Who can we talk to/petition to suggest a change of venue for next year? Specifically, I would like to see the Charlotte Roval race changed to Carolina Motorsports Park in SC. They have recently repaved and should be much friendlier to tire wear. I think the layout encourages better wheel to wheel racing than the Roval. The paddock facilities could still use some updating, but the new owners seem willing to spend money there. It's most likely also cheaper to rent which means potentially two days of racing instead of just one. 

52 minutes ago, XelderX said:

Who can we talk to/petition to suggest a change of venue for next year? Specifically, I would like to see the Charlotte Roval race changed to Carolina Motorsports Park in SC. They have recently repaved and should be much friendlier to tire wear. I think the layout encourages better wheel to wheel racing than the Roval. The paddock facilities could still use some updating, but the new owners seem willing to spend money there. It's most likely also cheaper to rent which means potentially two days of racing instead of just one. 

I would like to see the Charlotte Roval changed to Autobahn Country Club. 

QTLpobbQeMtY6F8iR0axO1GU4xvjlqClRYToHXjc

I would also love to see Mid-O 

57b1eaccbfa30.image.jpg?resize=720,469

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, red0 said:

Can I get an Amen?! 🙏 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, red0 said:

I would come to either or both of those!

• Like 1

What about NHMS next year as well? It had been on this year's schedule but was taken off because of conflicting events at the track. Is it in the works for next year?

• Like 1

I'd be all in favor of changing the Charlotte Roval race to NOLA. 

14 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Actually, send the request to info@champcar.org

Charlotte is already on for next years schedule. 

I don't suppose you'd be willing to tell us more about next year's schedule?  Is the December Sebring race going to return? 

3 hours ago, Snorman said:

Is the December Sebring race going to return? 

yes. it will.

• Like 3

I am on vacation right now. My boss keeps yelling at me to go fishing and stay off the internet. Sooo.
when I get back to the ChampCar - Virginia Branch office, I will talk to the boss and see what we have so far that we can announce. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, XelderX said:

I like CMP for basic track days. I also think the roval layout makes contact with concrete more likely than I would want, the banking changes and rough blending of transitions being hard to drive well for hours on end. 

That said, CMP might not be a good champcar fit. Nelson's is run for historical significance, which sort of allows series to look past the terrible facilities and mediocre track infastructure. Seems odd, but we are sort of spoiled as a series and used to "nice" facilities.

CMP has no paddock, you work on your car in the sand flea ground. Power is limited. Bathrooms are very limited and "dated" (being kind). It is an internet black hole. The current track layout doesn't have any really access points off for broken cars besides tow back to pit lane (although other CC tracks also have this issue). Pit lane is very narrow and short for the car counts we are used to. 

Lemons races there twice a year. Works with their model of no cars having designated pit stalls, slower average field pace, and most teams requiring less infastructure. 

If we are making changes in the mid Atlantic, I would rather see Charlotte replaced with 2 races at amp in a year, or swap the vir 24 to a 2 day event on full course. I don't like Rd atl because the straights are too long for field parity, but others might want a second date there. If we want to expand vs lemons try to revive NJMP with more open rules for lemons teams (fuel being big hurdle for many of them) for just that race. All of these would be regional replacements for CLT, I think you need a replacement to be in the same bread and butter champcar mid Atlantic. 

If we are ok having a few smaller field races (and more of them) I could see doing summit small course, CMP, roebling Rd, etc as a mid Atlantic regional thing with 40ish car fields (to not overwhelm the facilities or lack thereof). 

I hope CMP builds up their facilities, and if they do this might make more sense. Right now I doubt a replace fixes the issues champ would have there 

Side note, running the 24hr lemons race I did the math if #of teams, people per team,seated bathroom trips per day (2) and bathrooms. With a roughly 10min time between flushes, the seats never get cold....

Edited by Black Magic

3 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

CMP has no paddock, you work on your car in the sand flea ground. Power is limited. Bathrooms are very limited and "dated" (being kind). It is an internet black hole. The current track layout doesn't have any really access points off for broken cars besides tow back to pit lane (although other CC tracks also have this issue). Pit lane is very narrow and short for the car counts we are used to. 

Lemons races there twice a year. Works with their model of no cars having designated pit stalls, slower average field pace, and most teams requiring less infastructure. 

If we are making changes in the mid Atlantic, I would rather see Charlotte replaced with 2 races at amp in a year, or swap the vir 24 to a 2 day event on full course. I don't like Rd atl because the straights are too long for field parity, but others might want a second date there. If we want to expand vs lemons try to revive NJMP with more open rules for lemons teams (fuel being big hurdle for many of them) for just that race. All of these would be regional replacements for CLT, I think you need a replacement to be in the same bread and butter champcar mid Atlantic. 

If we are ok having a few smaller field races (and more of them) I could see doing summit small course, CMP, roebling Rd, etc as a mid Atlantic regional thing with 40ish car fields (to not overwhelm the facilities or lack thereof). 

