver and we were back. The rest of the race was good and clean trying get up to speed and learn the track. 

Sunday again started great at the back of the pack this time. Unfortunately the team we are sharing a pit spot with passes me under yellow and then spins directly into my path. Light tap on the nose but radiator takes a good hit and is leaking. Replaced with spare. Down 30 minutes again. The rest of the race goes perfectly all drivers did a great job. Car ran perfect. New engine ran flawlessly, thanks Huggy. Track was great, frightening, fast, narrow and amazing all in one. We had a great weekend and met some amazing people. Champcar staff was very helpful too. 

What time was that spin?  I may have it on video.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll chime in and say that we had a great weekend watching all of you do your thing!  I think we were able to help almost all of you that stopped by looking for a particular item.  Those that we weren't able to help we ordered the pieces parts you asked for and will have them with us for the next one.

We plan to debut our Civic at Gingerman and will still have our big tent of parts setup on site as well. 

 

Hope to see you all there!

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

 

 

Overall for our first time to the track, and the competition level we were thrilled with the result. What a fast track and what a blast to drive. I wish we had more time to hang out and shoot the bull with people but we were generally busy making repairs.

 

 

Bold added by me.

 

There was very little bull to shoot at this race - it seemed like we all had our problems at one point or another.  Heck - I spent over two hours shopping for LUG NUTS (long story).

 

Nice job on day two, particularly with all of those challenges you guys had.  Enjoyed sharing the paddock spot with you.  See you at RA!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Racer28173 said:

What time was that spin?  I may have it on video.

 

About 35 laps in for us. Maybe 45-50 minutes from start. Red E30. 

I went across the track left to right and thankfully I didn’t hit anyone and everyone else dodged me. It was a blur for me and my camera shut off at about 10 minutes and started again 5 hours later and missed all the good stuff 

Edited by TimS
Link to post
Share on other sites

Premium Dudes had a fun weekend.


For this race we were debuting a new livery and a new engine. I'm very happy with the new look, it was nice on track and I was tiring of orange. The engine sounded GREAT and we're happy with the performance, too.

 

ACtC-3e8JCQOOzVO9vfO4qheEHXiPAQ5nBZj5iLRGbv8b6veCZlRAdfzD71Yo1HbvaaOcE5M-dg-Lw_vfZqxfI8OM5FjjfB6oevxJfsj_c5JAt1-X5RZjGu87UtgTWhEs2K-FlOO3nkxNm2s1PRLPg153xA43g=w1500-h1000-no?authuser=0

 

Two of our 4 drivers had never been here (I was one of them), and only one had turned race laps so we made full use of the test day to get acquainted and watch video. All was good and we made progress. Pace was 2-3 seconds off the FTD from last year so we were feeling good going in to Saturday. 

 

Andrew started the 8 hour race and moved us from 40ish to 2nd. I was in next and stayed 2nd / 3rd all stint. Handed it off to Larry who managed to run 1/2 throughout his stint, holding off JSK for what seemed like hours!

 

Then began the final, thrilling, stint 4. Stint 4 started with every team but us diving to the pits for a FCY. We stayed out one lap longer and paid the price by getting stuck behind the pace car. Leaving the pits we were in 3rd, but Visceral never made it out of the pits and so we were in 2nd place, some 25 seconds behind JSK. Kerry ran hard (we had no radio by this point) and it took 15 laps to close up to the bumper of the maxima. Unable to make the pass, he hounded JSK for the  next 10 laps before being brought in for a T12 PUY, dropping us to 3rd, 30 seconds back from Ztek in 2nd. 25 laps later he caught and passed Ztek. Yay! But with 8 minutes left in the race he pulls into the pits, out of fuel! Somehow (lack of yellows / lack of reds / traffic / lead foot) he burned fuel over 10% faster than the rest of us. We splashed in 5 gallons and sent him back out at the same time JSK also ran out of fuel and became stuck in turn 4!!! Ztek swooped in to the lead and got the win.

 

Sunday started out great running in 2nd from lap 1, but less than an hour in we had to retire with terminally low oil pressure, ending our streak of consecutive top 5 finishes at 10.

