SPEC MIATA TO CHAMPCAR

SHOEDOG

I have a 1999 spec Miata that I haven't run in a few years and want to run Champcar enduros

Can I just arrive and get teched and take whatever penalty points?

Any suggestions from anyone who has already done it?.

Also what are the best tires to run

Thanks

Shoedog

• Technical Advisory Committee

Yes you can!  Please come.  You will likely be in "EC" class but there is lots of racing and track time to be had. I was thinking of SpecE30, the Miata guys have corrected me below - SpecMiata are Champcar Class A legal

Any tire with a 180TW rating or higher.  The current favorites are Hankook RS4 and Bridgestone RE71.  The New Falken RT660 havent been run yet to my knowlege, but might be good also (the predecessor RT615, 615K, and 615K+ were well liked)

Edit:

Not sure if spec miata has fire systems. You will need to confirm the car meets the current safety requirements:   In car suppression system, belts, window net, etc all in date.  

https://champcar.org/mainweb/pdf/2020ChampCarBCCR.pdf

Edited by Huggy
BCCR
  • Like 3

I definitely would look at safety requirements. This would be the thing to derail your weekend of racing. Fire system dates, belts and window net dates, new for this year is the dash bar( not sure if that is required by scca these days). You could use the virtual inspection done by Cell phone that may help double check before heading to the track for the official inspection 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TimS said:

I definitely would look at safety requirements. This would be the thing to derail your weekend of racing. Fire system dates, belts and window net dates, new for this year is the dash bar( not sure if that is required by scca these days). You could use the virtual inspection done by Cell phone that may help double check before heading to the track for the official inspection 

The virtual tech program has actually ended. Wasn’t working as well as hoped. But you can certainly call / email Jay after reading the rulebook and he can answer any safety requirement questions. 

• Like 2

Outside of Safety - Here is what I can think of off the top of my head.

1999 Miata VPi - 350pts

Suspension:

- Adjustable height coilover sleeves + 2.5Diam springs = 10pts/corner = 40pts total

- Front and Rear Sway bars & end links = 20pts/ea = 40pts total

- Aluminum Radiator = 10pts

- Brakes - Stock (pads are open at 0pts) = 0pts

- Spec Miata wheels = 0pts 

Engine/Driveline

- All Stock = 0pts

No Aero = 0pts

Total = 440pts

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Ideally there should be a "Spec Miata" -> Champcar ticket on the help desk. Who would be the right person to write something like that?

Also why would it be EC? SM suspension is non adjustable? 

See above, no need to be in EC even with everything accounted for.  And assuming he is talking about the original Bilstein coilover setup SM coilovers, the spring perches are adjustable and I believe the Penskes are too.  Either way, with or without adjustable spring perches, the car is plenty under 500pts as it stands unless I am missing something big.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alchemy Autosport said:

Outside of Safety - Here is what I can think of off the top of my head.

1999 Miata VPi - 350pts

Suspension:

- Adjustable height coilover sleeves + 2.5Diam springs = 10pts/corner = 40pts total

- Front and Rear Sway bars & end links = 20pts/ea = 40pts total

- Aluminum Radiator = 10pts

- Brakes - Stock (pads are open at 0pts) = 0pts

- Spec Miata wheels = 0pts 

Engine/Driveline

- All Stock = 0pts

No Aero = 0pts

Total = 440pts

So let say budget and time is not of a concern, what would you spend the remaining 60 pts on?

Wheels (free of course)? Cam? ECU? Header? Aero? 

• Like 1

Look hard at your roll cage, SM rules requiring the dash to remain means it may not be good for the Chump rule that door bars have to be XX" apart where they meet either the main hoop or the A-pillar bar.

Also, SCCA is not as strict about fire sealing bulkheads and firewalls.  Put a light under the dash, turn out the shop lights and see what you can see in the engine bay.  Same plan for the rear - stuff the light way up past the shock tops and look in the cab.  You'll likely be surprised.

Pay attention to the fueling requirements - no funnels.  If a funnel is part of your routine, you need to change it.

SCCA does not require dates on window nets, Champ does.  Also the space between the net and the vent window - if it is too big you need to make it smaller.  Getting your hand out the window is a point of contention, Champs wants it inside, drivers and tracks want you to be able to do hand signals for passes and pitting.

Just get some SFI rated roll cage padding and bring it.  Seems there is always some new spot you missed.  Just a function of who's looking.

Tires - The good Bridgestones don't come in a 225 x 15", but the Hankook's do.  Not quite as grippy, but last well.

I think there's another thread about this.  But these are the things I've gotten dinged for having done both.  SCCA annuals are usually easier (if the car looks decent).

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, dwendel said:

There is not limit of what you can't remove, just have to take some material points to rehang the bodywork. I am surprised no one has done a Miata death kart with a legal cage and 60% hole sawed and taped over body work. 

If I replace heavy hinges with door hinges would that material?

• Like 1