2020 Lifeline VIR 24-Hour Classic results

15 minutes ago, XelderX said:

Ugh....the tires....and me personally were two big issues

We switched to Kooks from Rivals for this event because of pricing and better adverse condition tires. The practice session before the race was our first laps on them. The car didn't like them, especially under braking. I didn't have near the confidence on them as the Rivals. We also still had some residual frame damage from Charlotte that compromised our alignment and we didn't get it fixed in time as our alignment appointment was the day before the race. We added a little more wing once we had been through the driver rotation once and that helped a bunch.

I personally failed the team big time at this race. I went out in the first stint and was doing really well in the first half of the stint. Went from somewhere in the 40s to 11th place. Managed a 2:19 trying to figure out how to make the tires work with what I had and getting through traffic. Unfortunately, after an hour the cool shirt stopped being cool (I didn't put enough ice in it) and I overheated quickly. My pace dropped severely and I was struggling in the car. I called the team and told them to get ready to switch. I managed to get out of the car on my own and across the wall, but once I sat down it was all I could do not to pass out. Luckily my girlfriend had some pedialyte ready and a cold towel. I spent the next hour cooling off and trying to breath normally. I was only able to do one more stint, the first night shift, and never felt physically sound enough to get back in the car after that. 

The night stints were rough due to visibility. We have OK headlights, but the light housings themselves actually block some of your vision. I've only driven the car at night one time prior many years ago. That's something we are definitely fixing. I was multiple seconds faster once a car would pass me and I could use their lights to see where I was going.  

Three of our drivers had little time in the car before the race. Even the car owner hadn't seen it in 7 years and we invited home down from Ohio to drive with us. It's tough to get people who want to pay to drive a Fiero. Hopefully our showing at this race will help that.

The car owner said that from what he can see on the car and how it drove it's probably best we just start over with another one. This chassis might just be too beat up.

I'm really proud of our team and how they overcame crash damage and my problems to finish the way they did. 

Heat exhaustion can be tough to rebound from in the short 24 race window. Hopefully you fully recovered without any after effects. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had the stars align in a unique and awesome way.    Rounded up a solid group of drivers and crew despite the COVID issue. 3 RV's and 2 Trailers made it to the track with no issues.

Won't have an oil temp issue if you don't run an oil temp gauge     AND just to keep this thread on track congrats to @Huggy and the rest of the team.  Absolute masterpiece of a ra

I have been out of the seat for awhile. 2016 was my last full year of racing as I took on this job at ChampCar. Since then I did two races in the hyper slow Opel GT, one race in a Celica, and 1/2 a

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, XelderX said:

I personally failed the team big time at this race. I went out in the first stint and was doing really well in the first half of the stint. Went from somewhere in the 40s to 11th place. Managed a 2:19 trying to figure out how to make the tires work with what I had and getting through traffic. Unfortunately, after an hour the cool shirt stopped being cool (I didn't put enough ice in it) and I overheated quickly. My pace dropped severely and I was struggling in the car. I called the team and told them to get ready to switch. I managed to get out of the car on my own and across the wall, but once I sat down it was all I could do not to pass out. Luckily my girlfriend had some pedialyte ready and a cold towel. I spent the next hour cooling off and trying to breath normally. I was only able to do one more stint, the first night shift, and never felt physically sound enough to get back in the car after that. 

I've now had 2 incidents of near heat exhaustion in cars without (or with insufficient) cool suit systems.

I kid you not, I've turned down free stints in cars with no cool suit. I've brought mine to install in cars i've rented seats in before. Not worth it to me anymore and it sucks really bad when you get overheated in a car.

Keeping my system working well in hot weather is one of my highest priorities!

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 5
51 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Two years ago @MoparBoyy and I drove back to Florida after the race. I was so tired I was sort of hallucinating while driving, lol.

Yea I made it about 30min outside of Danville yesterday and had to pull over for a quick nap, if not I knew bad things were going to happen.

• Like 2

Heat.
I was trying the new Walero fire resistant undies. They are temp regulating.
They are stupid pricey too. But... 

Worth every single dollar. The hoodie was awesome as were the undies as there were zero pressure points that bugged me. and they pulled sweat away from me. My OMP overalls were soaked with sweat, but I was cool inside. It's hard to explain. But they worked awesome.

https://www.walero.uk/temperature-regulating-flame-retardant-race-products/

HMS Motorsports sells the whole collection while I think that Discovery can also get them.
https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/Base-Layers

Combined with the ChillOut System and my coolshirt, it was the best I have ever felt in the car. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I imagine the paper mâché 944 has excellent ventilation since there is almost no car left.

A serious question though, has anyone used lizard skin ceramic coating to lower in car temps?  Each of our drivers, even the young whipper snapper were more than done after just over an hour in our E36, it is an oven in that thing.  We are going to try to keep heat from coming in from the exhaust/floor and try to get cross ventilation as it was miserable.