 

 

This track lived up to the hype and it's probably now my favorite! Turns 3, kink, and 12/13 are just fantastic! Good first showing with the new swap. Great fun as always racing with everyone. I had a great time trying to hang on to the bumpers of CYR and JSK. So many fast teams made it out to this event. Gingerman is next!

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Premium Dudes had a fun weekend.


For this race we were debuting a new livery and a new engine. I'm very happy with the new look, it was nice on track and I was tiring of orange. The engine sounded GREAT and we're happy with the performance, too.

 

ACtC-3e8JCQOOzVO9vfO4qheEHXiPAQ5nBZj5iLRGbv8b6veCZlRAdfzD71Yo1HbvaaOcE5M-dg-Lw_vfZqxfI8OM5FjjfB6oevxJfsj_c5JAt1-X5RZjGu87UtgTWhEs2K-FlOO3nkxNm2s1PRLPg153xA43g=w1500-h1000-no?authuser=0

 

Two of our 4 drivers had never been here (I was one of them), and only one had turned race laps so we made full use of the test day to get acquainted and watch video. All was good and we made progress. Pace was 2-3 seconds off the FTD from last year so we were feeling good going in to Saturday. 

 

Andrew started the 8 hour race and moved us from 40ish to 2nd. I was in next and stayed 2nd / 3rd all stint. Handed it off to Larry who managed to run 1/2 throughout his stint, holding off JSK for what seemed like hours!

 

Then began the final, thrilling, stint 4. Stint 4 started with every team but us diving to the pits for a FCY. We stayed out one lap longer and paid the price by getting stuck behind the pace car. Leaving the pits we were in 3rd, but Visceral never made it out of the pits and so we were in 2nd place, some 25 seconds behind JSK. Kerry ran hard (we had no radio by this point) and it took 15 laps to close up to the bumper of the maxima. Unable to make the pass, he hounded JSK for the  next 10 laps before being brought in for a T12 PUY, dropping us to 3rd, 30 seconds back from Ztek in 2nd. 25 laps later he caught and passed Ztek. Yay! But with 8 minutes left in the race he pulls into the pits, out of fuel! Somehow (lack of yellows / lack of reds / traffic / lead foot) he burned fuel over 10% faster than the rest of us. We splashed in 5 gallons and sent him back out at the same time JSK also ran out of fuel and became stuck in turn 4!!! Ztek swooped in to the lead and got the win.

 

Sunday started out great running in 2nd from lap 1, but less than an hour in we had to retire with terminally low oil pressure, ending our streak of consecutive top 5 finishes at 10.

 

 

This track lived up to the hype and it's probably now my favorite! Turns 3, kink, and 12/13 are just fantastic! Good first showing with the new swap. Great fun as always racing with everyone. I had a great time trying to hang on to the bumpers of CYR and JSK. So many fast teams made it out to this event. Gingerman is next!

Great job on Saturday!! Impressive for first time out with the new e fine combo. Any idea what happened to the engine? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Indysupra said:

Great job on Saturday!! Impressive for first time out with the new e fine combo. Any idea what happened to the engine? 

We have a few theories on why the pressure dropped but we won't have confirmation until we pull the engine out and check the bottom end.

Edited by enginerd
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, enginerd said:

We have a few theories on why the pressure dropped but we won't have confirmation until we pull the engine out and check the bottom end.

It's a honda.  They do That when they feel like it...

 

Shut up Andrew.  I know you raced a turbo b16 for like 1M miles....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Sooo, that car that flipped, was there anybody else involved?  That was on my outlap, and I was in that vicinity.  I would hate to have had a part in it.

 

On video it looked like a solo excursion without help from anyone else.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, enginerd said:

Premium Dudes had a fun weekend.


For this race we were debuting a new livery and a new engine. I'm very happy with the new look, it was nice on track and I was tiring of orange. The engine sounded GREAT and we're happy with the performance, too.

 

ACtC-3e8JCQOOzVO9vfO4qheEHXiPAQ5nBZj5iLRGbv8b6veCZlRAdfzD71Yo1HbvaaOcE5M-dg-Lw_vfZqxfI8OM5FjjfB6oevxJfsj_c5JAt1-X5RZjGu87UtgTWhEs2K-FlOO3nkxNm2s1PRLPg153xA43g=w1500-h1000-no?authuser=0

 

Two of our 4 drivers had never been here (I was one of them), and only one had turned race laps so we made full use of the test day to get acquainted and watch video. All was good and we made progress. Pace was 2-3 seconds off the FTD from last year so we were feeling good going in to Saturday. 

