2020 Lifeline VIR 24-Hour Classic results

IMG_5246-edit.jpg

Congratulations to Pinkies Out for taking 1st and second place

VIR 24 hour results posted on Speed Hive:
https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/5827667

and on Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nynPMz5Z3RsrNTGTW0W0CfyjaaK4LeiU?usp=sharing

Lifeline USA Rain Light winnershttp://www.lifeline-fire.com/rainlight.aspx|
#304 - Danger Racing
#903 - 901 Motorsports

Lifeline Fire Suppression System winner
#986 - Flat 6 Racing

Race winner interview.
I really like the first part where Chris laughs. He hardly ever shows emotion, and to see that made me laugh. Congrats!

ChampCar.live Part 1

ChampCar.live part 2 

• Like 1
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had the stars align in a unique and awesome way.    Rounded up a solid group of drivers and crew despite the COVID issue. 3 RV's and 2 Trailers made it to the track with no issues.

Won't have an oil temp issue if you don't run an oil temp gauge     AND just to keep this thread on track congrats to @Huggy and the rest of the team.  Absolute masterpiece of a ra

I have been out of the seat for awhile. 2016 was my last full year of racing as I took on this job at ChampCar. Since then I did two races in the hyper slow Opel GT, one race in a Celica, and 1/2 a

Posted Images

• Technical Advisory Committee

My personal race report.  I had fun hangin with the Huggins crew again, as is always the case.  Top notch folks.  I had the privilege of driving their winning car 3 stints.  It was hot as hell.  The end.  

• Like 8

Solid showing and a fun race to watch, even when Bill was in the 944.  Also liked the in car from the S2000, man that thing was on rails.  There were some sections with traffic that looked like they might become a problem, but for the most part the driver stayed smooth and made some good solid passes.

If you can't be there, next best is watching it live lol.  Now I just need to get that big screen hung up on the wall out int he garage so I actually accomplish something as well.

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, Burningham said:

My personal race report.  I had fun hangin with the Huggins crew again, as is always the case.  Top notch folks.  I had the privilege of driving their winning car 3 stints.  It was hot as hell.  The end.  

micdrop.gif

1 hour ago, Burningham said:

yep- that about sums it up- I think you hit all the highlights....

• Haha 1

I have been out of the seat for awhile.
2016 was my last full year of racing as I took on this job at ChampCar. Since then I did two races in the hyper slow Opel GT, one race in a Celica, and 1/2 a stint in the MR2 GTv6 at Utah, and one rain race at VIR in 2018. So it's been quite awhile since I had any seat time.

I was really excited about racing in the 24 with Visceral. I was finally able to drive a Porsche in a race. Been a dream for me since I was a kid.

But I was also afraid of how bad my performance would be. When I ran the MR2 at the December 2018 VIR north races, I thought I would just hop in and be able to kick off stupid fast lap times like the old days. That's when I remembered how important seat time is. I had none. I made really bad decisions in that race, especially with being over confident. I vowed that I would not do that again. Especially driving someone else's car, that I was financially responsible for.

Not only was I racing, but I was the onsite producer for the ChampCar.live show.

Saturday morning. I wake up at 4am. Race mornings are always really stressful for me due to all the work I have to do before we go live with the show.  Now I am adding the onsite studio for Doc and guests, the live track cameras, and the live in-car cameras.

Saturday practice went well. I got about 15 minutes in the car to familiarize myself with the way the car handled.  That was enough to know that the car handled really well, and I could forget about the car and work on me and my driving.  I fit the car, sorta. As most know, I have a shape, round. Doc may have mentioned that about eleventy-hundred times during the broadcast. My own car has a seat that fits me. The bars in the seat put some pretty bad pressure on my hips. This may have contributed to cramping in my legs later on.
But, I can work around all that. 

I got all the local assets working for the show, then reported to Viscerals paddock spot. 

I feel pukey from the stress. I keep thinking about how bad I am going to do, will I look silly, will I hurt the equipment, or worse yet, hurt someone elses day? Crap like that.

They strap me in the car, we roll out, and I am at the back of the pack, in 47th place. I am right behind the fast looking RVA Graphics and Wraps E46 M3 driven by some big guy named Justin Andress. He is some ex-football star turned race winner. I quickly get on his tail, and I am fighting for position. I think I have him positioned for the perfect pass, but remember that we are still in the formation laps and under yellow.  As soon as the flag goes green I am on it. But cautiously. I am making some passes. Trying to be clean. Stay away from peeps. Don't hurt the duct tape. My drivers contract said I was responsible for any damage I do to the car. I was trying hard not to think about how much 200 roles of duct tape costs. Probably a lot. 

The second lap was insane. As we come down roller coast I am caught up in the mass of cars that were slower. Oh my... this is why I love to start the race. Traffic management is so much fun. I may or may not have screamed that on the radio! It was so much fun. so many cars lumped together. 3 wide on the front straight. 2 wide going up the esses, and finally getting by that group on the front straight on lap 3 when everyone gets in single files rows.

