2020 Lifeline VIR 24-Hour Classic results

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had the stars align in a unique and awesome way.    Rounded up a solid group of drivers and crew despite the COVID issue. 3 RV's and 2 Trailers made it to the track with no issues.

Won't have an oil temp issue if you don't run an oil temp gauge     AND just to keep this thread on track congrats to @Huggy and the rest of the team.  Absolute masterpiece of a ra

I have been out of the seat for awhile. 2016 was my last full year of racing as I took on this job at ChampCar. Since then I did two races in the hyper slow Opel GT, one race in a Celica, and 1/2 a

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Huggy said:

FBFC2EB4-FB01-4E79-9B16-BA646AB40B1C.jpeg

Was watching the in car of 246 for the race and noticed at night the red light above the driver. Do you run LEDs above the driver for in car camera visibility/pitting? Does it interfere with the driver visibility of the dash/road ahead? It provides a nice ambiance lol. 

congrats on the 1-2. Impressive race. 

On 8/12/2020 at 9:43 AM, JCrist said:

Well, after 3 years of near 0 mechanical issues we were sidelined by a rear hub shearing.

I picked y’all to win but I didn’t realize the pace Pinkies had in pocket when I did. Stupid alternator/water pump belt took out our primary car. Can you provide pictures of the hub?.......crazy. That’s one spare I don’t keep in the trailer (I know you are e46 but....). 

32 minutes ago, frankrehnelt said:

I picked y’all to win but I didn’t realize the pace Pinkies had in pocket when I did. Stupid alternator/water pump belt took out our primary car. Can you provide pictures of the hub?.......crazy. That’s one spare I don’t keep in the trailer (I know you are e46 but....). 

After what COTA did to our car we decided to keep new front hubs with extended race studs already pressed into them in our spares boxes in the trailer. 

On 8/12/2020 at 10:43 AM, JCrist said:

Well, after 3 years of near 0 mechanical issues we were sidelined by a rear hub shearing. Not something you see everyday but that’s how it goes and we had a great time partying our faces off in the paddock Saturday night. 

Pinkies- wow what a dominant performance, 2:13 in the aero car with the M20 was warp speed, we were used to the swap car being faster than it. And on RS4’s!!!!!! That’s about 5 seconds beyond our reach on RS4’s. 
Fantastic job, great drivers and development. 

I have video of this if you would like it, covered my windshield in rubber 

1 hour ago, MichaelPal said:

Was watching the in car of 246 for the race and noticed at night the red light above the driver. Do you run LEDs above the driver for in car camera visibility/pitting? Does it interfere with the driver visibility of the dash/road ahead? It provides a nice ambiance lol. 

congrats on the 1-2. Impressive race. 

The AIM dash is red at night. Maybe that was it

4 minutes ago, the5 said:

I always thought it was interesting you guys turn them red at night. 

For me Red=bad, so I keep it just on the white

Red and green light don't cause pupil contraction like white light does, so you maintain your "night vision". Hang out with an amateur astronomer/stargazer for a night and you'll see they carry red or green filtered flashlights.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, the5 said:

I always thought it was interesting you guys turn them red at night. 

For me Red=bad, so I keep it just on the white

It was white for my first night stint with the aim and couldn’t  see crap...

Complained like an old man, then Chris tells me about the button to turn it red, lot of good that did me afterwards 

But red is the way to go for me

• Like 1

Well finally have sometime to sit down and do a race report. My first Champ Race after Lemons 6 years ago was the 24 Hours of VIR in 2015 so this race has always been special to me. Not only is it at one of the best tracks in the world, it is a TRUE 24 hour race. I have always loved the Challenge of the 24 Hours of Daytona and 24 Hours of LeMans and this is the closest that I can get for now. 

So with that mind, 2020 gave me a unique opportunity to mount a full assault on the 24 Hour. We decided to enter 3 Cars in 3 different classes. The #12 S2000 in Class B, #716 Blue Boxster in Class C and #16 Red Bull Boxster in EC. I prep the cars mostly myself so taking on 3 car preps was definitely  a monumental task on my part but I wanted the win bad. I will split up the race report Per car individually bellow. 

