2020 Campout at Nelson Ledges 8+7 Results and Images

So the Miskoe's had a good weekend.  Took a class win after being 2nd a couple of times and having a couple of races ended early at past events.  I had my two sons driving with me and it was the first time they have been able to match or beat my lap times.  Glad to have them be so quick, they can beat me any day in a sprint kart but this was the first time I had them reverse the tables in a car.  Maybe I'm getting old.

Saturday afternoon got adventurous when I went low under another car in the carosel and they decided to exercise the Champ rule that states the over taking car is always at fault, and turned in on me.  I tried to get out, ended up doing a pit-manuver on them and we went together off at drivers left.  Mercedes had committed to going high and was left with no where to go and caught me pretty hard in the back side breaking up bumper structure, exhausts etc.  Two black flags to remove dangling parts and one to serve a 3 minute penalty left us without the time to stop for fuel, so I dove around at what felt like a crawl for an hour.  Car skipped before the white flag but I got it to the checker, had to be towed in but retained the class lead.

After the race we were told we needed a bash bar or a bumper before Sunday.  I looked around the construction of the T&S building and spotted a stop sign on a long post.  Asked a track guy if I could buy it, he said I could use what i needed if it was going to help.  So the sign post got bolted to the back of the car and the stop sign went back to the T&S building.  Big thanks to track for being friendly and helpful.

Sunday looked good until the header broke as a result of Saturday's adventure.  20 minutes to replace it was non-recoverable on track, we only made it to third in class.

Onto the next.

#77.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a rollercoaster of a weekend at Nelson Ledges Road Course with ChampCar Endurance Series. Friday at practice, Violette was doing great. No issues and she has a really fast pace. Saturday's 8 hour

I was the last car in the group to get past you as you swung back across, but it was close. I was watching you the whole time and kept you in my periphery as you started to come back on, but since I k

We had an interesting weekend for McKibbins Biohazard Racing.  The new car was good early Saturday but then went down a cylinder less than an hour in.  Fouling a plug pretty bad.  Troy changed the plu

Posted Images

This was Bulldog Racing’s best finishing weekend!

Saturday…full of attrition all around!

Saturday started well in 22nd place. We learned that we still had high AFR issues that we were battling the day before on practice (we swapped fuel filter, but this did not solve). I grabbed a spare AFM and swapped it in about 10min before sending Sean back out in 40th place. This seemed to solve the high AFR issue. (I still think a vacuum leak is the root cause, but didn’t mess with it for the remainder of the weekend).

We then rolled the car entering turn 4 about 1.5hrs in.

Slow traffic caught the driver off guard and he got sucked off into the tire barrier for a slow motion barrel roll. We lost the windshield. He was placed in the ambulance, saw the car being rolled back over and asked if he could drive it back to the pits…surprisingly, they let him do it and the car worked great! Just a cracked windscreen and cosmetic damage on the front air dam. I quickly found Jay and asked him how do we proceed to reenter the race. The only change we had to make was to seal the hood vents and we were good to go (after he checked the roll cage integrity).

After about 1.5hrs of repairs we got back out on track. I hopped into the car post roll and the car ran great! I’m thankful for a dash that I made prior to the race essentially made the car a speedster (but we still had the rear windshield installed acting like a parachute). I then began to learn what it is to drive with no windscreen! All the bugs, stones, oil/coolant spray and debris had a clear line of sight to my helmet screen. Worst was the airflow was trying to suck my helmet off. I was able to see the track great, but lost all ability to read and understand the dash. Warning lights were my only guide. I worked my way back to 32nd place before pitting for driver + fuel.

Chris got in and ran clean. There was the red flag during his stint for the rolled Integra. Scary stuff. Chris had an easier time with the wind due to having a chin spoiler on his helmet and met his fair share of bugs and stone as well. He ended his stint in 22nd.

Sean got in for the final stint of Saturday with instructions to not roll the car lol. He did well and brought the car home in 13th place.

During the Saturday race we discussed how to solve the windscreen issue and whether to replace it or not. We found a local home depot with 4x8 sheet of 3/16” Lexan. But with the rain looking like it was going to be a non-issue for Sunday’s race, we decided instead to build a simple wind deflector and remove the rear windshield. We swapped the left side tires front to rear. Changed nothing else on the car for Sunday’s race.

Sunday…

I started the race in 17th. Starts are always fun as it is a mad dash to see who can out-stupid the other trying to move past traffic to get to the front. I had an unplanned stop due to the ratchet strap failing on the cool suit tank and it decided to do a dance in the passenger seat area. Lost about 4min. I finished my stint in 9th.

Chris came back out in 16th place after pit stop cycles. He ran a clean stint and was able to reduce his total average lap times by 2seconds. Brought us back to 9th place before pitting.

Sean resumed in 11th place after pit stops, but we got blacked flagged 12 laps into the stint for leaking fuel. He drove well and got the car to 5th.

I got in for the final stint of Sunday and maintained a 6th position to the finish.

We had a great weekend. For the most part, all drivers were aware, courteous and careful with passes. I’ve never seen so many off track excursions though. Thanks to all the Champcar staff for the work, we will definitely be returning to Nelson Ledges in the future.

sunday finish pic.JPG

Edited by MichaelPal
Added extended roll video.
  • Like 5
48 minutes ago, MichaelPal said:

This was Bulldog Racing’s best finishing weekend!

Saturday…full of attrition all around!

