Car video System

We used to build video systems for LeMans, NASCAR, and even F1.    We simply couldn't compete with the ease of use and the image quality of the Ambarella based solutions(GoPro) and we left that market.  We do have a $3,000 rear camera system, lol, but we use Yi4Ks for actual video recording.  

Its really hard to compete with the value proposition of a $200 4K camera.  SmartyCam has the best chance, but I don't know about their reliability.

We did make a 4K cockpit camera for some OEM helicopter manufacturers based on a HiSilicon chipset.  I haven't considered repositioning it for racing.   Would there be interest in a purpose built "GoPro" like camera for racing for $999?   We have multiple audio streams, USB recording and backup, and hardwired power and record switches.  There is also integrated GPS but that is just for data logging and not overlay.

www.ruggedvid.com

https://ruggedvid.com/eaglei-4k-video-flight-data-recorder/

Edited by LuckyKid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I began running GoPros and swapping those out.  Then upgraded to the Git cameras and the plug in USB option where a 128 gb would record 12 hours of video.  I now run a Smartycam hooked up to my AiM and a Yi4k for livestream.  I love the Smartycam as it turns on when you start moving. 

• Thanks 1

I run a old Mobius action cam setup to start recording when power is applied.  It'll take any size SD card.

I wrote a plugin for kdenlive to overlay data collected from the AIM Solo we have.  It's a bit of a pain in the ass but it works fine.

I have been considering switching to a Yi4K+ but they're unclear on whether or not it will take gigantic (400GB+) SD cards.

I really like not having to fiddle with the camera for the entire weekend.

• Administrators

I still use ChaseCam HD 2 camera system. 
I have a few of these and we even use them for live broadcasting.
http://www.chasecam.com/product/dvr-dual-video-recorder/

Specs

http://www.chasecam.com/dvr-dual-video-recorder/

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, erich said:

I run a old Mobius action cam setup to start recording when power is applied.  It'll take any size SD card.

I wrote a plugin for kdenlive to overlay data collected from the AIM Solo we have.  It's a bit of a pain in the ass but it works fine.

I have been considering switching to a Yi4K+ but they're unclear on whether or not it will take gigantic (400GB+) SD cards.

I really like not having to fiddle with the camera for the entire weekend.

For the Smartycam it takes very little data.  You can fit an entire 24 on a 128 gb card no problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

For the Smartycam it takes very little data.  You can fit an entire 24 on a 128 gb card no problem.

Tyler your video was really crystal clear.  Good job!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

If I'm going to upgrade the camera I'm going 4K/60Hz.  That's not fitting on 128GB card, even with h.265.

I've got the bitrate turned up on the Mobius, the compression artifacts are significantly diminished, even though youtube crushes the video later it still looks better than with a lower bitrate starting video.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, erich said:

If I'm going to upgrade the camera I'm going 4K/60Hz.  That's not fitting on 128GB card, even with h.265.

I've got the bitrate turned up on the Mobius, the compression artifacts are significantly diminished, even though youtube crushes the video later it still looks better than with a lower bitrate starting video.

Everyone has their own flavor. 4k it up if you want.  I will be looking for your documentary in theaters soon with that resolution :)

• Like 1

I have the smartycam with OBD2 setup in my Viper and if setup correctly can give you most of the information that anyone could possibly want at an amateur level.   I haven't looked at prices recently but I think you can get it all for about $1,500 or less once you add in the GPS and OBD2 stuff.    

Edited by Snake

18 hours ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Everyone has their own flavor. 4k it up if you want.  I will be looking for your documentary in theaters soon with that resolution :)

The TV in the living room is 4K, why shouldn't I relive all my glory in the best possible way?*

*Glory might be all in my head.

• Haha 2

• Members

Depends on what you are trying to do with it.

We started out with Go Pro's and that worked fine some of the time. You do need to pull the card, upload it to pc, convert it to youtube for others to see or load it to a google shared drive. I have crappy internet so all that sucks.

We have the smarty cam 2.1 integrated into our dash and ecu. It is nice to have all the overlays to see what people are doing when. This gives a detailed view of everything and very clear. It is also reliable.  Bad side is cost at like $1000 for the camera alone and then you need a aim solo DL or Dash or other to connect it. Very costly.