#12 B S2000

The car came to the race with long list of things still to finish (including a Trans swap) when we arrived to the track on Friday at 5 Pm. We got the car done around 12 on Friday. Next day is Testing from 8:30-10:30 and my Plan was to test if I wanted to take the 10 point hit for the wing or not. Unfortunately my driver radios in the car has no ABS. We spend about 30 mins to diag and find nothing immediately wrong but during this we find the axle Boot is torn on the Driver Side. Fix this, clean the sensor and back out at 10:00 for a quick 2 lap test Wing vs No wing. We pull the car into the garage and discover an oil leak. We scramble to fix this and just get the car to grid. Start the race everything is going ok but Coolant temps are Crazy High for some reason (220’s). We run the car anyways. At 7 Pm the tail lights stop working come into the pits lost a lap or two for the fix. At around 11 Pm Oil starts to spew from the catch can. Tried some quick fixes but once we were 10 Laps down decided to park the car. 

#16 EC Red Bull Boxster

This car was mostly run as a backup to the Other cars. This car just came off of 16 Hours at NJMP then another 12 of Charlotte. Did typical maintenance to it but that was about it. About 2 hours in We had a Drivers side axle fail. Took about 1 hour to fix. In the end it ran the rest of the 20 hours left Flawlessly, Bringing home 2nd in EC and 16 Overall. 

#716 C Blue Boxster

I have always wanted a Porsche Race car and decided that I would finally build one. So I built this one to full Champ Specs and decided to do a full Schedule of Champ with it in 2020. Did Road Atlanta in February and then Rona. So It didn’t get to run Much of the 2020 Events I had planned. But the 24 Hour Was on and I had a Car full of Very Qualified drivers ready to take on the challenge. Three of five drivers had never Driven Champ Car before or the Car and the Other 2 Had not driven VIR in 10+ years. In morning practice I got everyone to do 2-3 Laps in the car and Practice driver changes. The race starts and we slowly start working our way up hovering around 20th until attrition starts to take over. Around 11 Pm we are sitting P5 on the same Lap as P4 and P6 when our biggest competitor for the last Podium spot drops out (Some fast S2000??). For the Next 12 hours we battle through the Night with P3-P6. My drivers did an amazing job keeping the car clean like I told them to do in a long race like this and we come out of the night with a 2-3 Lap lead on P4. I get into the car for the last stint  and 3rd Gear was start to be a bit wonky. Then after about 20 mins I feel it getting worse. With the lap lead I call in and ask the lap times I need to run to maintain P3. We realize that we can do the time in 4th gear alone, so I drove the Last 1:20 with only 4th gear. I bring it across the Line in P3 out of 72 cars behind the dominance that is Huggins Racing. I am VERY happy with the Result as we would have not beaten Huggins on outright speed as their cars were 5 Seconds faster per Lap. So 3rd was the best that we Could have finished. 

I would like to thank my Drivers for all doing an Awesome Job and My crew for doing an Equally great Job in the pits! 

Ive attached some Awesome photos bellow that Nicholas James Johnson took, Too see the full album check out -https://www.facebook.com/pg/BBYRacing/photos/?tab=album&album_id=3628857777208051

c4RadPU.jpg

5gqZIIf.jpg

69wtnTG.jpg

JToUrVX.jpg

vIBCz0U.jpg

yz0LUDL.jpg

cbHDBK8.jpg

lhOIIEr.jpg

Edited by the5
  • Like 15
On 8/10/2020 at 1:41 PM, Bill Strong said:

I have been out of the seat for awhile.
2016 was my last full year of racing as I took on this job at ChampCar. Since then I did two races in the hyper slow Opel GT, one race in a Celica, and 1/2 a stint in the MR2 GTv6 at Utah, and one rain race at VIR in 2018. So it's been quite awhile since I had any seat time.

I was really excited about racing in the 24 with Visceral. I was finally able to drive a Porsche in a race. Been a dream for me since I was a kid.

But I was also afraid of how bad my performance would be. When I ran the MR2 at the December 2018 VIR north races, I thought I would just hop in and be able to kick off stupid fast lap times like the old days. That's when I remembered how important seat time is. I had none. I made really bad decisions in that race, especially with being over confident. I vowed that I would not do that again. Especially driving someone else's car, that I was financially responsible for.

Not only was I racing, but I was the onsite producer for the ChampCar.live show.

