Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey. This is my first post, and this will be my first race in September at PBIR! Super excited!
 

So I just found out we're going to be down a driver, which leaves us with three. I know that three is the minimum but now I'm worried that it's going to be a grueling amount of driving. September in South Florida can still be really hot, and from track days I've done I know it can be mentally exhausting - and those are only 25 minute stints. And of course we're all out of shape middle aged dudes.
 

The PBIR race is two 7 hour races.
 

Do any of you have any feedback/thoughts on running 3 drivers vs 4?
 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've only ever had 3 drivers. Typically, the first driver will have 2 stints (1st and last). If your car can go 2hrs on fuel, then the last stint tends to be <1hr. Not bad at all if things go according to plan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Three should be fine.  Don't be afraid to ask pit neighbours to do a fire bottle for you or help in pit stops.  Most likely they will be help to help and give pointers.

 

Also, being your first race, chances are good you wont win.  Have the goal to finish and drive the car on the trailer at the end of the weekend (i.e. its still running, but also dont crash it because you are getting hot, tired and sloppy).  So if you do 1 hour stints and need to park the car for a little bit and rest, then so be it.  Try to get as much seat time as possible and go have fun.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B-Rad said:

We've only ever had 3 drivers. Typically, the first driver will have 2 stints (1st and last). If your car can go 2hrs on fuel, then the last stint tends to be <1hr. Not bad at all if things go according to plan. 

 

yeah we were 2 hours driving, 2 hours resting.  Thankfully our car was being reliable that weekend so we truly got a 2 hour break in between stints.

 

never slept so good in my life afterwards...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crazylegs said:

Hey. This is my first post, and this will be my first race in September at PBIR! Super excited!
 

So I just found out we're going to be down a driver, which leaves us with three. I know that three is the minimum but now I'm worried that it's going to be a grueling amount of driving. September in South Florida can still be really hot, and from track days I've done I know it can be mentally exhausting - and those are only 25 minute stints. And of course we're all out of shape middle aged dudes.
 

The PBIR race is two 7 hour races.
 

Do any of you have any feedback/thoughts on running 3 drivers vs 4?
 

Thanks.

It can be done... we have done a few races with 3 even one day of 2.  We are all 50-56, I can tell you 1.5 hours in a car is no joke. Just go have fun and don't worry about placing. If you need to take 20 minute breaks, take it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We only run 3 drivers in the Cobra, 14hr race is easily doable, youngest driver is 39.  We have a pitcrew of 4 so none of the drivers have to jump the wall.  It helps not having to put on a suit during pit stops.

 

Get a coolsuit system if you don't have one, lots of fluids, you'll be fine.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MoparBoyy said:

We only run 3 drivers in the Cobra, 14hr race is easily doable, youngest driver is 39.  We have a pitcrew of 4 so none of the drivers have to jump the wall.  It helps not having to put on a suit during pit stops.

 

3+4=7 where i come from.  He means only 3 people.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

We just did Nelson Ledges 8+7 with 3 total people all drivers. It was very hot but maybe not south Florida heat. It was tough. A couple of us definitely got overheated. Luckily out pit neighbors helped on nearly all our pit stops all weekend. Car was very reliable and thank god. I didn’t have any energy after Saturday for any serious wrenching. It can be done and I would not cancel the event. Make some friends and I’m sure they will help out. Everyone we met at Nelson Ledges was great and helpful. Just hydrate and look into the cool suit stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lethal Cliff said:

3+4=7 where i come from.  He means only 3 people.  

He said 3 drivers. He did not say if they had any crew. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have run 3 people total for 4 years with the occasional 4th or 5th driver depending on the race and other factors. It's not an issue, of course it's helpful to have others in the pits but not necessary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lethal Cliff said:

3+4=7 where i come from.  He means only 3 people.  

 

12 hours ago, Snorman said:

He said 3 drivers. He did not say if they had any crew. 

 

exactly.   its not inconceivable that you get 3 drivers with significant others, a buddy who can't afford to race, etc.  My 65 year old father in law would help with pit stops if i asked him to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
8 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

We did lime Rock 3 years ago with 2 drivers and my wife as crew.  

 

2 hour stints.  1 stint in, 1 stint off.

 

It was a bit of work, but manageable.

 

The tire testing event :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 1:49 PM, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Do you have a cool shirt system? If not then invest in one. 

 

Definitely get a cool suit system set up in the car. It’s about $100 in DIY parts not including the shirt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Crazylegs said:


What's a fire bottle guy? (And I'm sure this is a straight up noob question.)

 

Each team needs a person (referred to as fire bottle guy) that has an AFGS-9001 certification (can typically be obtained through local fire dept with a weekend course) that can ensure fire safety for the team. It's typically a fairly involved job, so this person doesn't normally drive for the weekend. This rule is laid out fairly clearly on page 17.3 of the BCCR. The other job of the AFGS certification is to stand with the fire bottle at the ready when you are fueling at yell at all the noobs to "put your visor down". 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crazylegs said:


What's a fire bottle guy? (And I'm sure this is a straight up noob question.)

Ignore the above LOL.  At fuel stops you need a team member to hold the fire bottle and be prepared to put out any fires.  Easiest job of any pit stop...usually.  Once fueling is over, he goes back to his pits.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crazylegs said:


What's a fire bottle guy? (And I'm sure this is a straight up noob question.)

Dresses in fire gear/helmet & holds your 10lb ABC fore extinguisher @ the ready whenever the fuel cap is off.

 

Pit near us, we will be near pit entrance.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...