2020 Lifeline VIR 24-Hour Classic results

4 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

I prefer the 'coming out of nowhere' approach :D

I'm more of a shock and awe kinda guy. Plus it's demoralizing to get out handled and out straightawayed by a Fiero in your 1st 5 minutes on track. Like Bill said, no one wants to be slower than the Fiero. Seems like most 1st stint drivers were smart enough to not chase....and put enough ice in the coolbox. FML

Edited by XelderX
  • Like 2
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had the stars align in a unique and awesome way.    Rounded up a solid group of drivers and crew despite the COVID issue. 3 RV's and 2 Trailers made it to the track with no issues.

Won't have an oil temp issue if you don't run an oil temp gauge     AND just to keep this thread on track congrats to @Huggy and the rest of the team.  Absolute masterpiece of a ra

I have been out of the seat for awhile. 2016 was my last full year of racing as I took on this job at ChampCar. Since then I did two races in the hyper slow Opel GT, one race in a Celica, and 1/2 a

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Snorman said:

Bill...you said "hoodie". Are you talking about the "head sock"? I need a new balaclava so wondering if this might be a good choice instead of the usual OMP. Did you have cooling in your helmet (forced air)? 

Yes, the balaclava. 
https://discoveryparts.com/auto-racing-fire-resistant-balaclava/3812-walero-balaclava-one-eye-walero-400020-400021.html

No helmet cooling. I even had my helmet barely cracked when I was racing. which when I think about it, is weird. 

I use a GForce carbon fiber helmet SA2010. I also have a NoSweat liner in my helmet to protect my glasses
https://nosweatco.com/products/football-liners

• Technical Advisory Committee
51 minutes ago, XelderX said:

Plus it's demoralizing to get out handled and out straightawayed by a Fiero in your 1st 5 minutes on track.

Why would that be demoralizing? It's a car...driven by a driver...in a race.  I would probably just think, I wonder if that car will be around at the end?  

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Maximum attack? In the first 5 laps of a 24? 🤨

Some people were full crazy on the first couple laps. My incident involved another team coming into T12 way too hot. I had to make room for them otherwise they would have taken us both out. And by room, I mean a LOT of room. As in all 4 into the dirt room. 

33 minutes ago, Burningham said:

Why would that be demoralizing? It's a car...driven by a driver...in a race.  I would probably just think, I wonder if that car will be around at the end?  

We were wondering the same thing. I did hold my aggression for about half a lap, but once I got around a big pack of cars and I was capable of being much faster I wanted to get through and away from them as quickly as possible. It was actually kind of weird as there were two or three groups of 10 or so cars each that were all bottlenecked up. I didn't really want to spend a lot of time in the middle of all that.

Once I got to around 14th or so and had less traffic I started lifting at the first brake markers and started fighting more with my drink tube than anything on track. 

Speaking of coming out of nowhere....  I had a little cool suit incident during my 1st stint. Luckily it was during the long oil spill caution.  Its surprising how much water those things can pump while filling up your crotch with icy cold water.

Edited by tyler_j
  • Haha 12
13 hours ago, Snorman said:

Bill...you said "hoodie". Are you talking about the "head sock"? I need a new balaclava so wondering if this might be a good choice instead of the usual OMP. Did you have cooling in your helmet (forced air)? 

Also have a teammate who bought just the head sock and after one session in the car went out and bought the whole getup.  Im close to pulling the trigger...I just need to find the funds.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, the5 said:

Anyone know how to get in Contact with the Flat On One Side 240SX EC Car Number 127? 

One person on my team told them one of my tools was theirs as the guy on my team didnt know. 

Your best bet is to email Mike Chisek

I was fortunate to be given a chance to drive the #146 aero car built by @Huggy. I was even more fortunate to receive not 1, but 2 night stints; roughly 10pm-12am, and then back in around 415am to 615am. Having not been at VIR since the 24 in 2018, I was pretty damn nervous as I was getting ready to get in the car, about to embark on 2hrs in the pitch black. My first 5 or so laps out were atrocious as I re-calibrated myself with whatever landmarks I could see. After that I settled in pretty nicely and just started to turn laps. I was able to hit a couple 2:19s, but about halfway through the stint I backed off to conserve fuel so I could make it to 2hrs. My second stint was a complete fuel saving stint, the lead had grown through the night and the goal at that time was to just stay out of trouble. I shot for a 2:25 pace, +/- 2s as needed to ensure there was absolutely no concerns about getting to the full 2hrs. Felt pretty happy with myself to be on pace with the rest of the team, even in the dead of night.