I hope CMP builds up their facilities, and if they do this might make more sense. Right now I doubt a replace fixes the issues champ would have there 

Side note, running the 24hr lemons race I did the math if #of teams, people per team,seated bathroom trips per day (2) and bathrooms. With a roughly 10min time between flushes, the seats never get cold....

Amp is 100% worse for bathrooms than CMP.  Sure the bathroom is nicer, but there are 2 stalls and 1 urinal for EVERY male participant there...  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

swap the vir 24 to a 2 day event on full course.

Quoted for emphasis. 

Doesn't necessarily need to be a swap of the 24hr as I know a lot of people like that event. But a 2 day event on the full course would be amazing. Until then, we will just do WRL at VIR.

• Like 1

We don’t need 3 races at VIR. Keep the 24 and take one of the others and make it a 2 day event. 2 races at AMP? Yuck, yuck, yuck. 

Ive raced CMS the past 2 years and enjoyed it, although last year was a better layout. Inner loop added technicality but it was just as bad for passing as AMP. 

1 hour ago, Black Magic said:

Roebling Road? I used to do DE's there a few times a year and that facility would be horrible for a race. While I understand that SCCA has put some improvements into it, including a new "garage", the paddock sucks. There is one bathroom (1 men's, 1 women's) and it's entirely dirt/grass. Further, because of the paddock layout there isn't exactly a ton of room for rigs to park. And absolute worst part about RRR is that when the track is hot you're not getting out of the paddock. There is no bridge over the track. It's literally the worst choice ever. 

The good part about RRR is that it's close to a ton of hotels, restaurants, etc. in Bloomingdale/Pooler and Savannah is close for people who want to make it a family/spouse race weekend.  

Edited by Snorman

49 minutes ago, shutupracing said:

Quoted for emphasis. 

Doesn't necessarily need to be a swap of the 24hr as I know a lot of people like that event. But a 2 day event on the full course would be amazing. Until then, we will just do WRL at VIR.

We would 100% be in for this. I can't convince my fellow owners that we would do well in the 24, but we all absolutely would do a double at VIR and probably a 14-hour as well. 

• Like 2

I have "issues" with charlotte...

That being said, I would LOVE to race cmp again.  That would definitely make it on my list of races every year.

Yea, the facilities suck.  However, a portable bathroom like at N elsons would be just fine.

Don't they still have covered garage spaces?  It's been 5 or 6 years since I was there, but they at least had some spaces.

Rob R 

2 minutes ago, Snorman said:

We would 100% be in for this. I can't convince my fellow owners that we would do well in the 24, but we all absolutely would do a double at VIR and probably a 14-hour as well. 

I hate 24s.  I love vir full.  I would totally be in for this.

2 hours ago, Huggy said:

Amp is 100% worse for bathrooms than CMP.  Sure the bathroom is nicer, but there are 2 stalls and 1 urinal for EVERY male participant there...  

Did they lock the second bathroom (rear of the big building) and the one in the garage\private club area? Those were open last time I was there, you had 3 locations to pick. 

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Don't they still have covered garage spaces?  It's been 5 or 6 years since I was there, but they at least had some spaces.

They still have the open garage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snorman said:

The good part about RRR is that it's close to a ton of hotels, restaurants, etc. in Bloomingdale/Pooler and Savannah is close for people who want to make it a family/spouse race weekend.  

Totally what I was thinking. If you had a small event there (30 teams) at a low price it could be a "regional" race option. Like small track at summit and CMP, I think you could have smaller races there if they played within the limits of the facilities. Just not a normal east coast sized event. 

I would assume these tracks would be really cheap to rent, maybe get a mid Atlantic "regional series" of champcar going with cheaper small races to fill calendar between big weekend races. 

We rented CMP for a private event on a SAT, was not that expensive. 

Just now, Black Magic said:

Totally what I was thinking. If you had a small event there (30 teams) at a low price it could be a "regional" race option. Like small track at summit and CMP, I think you could have smaller races there if they played within the limits of the facilities. Just not a normal east coast sized event. 

I would assume these tracks would be really cheap to rent, maybe get a mid Atlantic "regional series" of champcar going with cheaper small races to fill calendar between big weekend races. 

We rented CMP for a private event on a SAT, was not that expensive. 

Yeah, I agree. But you can't run an endurance race at RRR based on the items I mentioned. No question it's a hospitable area for an event. We always had a great time there and a bunch of places to eat, drink, stay right along Pooler Parkway. 

• Like 1

Dissapointing old dominion did not get laid out better. It could have been another mid Atlantic track to use (assuming it was built up to big race standard, not "regional"). 

I was looking forward to Eagles Canyon last year before it died. 

Has Champ/Chump ever run at Summit Point?  would that track fit our needs?  I've never been but an 8 & 8 would be tempting.

@red0 is correct about Mid-Ohio.  I want to go there... never been so again tempting with something like an 8 & 8.

I am honestly hoping COTA doesn't die for 2021... High Plains seems like a nice track but... COTA is the bucket list track between the two. 

• Like 1