We now also have the Yi4K live feed to youtube set at 480p. The nice benefit is that you are live to youtube and watch in the race and it also automatically saves it there. You can rewind during the race to see what happened. It is also really nice that you do not have to edit and upload videos to youtube for team members to see as it is already there, all 7 hours of racing and done. All drivers have reviewed hours and hours of stints and it is easy to say, go to 5:13 and check out what XXX did and screwed up.

EDIT: BTW- I suck at figuring out the technical side of the live feed so if I can do it you all should be fine.

Edited by MR2 Biohazard
add
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 9:49 PM, Team Infiniti said:

This conversation had me looking, dumb luck I stumbled upon, and scored, 3 older chasecam systems off ebay, all in <$100, wish me luck.

Streaming/Hi-res not a priority, just looking for cheap, simple and reliable.

quoting myself

Stuff came in the mail, 2 older Chase cam systems and one newer (circa 2011). The newer one was the most interesting so it got tested first, all I can say is...... Score of the week! Hopefully we will never miss another minute of video.

The only way this could get better would be if someone has a spare 4 camera cable that fits a Chasecam Diva.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 12:25 PM, RandomTask said:

Whats everyone running? I have go-pros but I'm interested in a more specialized setup. That stated, its painfully hard for me to stomach the price of these systems (eg vbox, race keeper, etc). 

Wondering what everyone else is running. 

You asked, this is debuting at PBIR

Following Bill Strong circa 2012, getting tired of fighting the gopro, for the last month I have been collecting old ChaseCam systems, this stuff is the cheapest way one could go about recording everything if they just want to document a race.

Pros:

Made specifically for this job

Made in USA

Rather expensive 10 years ago, stupid cheap now

Put the chip in, wire it to key on power, it records automatically

Can be converted to work with any basic 12v camera (think home security or reverse cam)

Internal mic, external mic your choice, easy to add radio chatter if wanted

crude G force meter

Cons:

Uses CF cards (single cam recorders)

IF your lucky, it may take a SD chip and hookup to 4 simultaneous cameras (I got stupid lucky)

Not close to HD but aint terrible

Not livestreaming anytime soon till I figure out how to take the video out jack and connect it to something more

Very little support out there but the stuff seems to simply work (buy a complete setup)

Old

What I bought for $85 shipped

2 single cam recorders (CF card)

1  four cam recorder(SD chip) working on one cam but MISSING the splitter cable for multi cams

4 cameras (2 good, one I fixed, one dead)

2 camera mounts

1 remote start button

2 misc camera cables

Period correct original carry case

What I bought for $28 shipped

Complete system in perfect condition with

1 cam

1 cam extender cord

1 mount

1 recorder

1 cable that will hookup to a traqmate (anyone got one cheap?)

1 CF card

Got lucky and located the splitter cable,got 2, price not calculated, yet, shouldn't be more then $50 for everything... more on that later

Yeah I know, boring, no live stream... Ignoring that part, this setup meets current goals, almost done installing, as seen on facebooks, here is test and tweak session #1  Whats the verdict?

Going to add a 4th camera, for a total of 3 on the bottom, where should it go? Suspension cam? Multiple driver cams? Dedicated Gauge cam?

Considering moving interior cam to look from the windshield back towards the driver, I failed at trying to see both the gauges and driver at the same time.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Live stream is overrated.
Having video for your drivers after the race is a great value add for arrive and drive - paying drivers. 

The ChaseCam PDR100 are 480 lines Standard Digital (SD).

Those are actually NASA approved for space flight as they were installed all over the space shuttle on "return to flight" after the Columbia accident.

• Thanks 1

• Members
8 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Live stream is overrated.
Having video for your drivers after the race is a great value add for arrive and drive - paying drivers. 

The ChaseCam PDR100 are 480 lines Standard Digital (SD).

Those are actually NASA approved for space flight as they were installed all over the space shuttle on "return to flight" after the Columbia accident.

The best part of live stream is it automatically goes to youtube and saved so your drivers can all look and review later. It saves all that time uploading and dealing with video. I found that to be much better. I am going to bring my, soon to be, old 43" 720P TV to the races for our viewing pleasure.

• Like 2

• Administrators

But live stream is not always reliable, when it works its awesome. But when it doesn't, which is a lot of times, and at a lot of tracks, then having a backup for your customers is always a good thing.

• Like 1