New Team...Most popular tire selection?

Chris Z

New to Champ, just completed an E36 build and trying to figure out what is the best tire to purchase. Our local shop has a set of Nitto NT-01 that that mounted for us to shake the car down before Pitt Race. I don't think they're a legal tire, however. From my search online and on this forum I've seen the Hankook, Falkin and Bridgestone RE71r seem to be the most popular. Can anyone help with this? And is the Nitto legal?

Thanks for any help 

Chris

7 hours ago, CBraden said:

RS-4 is by far the best choice for our car of similar weight and tire size to an e36 - fast, wears like iron, pretty forgiving. RE 71 is a second ish per lap faster, but depending on the track won't last an 8 hour race.

What's the width and weight?

We can do 8 hours with RE71r on 245s and still have some life left. But thinking of trying 255 and see if we can get 16 hours.

Car is 2366 lbs full of fuel no driver.

RS4 is appealing but would be a bit annoying to be slower :)

7 hours ago, turbogrill said:

What's the width and weight?

We can do 8 hours with RE71r on 245s and still have some life left. But thinking of trying 255 and see if we can get 16 hours.

Car is 2366 lbs full of fuel no driver.

RS4 is appealing but would be a bit annoying to be slower :)

245/17 on a 2800 ish lb car with driver (jealous of your curb weight). We normally run 255 but they were out of stock when we ran RE 71s.

The rate of wear RS4 vs RE71 is not really comparable at all for us:

*the RS4 are difficult to wear down much at all for us

*RE71r wear visibly with each stint.

I like going fast, but doubling the tire budget is not usually the team choice when given the option. 

Just my opinion based on running both: If you want hero laps, choose the RE71... if you want to not worry about tire wear all weekend (and subsequent test days until you get tired of them not wearing out), choose the RS4.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CBraden said:

245/17 on a 2800 ish lb car with driver (jealous of your curb weight). We normally run 255 but they were out of stock when we ran RE 71s.

The rate of wear RS4 vs RE71 is not really comparable at all for us:

*the RS4 are difficult to wear down much at all for us

*RE71r wear visibly with each stint.

I like going fast, but doubling the tire budget is not usually the team choice when given the option. 

Just my opinion based on running both: If you want hero laps, choose the RE71... if you want to not worry about tire wear all weekend (and subsequent test days until you get tired of them not wearing out), choose the RS4.

Agree, 8 tires at $200 a weekend gets old! 

Especially if that 1s advantage gets eaten up by a screwed up pit stop or something.

2366 lbs, 150-160whp, 9"-10" wheels, decent brakes and handling, ok reliability, cheap parts.

Downside is the 12.7 tank, can't do 2h at Harris Hill, COTA is 1.5h stints.

Got a surgetank now, will see if it helps.

RS4 seems to be the endurance tire unless you can get away with RE71r.

I was Googling for less expensive RS-4's. Did find a video from our title sponser Tire Rack and backs up the thread above on the RS4 wear ( video quote " it's the go to for endurance racing"). It's a comparison of almost all the tires mentioned so far. Is there someplace special everyone gets tires or does everyone just scan for what you want and able to afford. 

https://m.tirerack.com/videos/amp/player.jsp?autoPlay=true&title=Comparing+the+Newest+and+Best+Extreme+Performance+Summer+Tires&image=%2Fimages%2Fvideos%2Fvideo_images_758x426%2F2018%2F2018_tt2_eps.jpg&fragment=2018+TT2+EPS

12 hours ago, 333 Kinkle said:

I was Googling for less expensive RS-4's. Did find a video from our title sponser Tire Rack and backs up the thread above on the RS4 wear ( video quote " it's the go to for endurance racing"). It's a comparison of almost all the tires mentioned so far. Is there someplace special everyone gets tires or does everyone just scan for what you want and able to afford. 

We used to have a commercial account with tirerack.  Now we just get them right from Hankook Motorsports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

Maybe on the slowest wearing corner... on most tracks our left front (Re71) is first to go and is done in 6 hours. 

Same here. We also tried the Z3 with similar wear rate but lap times were about the same as the R-S4. 

We get about 20 hours with the R-S4 when swapping them around to even out the wear. 

14 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Dunlop III has evolved into a fine autocross tire, its now garbage for endurance, switch to hancook 4 and thank me for saving  $$

Tirerack was out of RS4s in our size when we ordered tires last month, with no expected restock date.  Ordered Z3s instead. Hope since we're pretty light it doesn't bite us at Indy.

6 minutes ago, karman1970 said:

Tirerack was out of RS4s in our size when we ordered tires last month, with no expected restock date.  Ordered Z3s instead. Hope since we're pretty light it doesn't bite us at Indy.

They will work, expect accelerated wear and *in our case, on a heavy car* do not overheat as they give up grip suddenly, rather then gracefully

3 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

They will work, expect accelerated wear and *in our case, on a heavy car* do not overheat as they give up grip suddenly, rather then gracefully

This.  I liked the Z3s cold behavior a lot more than the RS4, but the RS4 are better hot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karman1970 said:

We're running a Civic as well. The Z3 worked well when the temps were in the 80s but not so good in the 90s. Ended up more concerned with tire management than fuel management that day.

That said, they are predictable and easy to drive. The R-S4s need temp and don't seem to work as well longitudinally as laterally. We moved up in rim and tire size so can't give a direct lap time comparison but I'm pretty sure the R-S4s are faster.