I can settle down and work on my driving now. I am doing 2:25 to 2:28 laps. I remember Ron telling me I needed to average 2:20s. So I need to work on this a lot. This being skill. 
On lap 44 I am told to pit. My two hours are up on a FCY. perfect. I pull into our spot. Go to jump out, and my leg cramps that started 2 laps ago come back and make it hard for me to get out of the car. As I push my head bast the roll bar, one of the helpers grabs my shoulders to assist, so I give a final pust just as he lets go and I go crashing to the pit lane like a face plant. All I could think about was I hope that there are no cameras nearby, Doc would never let me live that down. Ever.

I took us to 12th place. Blew me away.

Ron gets in the car and does a 1:20. Ok. I have some thinking to do.
Where was I going wrong? Well one thing I know is that the AIM SOLO was dot set the way I like it. It was set to lap times, and not predictive timing. So after talking with troy, I was able to remember how to cycle through the types of timing. But I also thought about how I was taking corners, and sorted out the mistakes I made. The biggest one was not trusting the car.

Sunday. I am doing the 8am to 10am stint. Seriously. I was thinking of just asking the team to put me in for an hour, if at all. But then, I just needed to man up and push all my doubt to the side, and do this mofo. Just get out there and be a racing driver. Go fast, go fast, go fast.

So that's what I did.  Well, kinda. Fast for me.
I think trusting the car and the tires, and having some racing skill return, I was able to really get back into the the low 2:20s. I focused on the Aim Solo and was finally able to get a 2:19.
The racing was fun too. At one point I had my sights on the Fiero. One can never let a Fiero beat me. Well, that did not go as planned as that car was fast, and one I could just not catch. As any good competitor know, you then put your focus on something more attainable. Like staying ahead of NLS, who after their win at Charlotte I knew would feel cocky with that fast little car. 
I went in in 13th place. And pretty much held us there the whole stint, putting us into 12th a few laps from my two hour limit. Ron then took over, and on his 4th lap out, laid down a 2:15. So there goes my excuse of the tires being old. 

I loved it. This was so much fun getting back into the seat of a top car. Thanks to Visceral, Ron, Jay, James, and Justin, Ron's father, and Troy. This is one hell of a team. Ron prepared a hell of a car, and now I know why he has so many trophies. 

Now, time to get back to my day job. 

• Like 15
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

The racing was fun too. At one point I had my sights on the Fiero. One can never let a Fiero beat me. Well, that did not go as planned as that car was fast, and one I could just not catch. 

I had a lot of fun racing during that stint time, between you and the red bull liveried boxster. I love it when I get told over the radio to light the wick when the fuel range for the stint looks good. I hate putting around at a pace, but the car can do basically the whole track in 4th and 5th gears  short shifting and still do a 2:24.

4 minutes ago, dwendel said:

I had a lot of fun racing during that stint time, between you and the red bull liveried boxster. I love it when I get told over the radio to light the wick when the fuel range for the stint looks good. I hate putting around at a pace, but the car can do basically the whole track in 4th and 5th gears  short shifting and still do a 2:24.

Your car looked good out there.  Thanks for getting the thread back on track. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Burningham said:

Your car looked good out there.  Thanks for getting the thread back on track. 

Thanks, the team and I worked on the car basically every day after work since the Charlotte race to get it back up to full potential. 
Sucks a bit that I was attempting a brave move, that I am sure all of us would have also attempted, and got tagged left rear, bending the though bolt for the lower control arms. Took about 40 min to fix. Which was a bit longer then I would have liked for that repair job. But red mist while fixing the car leads to misplacing sockets that are right in front of you.
But hey, that is racing. 

12 minutes ago, dwendel said:

Congrats on finishing the race.  I always thought just finishing a 24 was a prize in my book.    How come you guys didn't run the 17s pace average you said the car could do?  looks like only 46 out of 448 laps were 2:24 or quicker.

2 hours ago, 67Mustang said:

Solid showing and a fun race to watch, even when Bill was in the 944.  Also liked the in car from the S2000, man that thing was on rails.  There were some sections with traffic that looked like they might become a problem, but for the most part the driver stayed smooth and made some good solid passes.

If you can't be there, next best is watching it live lol.  Now I just need to get that big screen hung up on the wall out int he garage so I actually accomplish something as well.

I really enjoy watching Nelson Canache drive (2x Rolex winner. he drove the S2k at race start). Dude is fast and smooth like few I've ever seen.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, dwendel said:

Thanks, the team and I worked on the car basically every day after work since the Charlotte race to get it back up to full potential. 
Sucks a bit that I was attempting a brave move, that I am sure all of us would have also attempted, and got tagged left rear, bending the though bolt for the lower control arms. Took about 40 min to fix. Which was a bit longer then I would have liked for that repair job. But red mist while fixing the car leads to misplacing sockets that are right in front of you.
But hey, that is racing. 