 

Andrew started the 8 hour race and moved us from 40ish to 2nd. I was in next and stayed 2nd / 3rd all stint. Handed it off to Larry who managed to run 1/2 throughout his stint, holding off JSK for what seemed like hours!

 

Then began the final, thrilling, stint 4. Stint 4 started with every team but us diving to the pits for a FCY. We stayed out one lap longer and paid the price by getting stuck behind the pace car. Leaving the pits we were in 3rd, but Visceral never made it out of the pits and so we were in 2nd place, some 25 seconds behind JSK. Kerry ran hard (we had no radio by this point) and it took 15 laps to close up to the bumper of the maxima. Unable to make the pass, he hounded JSK for the  next 10 laps before being brought in for a T12 PUY, dropping us to 3rd, 30 seconds back from Ztek in 2nd. 25 laps later he caught and passed Ztek. Yay! But with 8 minutes left in the race he pulls into the pits, out of fuel! Somehow (lack of yellows / lack of reds / traffic / lead foot) he burned fuel over 10% faster than the rest of us. We splashed in 5 gallons and sent him back out at the same time JSK also ran out of fuel and became stuck in turn 4!!! Ztek swooped in to the lead and got the win.

 

Sunday started out great running in 2nd from lap 1, but less than an hour in we had to retire with terminally low oil pressure, ending our streak of consecutive top 5 finishes at 10.

 

 

This track lived up to the hype and it's probably now my favorite! Turns 3, kink, and 12/13 are just fantastic! Good first showing with the new swap. Great fun as always racing with everyone. I had a great time trying to hang on to the bumpers of CYR and JSK. So many fast teams made it out to this event. Gingerman is next!

 

Ztek here

Great event and great racing.  Thx to ChampCar and all the other competitors.

 

Saturday we to had our issues mostly due to communications as for some reason our radios where not working well all weekend. That caused 2 extra pit stops in Saturdays race due to the lack of communications.  We had 2 drivers myself and Dave Palermo.  

 

In the last stint, I started in 4th overall and 2nd in class.  I saw Ron's (Visceral) pit tent get lowered so I figured they had an issue and were out so now I was in 3rd (but actually I was 2nd).  Without coms I didn't know if I needed to push or if I could conserve fuel. I chose to conserve and at least salvage a podium position over going hard and running out of fuel.  Then I saw Premium Dudes duck into the pits for fuel.  But I still I had to be careful with fuel as I was getting low and the car would stumble out if the last corner on to the front straight.   I was circulating in 5th gear waiting for the finish with no idea how much time was left.   Relief came when I saw JSK on the side in T4.  It was stumbling badly by now and I thought I wasn't going to make it and then the Checker flew... First Place !!!  Exciting finish for sure.

 

Sunday we started last and worked up to 5th overall and first in class. With less than 2 hours to go I had the lower control arm strut bolt shear off and pitted for repairs.  We replaced the bolt, lost a lug nut in the process, did our last fuel and driver change but it dropped us to 12th overall and 2nd in class.  

 

A great weekend

Congrats to my other team Ron and Visceral for there win on Sunday.

 

 

 

Edited by flytime
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 11:57 AM, Jer said:

 

 

Sunday morning we start off with a penalty lap in the old car because of all the rules changes over the years, I get in first and started a lap down so last and 12th in line on top of that. 

 

Sooooooo YOU'RE the guy doing lock-up divebombs in Bio at the start.... LOL. 😄

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, enginerd said:

This track lived up to the hype and it's probably now my favorite! Turns 3, kink, and 12/13 are just fantastic! Good first showing with the new swap. Great fun as always racing with everyone. I had a great time trying to hang on to the bumpers of CYR and JSK. So many fast teams made it out to this event. Gingerman is next!

 

If you don't see god in turns 1 and 2 you aren't doing it right.  It took me about 4 endurance races at NL to figure that out.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...