Saturday morning. I wake up at 4am. Race mornings are always really stressful for me due to all the work I have to do before we go live with the show.  Now I am adding the onsite studio for Doc and guests, the live track cameras, and the live in-car cameras.

Saturday practice went well. I got about 15 minutes in the car to familiarize myself with the way the car handled.  That was enough to know that the car handled really well, and I could forget about the car and work on me and my driving.  I fit the car, sorta. As most know, I have a shape, round. Doc may have mentioned that about eleventy-hundred times during the broadcast. My own car has a seat that fits me. The bars in the seat put some pretty bad pressure on my hips. This may have contributed to cramping in my legs later on.
But, I can work around all that. 

I got all the local assets working for the show, then reported to Viscerals paddock spot. 

I feel pukey from the stress. I keep thinking about how bad I am going to do, will I look silly, will I hurt the equipment, or worse yet, hurt someone elses day? Crap like that.

They strap me in the car, we roll out, and I am at the back of the pack, in 47th place. I am right behind the fast looking RVA Graphics and Wraps E46 M3 driven by some big guy named Justin Andress. He is some ex-football star turned race winner. I quickly get on his tail, and I am fighting for position. I think I have him positioned for the perfect pass, but remember that we are still in the formation laps and under yellow.  As soon as the flag goes green I am on it. But cautiously. I am making some passes. Trying to be clean. Stay away from peeps. Don't hurt the duct tape. My drivers contract said I was responsible for any damage I do to the car. I was trying hard not to think about how much 200 roles of duct tape costs. Probably a lot. 

The second lap was insane. As we come down roller coast I am caught up in the mass of cars that were slower. Oh my... this is why I love to start the race. Traffic management is so much fun. I may or may not have screamed that on the radio! It was so much fun. so many cars lumped together. 3 wide on the front straight. 2 wide going up the esses, and finally getting by that group on the front straight on lap 3 when everyone gets in single files rows.

I can settle down and work on my driving now. I am doing 2:25 to 2:28 laps. I remember Ron telling me I needed to average 2:20s. So I need to work on this a lot. This being skill. 
On lap 44 I am told to pit. My two hours are up on a FCY. perfect. I pull into our spot. Go to jump out, and my leg cramps that started 2 laps ago come back and make it hard for me to get out of the car. As I push my head bast the roll bar, one of the helpers grabs my shoulders to assist, so I give a final pust just as he lets go and I go crashing to the pit lane like a face plant. All I could think about was I hope that there are no cameras nearby, Doc would never let me live that down. Ever.

I took us to 12th place. Blew me away.

Ron gets in the car and does a 1:20. Ok. I have some thinking to do.
Where was I going wrong? Well one thing I know is that the AIM SOLO was dot set the way I like it. It was set to lap times, and not predictive timing. So after talking with troy, I was able to remember how to cycle through the types of timing. But I also thought about how I was taking corners, and sorted out the mistakes I made. The biggest one was not trusting the car.

Sunday. I am doing the 8am to 10am stint. Seriously. I was thinking of just asking the team to put me in for an hour, if at all. But then, I just needed to man up and push all my doubt to the side, and do this mofo. Just get out there and be a racing driver. Go fast, go fast, go fast.

So that's what I did.  Well, kinda. Fast for me.
I think trusting the car and the tires, and having some racing skill return, I was able to really get back into the the low 2:20s. I focused on the Aim Solo and was finally able to get a 2:19.
The racing was fun too. At one point I had my sights on the Fiero. One can never let a Fiero beat me. Well, that did not go as planned as that car was fast, and one I could just not catch. As any good competitor know, you then put your focus on something more attainable. Like staying ahead of NLS, who after their win at Charlotte I knew would feel cocky with that fast little car. 
I went in in 13th place. And pretty much held us there the whole stint, putting us into 12th a few laps from my two hour limit. Ron then took over, and on his 4th lap out, laid down a 2:15. So there goes my excuse of the tires being old. 

I loved it. This was so much fun getting back into the seat of a top car. Thanks to Visceral, Ron, Jay, James, and Justin, Ron's father, and Troy. This is one hell of a team. Ron prepared a hell of a car, and now I know why he has so many trophies. 

Now, time to get back to my day job. 

I started falling a sleep after

"I have been out of the seat for awhile"

😂

• 3 weeks later...