Glad to see you guys out there on track at the end! What issue did you have earlier? 

Car is pretty sweet looking with the aero and how low to the ground it is.

Had a great time at the race, despite the exhaustion of staying up way past my bedtime. Big thanks to all the other teams, Champcar staff and VIR for making this happen and keeping it fun....

I had the pleasure of two stints in Pinkies Aero car, one with daylight and the other at 2:00am or so. Chris not only builds driver friendly, fast & reliable race cars, but also knows that these races are won as much off the track as they are on-it.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

How come you guys didn't run the 17s pace average you said the car could do?  looks like only 46 out of 448 laps were 2:24 or quicker.

A few things, doing 17s would result in burning all 12 gallons in about 1hr30, and puts quite a bit more stress on things. Going up the esses in 4th poping the limiter is way faster then using 5th for example. But I we backed down to a 24 to 30 pace it would be fine. Some of our drivers are not the next Micheal Schumacer and had trouble getting the car down to a 24 under hard driving. Also some of that was just to rile you guys up. 

16 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Glad to see you guys out there on track at the end! What issue did you have earlier? 

Car is pretty sweet looking with the aero and how low to the ground it is.

The only issue early was due to the incident with a mustang. Bent suspension bolt. 
It only looks low due to the side skirts and stuff, take all that off and it looks dumb with about 4 inches of fender gap. Cut springs life yo. 

One of the Racing For Heros guys did a small shoot with us during a pit stop, came out very cool. Other then that we have no idea how to remove a battery from the new radios. jhahah. 

Edited by dwendel
1 minute ago, ElectricGold said:

Had a great time at the race, despite the exhaustion of staying up way past my bedtime. Big thanks to all the other teams, Champcar staff and VIR for making this happen and keeping it fun....

Two years ago @MoparBoyy and I drove back to Florida after the race. I was so tired I was sort of hallucinating while driving, lol.

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

Congrats on finishing the race.  I always thought just finishing a 24 was a prize in my book.    How come you guys didn't run the 17s pace average you said the car could do?  looks like only 46 out of 448 laps were 2:24 or quicker.

Ugh....the tires....and me personally were two big issues

We switched to Kooks from Rivals for this event because of pricing and better adverse condition tires. The practice session before the race was our first laps on them. The car didn't like them, especially under braking. I didn't have near the confidence on them as the Rivals. We also still had some residual frame damage from Charlotte that compromised our alignment and we didn't get it fixed in time as our alignment appointment was the day before the race. We added a little more wing once we had been through the driver rotation once and that helped a bunch.

I personally failed the team big time at this race. I went out in the first stint and was doing really well in the first half of the stint. Went from somewhere in the 40s to 11th place. Managed a 2:19 trying to figure out how to make the tires work with what I had and getting through traffic. Unfortunately, after an hour the cool shirt stopped being cool (I didn't put enough ice in it) and I overheated quickly. My pace dropped severely and I was struggling in the car. I called the team and told them to get ready to switch. I managed to get out of the car on my own and across the wall, but once I sat down it was all I could do not to pass out. Luckily my girlfriend had some pedialyte ready and a cold towel. I spent the next hour cooling off and trying to breath normally. I was only able to do one more stint, the first night shift, and never felt physically sound enough to get back in the car after that. 

The night stints were rough due to visibility. We have OK headlights, but the light housings themselves actually block some of your vision. I've only driven the car at night one time prior many years ago. That's something we are definitely fixing. I was multiple seconds faster once a car would pass me and I could use their lights to see where I was going.  

Three of our drivers had little time in the car before the race. Even the car owner hadn't seen it in 7 years and we invited him down from Ohio to drive with us. It's tough to get people who want to pay to drive a Fiero. Hopefully our showing at this race will help that.

The car owner said that from what he can see on the car and how it drove it's probably best we just start over with another one. This chassis might just be too beat up.

I'm really proud of our team and how they overcame crash damage and my problems to finish the way they did. 

Edited by XelderX
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Two years ago @MoparBoyy and I drove back to Florida after the race. I was so tired I was sort of hallucinating while driving, lol.

The 3rd year we did the all nighter for the show, I drove home after the race. I fell asleep at least 5 times while driving. 

• Like 3

Sigh...  Speaking of safety I think this was 2 of the last 3 VIR 24's that ended up with a fatality on track.  Poor goose.  Which one of y'all did that?  

• Haha 4
38 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

I really enjoy watching Nelson Canache drive (2x Rolex winner. he drove the S2k at race start). Dude is fast and smooth like few I've ever seen.

Nelson was also in the Red Bull Boxster for a Couple stints, I lost track of who drive when.