Edited by mindspin311
  • Like 5

Brew Krewe Racing #86 recap: I can't comment too much as I was in the ChampCar Live broadcast booth most of the time, but I made it down to the pits a few times. Here goes. We started well back of the field as pit  #14 started and we were in #10. Arjun started in P43 and moved us up to 16th, before pitting on lap 36 at the 1 1/2 hour mark. We were disappointed at only getting 1 1/2 hour out of our tank, but we didn't have the speed/lap times to challenge for the win anyway. With a relatively new build we just wanted to finish. We had some veterans driving with us from Blue Bayou and Michael Bulls from Running Bulls Racing but up next was our very own Matt Harper, our teammate and the owner of Flyin' Wrench. After dropping to P30, Matt had us up in P23 when the car started overheating. We had a leak somewhere in the system, later to be found as a crack in the hard crossover tube, so we had to extend our pitstops and add water throughout the race. No head gasket problem thank goodness. The rest of the night was spent with one eye on the guage and the other on the track. Not an easy task at VIR in the dark at all. We soldiered on and left with a 14th overall and running at the finish. Oh yeah, we had to go behind the wall with a cracked exhaust flange, but we fixed that and didn't drop a spot.

I have to thank E Racing's Elon Goran and the crew krewe he brings to support us. They are invaluable for pit and paddock support. Thanks to all the volunteers, staff, emergency and flagging crews krewes for the excellent job they all do. I'd like to thank my fellow ChampCar Live! broadcasters for a job well done as well. The laughs we share are priceless and make being out of the car as much fun as being out of the car can be.... This was our 2nd 24 hour race and improved our finish 4 spots. At this rate in 3 1/2 years we should win this thing. Correct? It's a simple math thing, right??? Congrats to Pinkies Out for the 1-2 finish. Especially rewarding for them must have been that @Huggy was driving the 246 "Swap entry and his Dad was driving the original car, the "Aero". Talk about making some Father/Son memories!!! We should all be so lucky good.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 5

Just out of curiosity...

Did the BBY Honda S2000 start with penalty laps? I just realized it's a 500pt car, but it had a wing and hood vents. Not trying to call someone out....just wondering if I missed another tech desk ruling or something. 

15 minutes ago, XelderX said:

Just out of curiosity...

Did the BBY Honda S2000 start with penalty laps? I just realized it's a 500pt car, but it had a wing and hood vents. Not trying to call someone out....just wondering if I missed another tech desk ruling or something. 

that's a good question- I think we asked but never got an answer-  @Huggy did you ever hear anything?

On 8/11/2020 at 5:57 AM, XelderX said:

Plus it's demoralizing to get out handled and out straightawayed by a Fiero in your 1st 5 minutes on track. Like Bill said, no one MR2s don't want to be slower than the Fiero. 

FIFY. ;)

I found that people either thought I was cheating or the Fiero should have a higher value; it was never about whether I outdrove them or not. 

1 minute ago, mender said:

FIFY. ;)

I found that people either thought I was cheating or the Fiero should have a higher value; it was never about whether I outdrove them or not. 

It was that invisible ink you covered cylinders seven and eight with that they were looking for!! 😄

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, XelderX said:

Just out of curiosity...

Race Monitor showed them at -1 lap when we started.  I think that would be 2 laps which would equate to 10 points for a 24 hour race.  The AP1 is 500 points, I assume that is the model they claimed along with whatever fix point value items were claimed.  The AP2 is shown as 520 points which would have been 4 laps with no fixed point items.

Well, after 3 years of near 0 mechanical issues we were sidelined by a rear hub shearing. Not something you see everyday but that’s how it goes and we had a great time partying our faces off in the paddock Saturday night. 

Pinkies- wow what a dominant performance, 2:13 in the aero car with the M20 was warp speed, we were used to the swap car being faster than it. And on RS4’s!!!!!! That’s about 5 seconds beyond our reach on RS4’s. 
Fantastic job, great drivers and development. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Burningham said:

Race Monitor showed them at -1 lap when we started.  I think that would be 2 laps which would equate to 10 points for a 24 hour race.  The AP1 is 500 points, I assume that is the model they claimed along with whatever fix point value items were claimed.  The AP2 is shown as 520 points which would have been 4 laps with no fixed point items.

It was listed as 2003, so AP1. With wing and I believe 4 vents on the front....520 points. No biggie. We were pretty certain their transmission wouldn't last....any idea what took them out?