Serving an additional purposes?

dwendel

I noted that lack of "may not serve additional purposes" lines in the rule book.
What is y'all opinion on exploiting this lack of wording in the rules? 

For example, I have ideas on making a wing out of zip ties and big and small threaded rods or an exhaust the shape of a diffuser. 

Technically zip ties and bolts are "free", and anything after the header for exhaust.
Nothing says that those items can or can't serve a second purpose. 

Zip ties and bolts are "free" or "open" when used to "attach things to other things". They're not "free" to use as material to create items on the FV list. 

I can't melt down 100,000 zip ties and use threaded rod to build a splitter and then claim it's "free" because I used zip ties and threaded rod. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snorman said:

Zip ties and bolts are "free" or "open" when used to "attach things to other things". They're not "free" to use as material to create items on the FV list. 

I can't melt down 100,000 zip ties and use threaded rod to build a splitter and then claim it's "free" because I used zip ties and threaded rod. 

THANK YOU

*Cough* visceral using tape not as a fastener but as a lightweight aerodynamic building material *cough* *cough* tech please review *cough*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You guys are the best!!!!!!!   Tech did review my use of duct tape and found it legal.  

If they didn’t find it legal then I would

1. vinyl wrap my car which is legal(the car used to have a vinyl wrap but I found the tape easier to use).  

or

2. take the points for tape (I have plenty of them)

or

3. run a full body with an engine that doesn’t have 100+K miles on it. Maybe I’ll get rid of the STOCK engine computer too and throw it on a dyno for the first time ever. 
or

4. I’ll put a fuel cell in that will allow me to run 4hrs on a tank at most tracks.

This is supposed to be a low budget, amateur, entry level series. I choose to use my teams money to run as many races as we can instead of spending it all on “go fast” parts.  

We’ll see everyone at Thompson, Pitt, RAm, Sebring and Barber. 

Edited by Ronh911
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Ronh911 said:

You guys are the best!!!!!!!   Tech did review my use of duct tape and found it legal.  

If they didn’t find it legal then I would

1. vinyl wrap my car which is legal(the car used to have a vinyl wrap but I found the tape easier to use).  

or

2. take the points for tape (I have plenty of them)

or

3. run a full body with an engine that doesn’t have 100+K miles on it. Maybe I’ll get rid of the STOCK engine computer too and throw it on a dyno for the first time ever. 
or

4. I’ll put a fuel cell in that will allow me to run 4hrs on a tank at most tracks.

This is supposed to be a low budget, amateur, entry level series. I choose to use my teams money to run as many races as we can instead of spending it all on “go fast” parts.  

We’ll see everyone at Thompson, Pitt, RAm, Sebring and Barber. 

Are you trying to scare us? Feel free to do anything within the rules; are you admitting you're skirting the rules? What will your excuse be when 1-4 doesn't work?

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Are you trying to scare us? Feel free to do anything within the rules; are you admitting you're skirting the rules? What will your excuse be when 1-4 doesn't work?

Paul, I wish you the best of luck in your racing season.  

• Haha 7

The car has a lot of holes in the sheet metal that have been taped over with duct tape.  Not a lot to talk about there.  Every car has duct tape on it somewhere, so it would be impossible to draw a line so it’s no surprise tech said it was fine.  But Champ is a debating club that occasionally puts on races, so there you have it.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2020 at 4:54 PM, jakks said:

I think your tape supplier needs reviewed... It started coming off way too early at VIR.

Disclaimer. Your tape car doesn't bother me. I'm just trying to lighten the mood in here.

Time for bear bond. Search Nascar suppliers like SRI for stouter tape like supplies.....

• Like 1