Bill Strong

2020 Campout at Nelson Ledges 8+7 Results and Images

6 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Haha.

It became a talking point because @bbaker480asked if there was anything he could have done differently to eliminate the situation.

Relevant.  Certainly I have no issue with this type of discussion.  Actually at the more productive end of what goes on in this forum IMHO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Jer said:

I wish we could race at NL again next weekend.  Such a great track!

No doubt, I really didn’t have high expectations coming into the race but it was really a blast to drive. Surprising. It helped when I finally learned how to drive @scottyk’s front wheel drive car after the second race of being in it. After he fixed the hub and I went back out to work on the tune and lay down some good laps on Sunday it all came together.  Pushing the limit is rewarded like at most tracks. I want to go back. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Jer said:

RBank Racing ran at NL the weekend after the Champcar race with Dart Kart Club. I would have loved to run the karts there, but it was too much travel. Instead I am running at BlackHawk Farms an hour from my house in a couple weeks. 
image.png.ddcf236570371fda6e1c143d807deb4a.png

Edited by red0
  • Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 1:15 PM, Jer said:

SCCA is there this weekend. I’ll be up

helping out a friend. 
“Wonderful Wednesday” Track Day August 15th. Usually 6-7 hours of track time with open passing for only $175!!!

I talked to Fred Wolf, the track manager, the other day. He asked me if I heard any feedback from everyone that ran the race. After reading all these posts I’m looking forward to telling him it sounds like everyone loves the track and had a great time when I see him this Saturday!!!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kentite said:

I talked to Fred Wolf, the track manager, the other day. He asked me if I heard any feedback from everyone that ran the race. After reading all these posts I’m looking forward to telling him it sounds like everyone loves the track and had a great time when I see him this Saturday!!!

Just my 2 cents for him:

Nelson is a very unique track.  The narrowness and the "wandering" lines make it a unique challenge on the circuit.  Other than a few minor things, I don't advocate changes to the track.  The safety off of the track could use some upgrades, as already mentioned.  What would really be nice would be some clean, modern bathrooms. It is hard to get wives, girlfriends, etc to come to a track that is so primitive.  That can't cost a lot of money.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Racer28173 said:

Just my 2 cents for him:

Nelson is a very unique track.  The narrowness and the "wandering" lines make it a unique challenge on the circuit.  Other than a few minor things, I don't advocate changes to the track.  The safety off of the track could use some upgrades, as already mentioned.  What would really be nice would be some clean, modern bathrooms. It is hard to get wives, girlfriends, etc to come to a track that is so primitive.  That can't cost a lot of money.

It is all in the plans for the future. The repave, drainage and pit lane improvements were top of the list for the owner. He said something to me about a lack of water in the area available for use in the bathrooms. To the point where the home across the street have to have their water brought in by truck.

52 minutes ago, Kentite said:

It is all in the plans for the future. The repave, drainage and pit lane improvements were top of the list for the owner. He said something to me about a lack of water in the area available for use in the bathrooms. To the point where the home across the street have to have their water brought in by truck.

They did it right.  Track first.  Check.  The rest comes later.  

• Like 2

I agree the track itself was perfect, install gravel traps, re-do some walls. Figure out a better bathroom solution and add power along pit lane (Looked like they were doing that)

Gravel alone would save quite a few cars id think.

No gravel traps.  They flip cars just as much as the crappy tire piles.

Let's stack some tires and enjoy the new bathroom trailer.

If y'all had sat on a hard piece of box over a hole in the ground with non mowed grass, no pit lane concrete, etc...  you would think it's the Taj Mahal now (it is!).

#dontlosethecharachter

Haha.

5 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

I agree the track itself was perfect, install gravel traps, re-do some walls. Figure out a better bathroom solution and add power along pit lane (Looked like they were doing that)

Run off areas, curbing, tire wall repairs would be great additions.  Access road accross track transition improved and track infrastructure improvements would bring new life to a classic track.  I remember reading the stories back in the glory days of the longest day races and was looking forward to racing here.  It didn't disappoint.   It was a great weekend and me personally I didn't care about the bathrooms or the pitlane.  But racers in this day and age expect a higher level of amenities. It seems the track is working on improving the facilities and it will take time.  I would definitely race here again and look forward to seeing what gets done before the next event.  

14 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Gravel traps are not the answer.

I spoke with Fred Wood a few years back when the improvements were just getting going.  The stories of the battles with local government and EPA in particular leave me amazed they have gotten as much done as they have.  Given some of the costs/hassles of dealing with the tires alone....well, I'm just glad the track is still there and open!  

Amenities are nicer at other tracks and that has raised expectations, and to a younger generation of racers, NL is an aberration compared to most newer facilities.  For older racers, the fact that the grass is cut, there's curbing and (sort of) flush toilets goes above and beyond what is was like to race there at one time.