• Technical Advisory Committee
1 minute ago, Schultz said:

I imagine the paper mâché 944 has excellent ventilation since there is almost no car left.

A serious question though, has anyone used lizard skin ceramic coating to lower in car temps?  Each of our drivers, even the young whipper snapper were more than done after just over an hour in our E36, it is an oven in that thing.  We are going to try to keep heat from coming in from the exhaust/floor and try to get cross ventilation as it was miserable.

I was able to score some thermal resistant coating that I applied to the firewall and tunnel of our previous car.  It works pretty well in industrial environments to insulate tanks, etc but it just didn't give any meaningful results on the car.

• Like 1

Thank you to all ChampCar staff and teams for putting on this event under challenging times. Despite the necessary restrictions, I thought that the event retained much of the atmosphere of previous 24s and it's still a special place to be at 3am (for better or for worse). This was our first event of the year after the disruption of the 2020 schedule, and our first since the 24 last year, and despite a reduced team size due to travel restrictions we were all keen to get back on track. 

Team Hugh Jass Race Recap

Arrived on Friday to set up our spot in the paddock - already very hot and we were grateful for multiple canopies to provide shade whilst working on the car. Broke out our 2020 fashionable masks to assure safety and style for the event. Finished the last prep items on our checklist and covered up the car for tomorrow, ordered some pizza, and enjoyed a few beers with friends we hadn't seen for a year. @Doc stopped by to catch up on the latest gossip and then we headed over to deliver @Huggy a case of delicious Hefeweizen as prize for winning the ChampCar iRacing Special Event series that we ran during the most severe days of lockdown. Had a good chat with @Hurljohn and @mindspin311; nice to meet those guys as well.

Saturday practice was spent getting our two latest iRacing converts their first taste of track time, both did well for their first time in the car and felt a bit more comfortable in preparation for the race. Got underway with the usual traffic excitement as our little Miata gets swallowed up on the straights, but quickly found a rhythm and Mr @Hugh Jass had an excellent time stabilising our race and setting some quick laps. Unfortunately it seemed we had underfilled our car on the grid and we ran out of fuel after only 1hr 30 of the first stint. This unexpected appearance caused a bit of rushing in the pits as I had to suit up quickly and jump in for the second stint. Had some fun out there on a very hot track, setting some decent times and moving us up the order. We then cycled through our stints as planned, slowly moving up the field and enjoying wheel to wheel action. 

Our first rookie got in for his stint around 5pm and was quick to get comfortable on track. However, after about an hour of driving he reported on the radio that he was feeling distinctly unwell and unfortunately had to pit due to a combination of heat exhaustion and motion sickness, bumping up our stint schedule yet again. We quickly reshuffled our driver order and continued lapping; fortunately the lightning delay put us right back onto the new schedule and we raced into the night. 

By midnight we were running ~15th overall and 3rd in class. Unfortunately our other rookie was also not feeling too great at this stage and made the decision that he wasn't fit to drive, so we were down to 3 drivers for the rest of the race. Continued through the small hours with the usual excitement of night racing (poor visibility and surprise lappers) and were up to 12th by 5am. Unfortunately, at this point a bad noise was coming from the left front and a paddock inspection revealed a broken wheel bearing. We sourced a replacement from SparrowSpeed (thanks chaps) and sent the car back out, but were quickly back with reports of the same issue on the right front. At that point, out of contention for serious places and severely compromised on drivers, we decided to cut our losses and save any further wear on the car by retiring. 

It was great to be back on track after a year, and we enjoyed the atmosphere and camaraderie in the ChampCar paddock. We will be raring to go for Indy in a month and hope to meet some more familiar faces. Thank you to those teams that stopped by our paddock spot to show appreciation for running the iRacing Series and Special Events, was gratifying to hear how much they were enjoyed this year and I hope they continue to introduce ChampCar to new drivers and supporters.

Cheers!