Saturday started well in 22nd place. We learned that we still had high AFR issues that we were battling the day before on practice (we swapped fuel filter, but this did not solve). I grabbed a spare AFM and swapped it in about 10min before sending Sean back out in 40th place. This seemed to solve the high AFR issue. (I still think a vacuum leak is the root cause, but didn’t mess with it for the remainder of the weekend).

We then rolled the car entering turn 4 about 1.5hrs in.

Slow traffic caught the driver off guard and he got sucked off into the tire barrier for a slow motion barrel roll. We lost the windshield. He was placed in the ambulance, saw the car being rolled back over and asked if he could drive it back to the pits…surprisingly, they let him do it and the car worked great! Just a cracked windscreen and cosmetic damage on the front air dam. I quickly found Jay and asked him how do we proceed to reenter the race. The only change we had to make was to seal the hood vents and we were good to go (after he checked the roll cage integrity).

After about 1.5hrs of repairs we got back out on track. I hopped into the car post roll and the car ran great! I’m thankful for a dash that I made prior to the race essentially made the car a speedster (but we still had the rear windshield installed acting like a parachute). I then began to learn what it is to drive with no windscreen! All the bugs, stones, oil/coolant spray and debris had a clear line of sight to my helmet screen. Worst was the airflow was trying to suck my helmet off. I was able to see the track great, but lost all ability to read and understand the dash. Warning lights were my only guide. I worked my way back to 32nd place before pitting for driver + fuel.

Chris got in and ran clean. There was the red flag during his stint for the rolled Integra. Scary stuff. Chris had an easier time with the wind due to having a chin spoiler on his helmet and met his fair share of bugs and stone as well. He ended his stint in 22nd.

Sean got in for the final stint of Saturday with instructions to not roll the car lol. He did well and brought the car home in 13th place.

During the Saturday race we discussed how to solve the windscreen issue and whether to replace it or not. We found a local home depot with 4x8 sheet of 3/16” Lexan. But with the rain looking like it was going to be a non-issue for Sunday’s race, we decided instead to build a simple wind deflector and remove the rear windshield. We swapped the left side tires front to rear. Changed nothing else on the car for Sunday’s race.

Sunday…

I started the race in 17th. Starts are always fun as it is a mad dash to see who can out-stupid the other trying to move past traffic to get to the front. I had an unplanned stop due to the ratchet strap failing on the cool suit tank and it decided to do a dance in the passenger seat area. Lost about 4min. I finished my stint in 9th.

Chris came back out in 16th place after pit stop cycles. He ran a clean stint and was able to reduce his total average lap times by 2seconds. Brought us back to 9th place before pitting.

Sean resumed in 11th place after pit stops, but we got blacked flagged 12 laps into the stint for leaking fuel. He drove well and got the car to 5th.

I got in for the final stint of Sunday and maintained a 6th position to the finish.

We had a great weekend. For the most part, all drivers were aware, courteous and careful with passes. I’ve never seen so many off track excursions though. Thanks to all the Champcar staff for the work, we will definitely be returning to Nelson Ledges in the future.

sunday finish pic.JPG

I'm watching that video going "no no no no no oh crap.".  Sorry but glad the damage was light and driver ok.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those piles of tires sure are effective at launching and rolling over cars that hit them. Sure seems like they should stack them like most other race tracks rather than throw them in a pile from the back of a pickup truck. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Those piles of tires sure are effective at launching and rolling over cars that hit them. Sure seems like they should stack them like most other race tracks rather than throw them in a pile from the back of a pickup truck. 

I heard that was a 2MM proposition.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Jer said:

I heard that was a 2MM proposition.  

Stacking tires costs $2M? 

I wonder who is stacking them. It seems like a manual labor process to me, I can't imagine how it could possibly be that expense. 

1 minute ago, Snorman said:

I wonder who is stacking them. It seems like a manual labor process to me, I can't imagine how it could possibly be that expense. 

I hear that there about 3,000,000 tires out there...

Edited by enginerd
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Many (most or all) of the tires are too old to bolt together.  They would likely need to be replaced.  Just the cost of removing them is immense.  

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Jer said:

Many (most or all) of the tires are too old to bolt together.  They would likely need to be replaced.  Just the cost of removing them is immense.  

Even if they didn't bolt them together like they do at Sebring and elsewhere, there are other options. They could run netting over them. Even stacking them would help. 

6 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Even if they didn't bolt them together like they do at Sebring and elsewhere, there are other options. They could run netting over them. Even stacking them would help. 

no doubt.  Maybe they should offer a free track day to those willing to volunteer a day.  Focus on the dangerous spots first, outside of the carousel, exit of Oak Tree, then turns 1, 2 and 3.  

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Jer said:

no doubt.  Maybe they should offer a free track day to those willing to volunteer a day.  Focus on the dangerous spots first, outside of the carousel, exit of Oak Tree, then turns 1, 2 and 3.  

back in my bike days, the trackday org i dealt with a lot would actually have one day a year they would do a chilli cook-off/fundraiser at the BlackHawk Farms to buy the track the inflatable bags for the bike racers.  they weren't cheap, but every year we could raise enough money to buy 2-3 air bags.  within a few years, many riders were saved by hitting the air bags vs the tire wall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Jer said:

Trackday with a barbeque and beers after. Would be a nice incentive for people to come out and lend a hand and I think they'd get a good response. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jer said:

There is usually one day in the spring when a bunch of local racers go stack tires and clean up debris. It was a miserable, rainy weekend this year. 

• Like 1