Love the track, will go there as often as my schedule will allow.  Would go whether they improved it or not, but looking forward to more improvements as time goes on!  I really, really hope Champcar can return here with a 24hr and pick up the mantle of the old Longest Day races.  At one time NL would fill the infield and areas around the track with spectators for that event.  It would be great (and helpful financially for the track) to see that kind of event there once again! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, craig71188 said:

Love the track, will go there as often as my schedule will allow.  Would go whether they improved it or not, but looking forward to more improvements as time goes on!  I really, really hope Champcar can return here with a 24hr and pick up the mantle of the old Longest Day races.  At one time NL would fill the infield and areas around the track with spectators for that event.  It would be great (and helpful financially for the track) to see that kind of event there once again! 

The name Longest Day is supposedly held by someone who threatens to defend its use.  But we've had many 24s there and I'm sure we will again.  

21 hours ago, Jer said:

The name Longest Day is supposedly held by someone who threatens to defend its use.  But we've had many 24s there and I'm sure we will again.  

I've spoken with Mike Chisek in the past about this it seems most of our ChampCar counterparts don't really want to do 24 hour races (edit: enough to support one race which is at VIR).  Car count in 2019 was low although we all know Indy was a priority for a lot of teams and that money had to come from somewhere.  Going to need some help from other teams convincing ChampCar to do another 24.  

8+7 not a good format for the Saturn it is not fast enough to run up front for those types of sprints lol.  If we run it next year it'll be driver development or with a new car.  Still love the track

Edited by mostmint
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mostmint said:

I've spoken with Mike Chisek in the past about this it seems most of our ChampCar counterparts don't really want to do 24 hour races.  Car count in 2019 was low although we all know Indy was a priority for a lot of teams and that money had to come from somewhere.  Going to need some help from other teams convincing ChampCar to do another 24.  

8+7 not a good format for the Saturn it is not fast enough to run up front for those types of sprints lol.  If we run it next year it'll be driver development or with a new car.  Still love the track

I ran the 24 there in 2019 (was only about 30 cars). Did the 8+7 this year. Would have liked another 24 there this year.  My guess is it was just too close to the VIR 24 for most teams.  With a low turnout I totally understand why they won’t do it.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, craig71188 said:

Amenities are nicer at other tracks and that has raised expectations, and to a younger generation of racers, NL is an aberration compared to most newer facilities.  For older racers, the fact that the grass is cut, there's curbing and (sort of) flush toilets goes above and beyond what is was like to race there at one time.

This.  Used to be that a place like Nelson was about the same as Summit Point, Mosport, Mt Tremblant and equal or better to Bridgehampton.  Used to be that it was not common to have zero asphalt in the paddock.  Plenty of places it was easier to just change your clothes next to your truck than use the bathroom.  Garages?  Nope.  Even remember Pocono had garages that flooded 2"-3" deep with water when it rained (think about what NASCAR would do now?).  But we raced at all of them.  Asphalt at Nelson now is awesome, the road crossing?  Its fine.  Everyone of the tracks I've listed there had turns you drove the bumps not the turn.

Did you look into any of the little bathroom huts scattered about the infield?  I'm sure in their day those were considered nice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jer said:

You are correct.  Longest Day is owned/controlled by the originators.  I also referred to the summer solstice the "longest day" as far as daylight (minimize racing in darkness) around which the race was usually scheduled.  

I wasn't suggesting usurping the name, but the "spirit" of the event is certainly open to being recaptured.

14 hours ago, etoy said:

I ran the 24 there in 2019 (was only about 30 cars). Did the 8+7 this year. Would have liked another 24 there this year.  My guess is it was just too close to the VIR 24 for most teams.  With a low turnout I totally understand why they won’t do it.  

We ran in 2019, were there in 2018, but a series of unfortunate events left us to pack up after the test day.  Indy and 2 other 24 hour races in 2019 left the NL race poorly attended and I can see why Champcar chose not to repeat.

Just thinking out load, but perhaps limiting the schedule to two 24 hour races, spacing them far enough apart and working with the track (they tried in 2019) to bring back the spectator/party atmosphere of old might stir up more interest.  Where else in Champcar do you get to race in front of spectators?  

14 hours ago, craig71188 said:

You are correct.  Longest Day is owned/controlled by the originators.  I also referred to the summer solstice the "longest day" as far as daylight (minimize racing in darkness) around which the race was usually scheduled.  

I wasn't suggesting usurping the name, but the "spirit" of the event is certainly open to being recaptured.

Lolz.  You should pick the Farthest North Track you have Access to and run the 24 hour there on the Summer Solstice.  Brainerd International Raceway, Spokane, Road America, Area 27, Rosebud Near Calgary or Even Castrol Raceway at Leduc, Alberta.  Castrol Raceway would have about 4-5 hours of Darkness as it is still light out at 11pm.

• Like 1

The bridge is the next part that needs investment, before working bathrooms.  I know a few structural engineers who would have heart palpitations if they were in the same county as that thing.

• Haha 1