image.png.5f3d53138e24cb330998b4da824b2657.png

• Like 9

---- #977 NLS Racing race report ----

We entered VIR fresh off our first victory, so needless to say we were feeling pretty good about our chances. The car was all sorted out and prepped for 24 hours of punishment. We had our usual line up of drivers with 2 additional renters, one of whom had never even sat in our car before. A quick few laps during practice for the new guys and then the rapidly approaching green flag. 
Started 29th and drove up to 12th when our 1st driver radioed in that something was terribly wrong with the rear suspension. Wonderful, only 30mins into the race and were behind the wall. Turns out the rear lower ball joint pulled out of its mount. A borrowed welder later (thanks Brew Krew), we were back on track and the car was back to full speed, although our lofty expectations of a win were gone. At this point we were shooting for a top 10 at best. 
We pressed on for the next few stints logging laps and picking em off one at a time. But that pesky ball joint reared its ugly head again. This time its was an all or nothing fix as we had not brought our spares for the rear suspension (never again). We welded the fool outta that thing and just prayed it would hold together, only needed it to last for 17 more hours. And hold together it did, as we were able to finish the rest of the race relatively drama free, except for the warped rotors that would shake your fillings loose and our final driver cooked it into Oak Tree and tagged the tire wall with about 15mins left in the race. To his defense, we were pushing him, as we were gaining rapidly on 5th position and would've liked that top 5 finish. All in all, we are stoked with our result. 6th was better than most of us could've hoped for early in the race. 
I personally had my most fun race ever chasing down Bill Strong in the Visceral car. I never could get around him but it was an awesome 30-45mins of chasing. 
As usual, great race Champcar, keep up the good work. A big thanks to everybody that makes this happen, Champcar staff, corner workers, volunteers, family and friends. And a tip of the hat to Chris and the 2 Pinkies Out cars/drivers. 1-2 finish at the 24, doesn't get much better than that. We'll be back soon, maybe AMP, but definitely be at VIR North.

• Like 10
40 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

I was blown away by the amount of tape on that car.

I was walking by when they lifted the "hood" I think I said WTF out loud. 
I need to know what the actual tape is. All the tape we use falls off. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, dwendel said:

I was walking by when they lifted the "hood" I think I said WTF out loud. 
I need to know what the actual tape is. All the tape we use falls off. 

Gorilla tape works really well!

..but i don't think that's what it is on the visceral car.

Edited by Slugworks Paul
4 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Heat.
They are stupid pricey too. But... 

Worth every single dollar. The hoodie was awesome as were the undies as there were zero pressure points that bugged me. and they pulled sweat away from me. My OMP overalls were soaked with sweat, but I was cool inside. It's hard to explain. But they worked awesome.

https://www.walero.uk/temperature-regulating-flame-retardant-race-products/

HMS Motorsports sells the whole collection while I think that Discovery can also get them.
https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/Base-Layers

Combined with the ChillOut System and my coolshirt, it was the best I have ever felt in the car. 

Yea our teammate swears by them

• Like 1

Good racing everyone! I only had a small incident near the beginning where it seemed like everyone was racing to the last helicopter out of Vietnam. 

Apologies in advance as my other drivers were new to the track. 

We continually combatted a fueling issue but limped across the finish. Lots to do to get ready for indy!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Bill...you said "hoodie". Are you talking about the "head sock"? I need a new balaclava so wondering if this might be a good choice instead of the usual OMP. Did you have cooling in your helmet (forced air)? 

2 hours ago, RandomTask said:

Good racing everyone! I only had a small incident near the beginning where it seemed like everyone was racing to the last helicopter out of Vietnam. 

Apologies in advance as my other drivers were new to the track. 

I was in maximum attack mode and kept coming up on huge packs of cars. I think I passed 30 cars in less than 5 laps. I'm pretty sure it was all clean but there were a few close encounters. It was probably the craziest first 5 laps I've ever been in. Super fun. Wish there was video, but we didn't get the live stream working until after my stint. 

7 hours ago, XelderX said:

I was in maximum attack mode and kept coming up on huge packs of cars. I think I passed 30 cars in less than 5 laps. I'm pretty sure it was all clean but there were a few close encounters. It was probably the craziest first 5 laps I've ever been in. Super fun. Wish there was video, but we didn't get the live stream working until after my stint. 

Maximum attack? In the first 5 laps of a 24? 🤨

• Haha 5
12 hours ago, bigyellow said:

I personally had my most fun race ever chasing down Bill Strong in the Visceral car. I never could get around him but it was an awesome 30-45mins of chasing. 

Bill actually talked about that during the broadcast. He was trying to catch the car in front of him, but when he couldn't he decided his next goal would be to keep you behind him. BTW, that was E Racing's welder you used, not Brew Krewe's. It's easy to loan things when you don't own them....Hahaha. Of course we asked; at least I think we did.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
11 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Maximum attack? In the first 5 laps of a 24? 🤨

My goal before we knew our starting position was to get to the top 10 and stay then pace as best as possible while staying there. Getting to start 43rd meant that was going to be a chore. Luckily it seemed like everyone else was on the "don't screw this up in the first 5 laps" strategy so it wasn't difficult to find a hole when needed. 

5 minutes ago, dwendel said:

He is a sprint racer, that is like 50% of a SCCA race. 

I've done 45 minute races before....:)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, XelderX said:

My goal before we knew our starting position was to get to the top 10 and stay then pace as best as possible while staying there. Getting to start 43rd meant that was going to be a chore. Luckily it seemed like everyone else was on the "don't screw this up in the first 5 laps" strategy so it wasn't difficult to find a hole when needed. 

I've done 45 minute races before....:)

I prefer the 'coming out of nowhere' approach :D