California Races still on ?

Hey Guys, We had a great time @ Willow Springs, had a close finish with lots of excitement, well til the transmission broke LOL. 

We were planning to attend the Fontana Roval Race and also travelling up for the Laguna Seca race which was on the schedule for New Years. 

I don't see them on the schedule any more ?,  will there be any more races in California this year.

thanks !

On 8/4/2020 at 3:31 AM, Silverbeast said:

Fontana isn't listed on the schedule.  Probably just a matter of processing everything that's shaking down.

Any early indications for what kind of Crazy 2021 will hold for this series?  Gonna be able to get back to normal?

We know what you know when it comes to the virus and our economy in general..  But the Laguna race was pushed to a Monday-Tuesday this December by track management which likely hurt attendance.  We are back in the lottery for a December weekend in 2021, assuming Laguna is still open.  I hope we can go back, I'd love to race there again.  

On 8/5/2020 at 9:54 AM, Jer said:

We know what you know when it comes to the virus and our economy in general..  But the Laguna race was pushed to a Monday-Tuesday this December by track management which likely hurt attendance.  We are back in the lottery for a December weekend in 2021, assuming Laguna is still open.  I hope we can go back, I'd love to race there again.  

The Virus/Economy situation is a mess and that mess makes it hard for even the economy to plan for itself.  We'll have to see what this winter holds.

• Like 1

COVID has forced organizations to make really though decisions. Champcar has been pouring money down the drain on West Coast tracks for years. I was told that even Seca loses money. So I totally understand why Champcar has done this and I would do the same. With this said instability like this is why so many west coast teams are leaving for Lucky Dog. Mike Chisek and crew have done a great job at avoiding canceling west coast events for many seasons but I think this is the final blow. This wasn't some "California liberals ruining things" bull cookies, Seca is running track days every weekend. Lucky Dog is still running all their west coast (and 1 east coast) races this year. LD brought 43 cars to Willow Spings in June on a weekend. As I racer I was already starting to considering Lucky Dog races over Champcar ones now because I was tired of racing 10 other cars. It kills me to think like this, I think I rock a champcar shirt 4-5 days a week. I am not saying I WONT race champcar I just think maybe its time for the org to pull the plug on the west. I am as much of a die hard member as they come and if I am thinking this way then what is the rest thinking? It's just losing the company money. I'll fly out to the east and race with you still but its time to call it quits y'all. 

Edited by Jamie
  • Like 1
On 8/7/2020 at 4:40 PM, Jamie said:

COVID has forced organizations to make really though decisions. Champcar has been pouring money down the drain on West Coast tracks for years. I was told that even Seca loses money. So I totally understand why Champcar has done this and I would do the same. With this said instability like this is why so many west coast teams are leaving for Lucky Dog. Mike Chisek and crew have done a great job at avoiding canceling west coast events for many seasons but I think this is the final blow. This wasn't some "California liberals ruining things" bull cookies, Seca is running track days every weekend. Lucky Dog is still running all their west coast (and 1 east coast) races this year. LD brought 43 cars to Willow Spings in June on a weekend. As I racer I was already starting to considering Lucky Dog races over Champcar ones now because I was tired of racing 10 other cars. It kills me to think like this, I think I rock a champcar shirt 4-5 days a week. I am not saying I WONT race champcar I just think maybe its time for the org to pull the plug on the west. I am as much of a die hard member as they come and if I am thinking this way then what is the rest thinking? It's just losing the company money. I'll fly out to the east and race with you still but its time to call it quits y'all. 

How big was the entry list?  Was it not going to be full?  How expensive it it to run there?

6 minutes ago, Silverbeast said:

How big was the entry list?  Was it not going to be full?  How expensive it it to run there?

Are you asking about Laguna Seca or Willow Springs?

At Laguna, we ran a max of 45 cars because to run more.... you pay more. It's expensive to run there and the sound restriction is pretty tough. 90 dB vs. 96 dB (ChampCar limit). It wasn't full last I checked but that was some time ago but under 'normal' conditions, it usually doesn't fill up until later in the year. Usually no big deal, but in the days of COVID.... who knows? Plus the COVID regulations at each track vary widely and can be a sticking point for some. 

At Willow Springs, it's cheaper, but I'm not sure what the track limit is. We ran 22 teams there in June and we could have had more. So no, it wasn't full. 

The expense may be a big factor, in the East, the one hugely expensive track is Indy, basically twice as much as most other tracks.  That said, it's a bucket list track, but after a couple of years, if prices stay high, it's possible the entries may shrink.  That happened with SVRA at Indy.  700 plus cars in 2014 and way down in later years.  Still a great place, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

As a counter-point to Jamie, we strongly prefer ChampCar's point based format to LRDL's arbitrary RWYB classing.

Definitely understand the situation and choices it's required, but if and when CC returns it will always be our first choice for CA-racing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Both of those races we lose money. We are ok normally as we make money at other events., but cancelling Watkins Glen really hurt us.  We had to make business decisions that many did not like, and again, we are sorry, and we will be back.
In the meantime, we really need racers to sign up AND race at the races we do have scheduled.

• Like 4
On 8/10/2020 at 1:14 PM, FlorahDorah said:

Are you asking about Laguna Seca or Willow Springs?

At Laguna, we ran a max of 45 cars because to run more.... you pay more. It's expensive to run there and the sound restriction is pretty tough. 90 dB vs. 96 dB (ChampCar limit). It wasn't full last I checked but that was some time ago but under 'normal' conditions, it usually doesn't fill up until later in the year. Usually no big deal, but in the days of COVID.... who knows? Plus the COVID regulations at each track vary widely and can be a sticking point for some. 

At Willow Springs, it's cheaper, but I'm not sure what the track limit is. We ran 22 teams there in June and we could have had more. So no, it wasn't full. 

Was asking about Laguna Seca.  It's a tough deal.  You gotta get them to move on price or get a sliding scale based on how ever many cars to can end up selling to.  Base Price and then $X per car over 45 instead of a huge lump...

10 minutes ago, Silverbeast said:

Was asking about Laguna Seca.  It's a tough deal.  You gotta get them to move on price or get a sliding scale based on how ever many cars to can end up selling to.  Base Price and then $X per car over 45 instead of a huge lump...

Well I am not the one doing the negotiating, but I will tell you this: Laguna runs a bidding war on dates. If you want to know more, I would speak to Mr. Chisek about that. 

• Like 1
On 8/10/2020 at 1:30 PM, 67Mustang said:

The expense may be a big factor, in the East, the one hugely expensive track is Indy, basically twice as much as most other tracks.  That said, it's a bucket list track, but after a couple of years, if prices stay high, it's possible the entries may shrink.  That happened with SVRA at Indy.  700 plus cars in 2014 and way down in later years.  Still a great place, but it is what it is.

Indy is actually 8 times the cost of an average race track charge for a weekend, not twice as much.  If we don't sellout Indy this year, next year may be at risk.  Glad I'm going.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, ABR-Glen said:

Hasn't Laguna sold out every event we've had there? Why would we continue to price it at a loss? :blink:

We lose money each and every time we race there.  If it doesn't sell out we lose a lot.  And yes, a couple of events it didn't sell out.  But we carry it by making more money at other events.  This year it wasn't going to sell out and attendance is down all over.  

Edited by Jer
  • Sad 1
30 minutes ago, Jer said:

This year it wasn't going to sell out and attendance is down all over.  

We're doing three more races this year to support the series. We all wish the December Sebring event wasn't bumped this year. We'd be doing four. 

3 minutes ago, Snorman said:

We're doing three more races this year to support the series. We all wish the December Sebring event wasn't bumped this year. We'd be doing four. 

It will be back next year.  I think the way the holidays fell screwed up the end of year races.  

Just now, Jer said:

It will be back next year.  I think the way the holidays fell screwed up the end of year races.  

Yeah, Bill sort of let the cat out of the bag a week or two ago and told us that it was coming back in '21. The dates in '21 aren't good either. Friday is New Years Eve. 

9 hours ago, Snorman said:

Yeah, Bill sort of let the cat out of the bag a week or two ago and told us that it was coming back in '21. The dates in '21 aren't good either. Friday is New Years Eve. 

Try as we did, they wouldn't move the holiday dates for us.  🤣

Edited by Jer
  • Haha 1