Jump to content

Stop changing the rules


petawawarace
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

@MR2 Biohazard I fear that once a line is drawn, in this case 600pts, even with the same penalty's, some folks will take it a bit literally and go build for 600 pts

 

I know, sounds crazy but that is exactly what happened to EC, it existed, therefore they came. Any way you could avoid saying 600 and keep everything tuned to 500?

 

Again, I get it, there are no changes to the base series or penalty, just different classing.

Sure

451-500* for class C.  *Anything above 500 is 1 penalty lap per 10 points.

401-450 class B

0-400 class A

plus EC class

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

@MR2 Biohazard I fear that once a line is drawn, in this case 600pts, even with the same penalty's, some folks will take it a bit literally and go build for 600 pts

 

I know, sounds crazy but that is exactly what happened to EC, it existed, therefore they came. Any way you could avoid saying 600 and keep everything tuned to 500?

 

Again, I get it, there are no changes to the base series or penalty, just different classing.

You can build up to 1000 pts today and not be in EC unless you want to.  I'd just leave that as the upper limit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
7 hours ago, Silverbeast said:

Did we get a rule to get larger fuel tanks for points yet?


No, and it's not coming anytime soon.  Board has discussed it two or three times this year and the consensus is that it breaks VPI, on which we base our whole series

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Here stated another way. A car with 450 to 500 points is class C. Your 490 point car stays the same. You stay in class C and race for the overall win. If you add items, like you can now, and go over 500 points you get laps for each 10 points above, same as now.

 

I put 450-600 is class C with anything over 500 you get laps. It is just like it is today. Anything over 600 it automatically in EC. Example, someone with a 700 point car is not going to make up 20 laps so EC. That is how it is today.

 

The 350z would get 10 laps in your example above.

 

 

I misunderstood. That makes more sense thanks for explaining it more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, riche30 said:


No, and it's not coming anytime soon.  Board has discussed it two or three times this year and the consensus is that it breaks VPI, on which we base our whole series

Wow. The biggest reason that classes aren't set up in a points fashion is because the VPI has always been broken. If the VPI was more accurate and proportional to a car's speed and potential, none of this would be a problem.

 

If only we used a number like 10,000, instead of 500 as a point limit. Not many of ya'll like my SCCA references, but here is another interesting one.

STL (Super Touring Lite) is for cars that are 2.0L and under, naturally aspirated. There is a ratio of displacement to weight that is targeted for all cars to meet, with some modifiers and exceptions to change the weight (eg Double Wishbone/A-arm suspension in the rear adds a certain weight %) Anyway, the point is that the range that the class has to work in is much wider than ChampCars. Cars in STL usually weigh anywhere from 2100# to 2800#, and all of these cars are usually less than 200hp. That class has a much better range to work in with the cars, and a somewhat better way of scientifically finding the potential of a car, so the racing can be better balanced.

 

Maybe someone should come up with an equation that dictates the VPI of the car based on some suspension, engine and fuel tank parameters...

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Aero Man said:

Maybe someone should come up with an equation that dictates the VPI of the car based on some suspension, engine and fuel tank parameters...

I'm pretty sure it's been suggested more times than the board has discussed fuel for points... :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, riche30 said:


No, and it's not coming anytime soon.  Board has discussed it two or three times this year and the consensus is that it breaks VPI, on which we base our whole series

 

But I want to break the VPI!

Ironically, winners are basically just trying to find cars with big fuel tanks that can make power and go the full two hours.  Might have some crazy things coming down the pipe regarding that.  Find something that has a big enough tank to go 4 hours and voila, you'll shave time from 5 minute pit stop down to just changing the driver out of 240 Minutes of racing.  That's potentially 240 seconds shaved off race time in 240 minutes of racing.  That's huge.

Oh well.  I know some stuff we don't run simply because we don't have the fuel to support it.  Many others probably the same way.  But Voila, if you can find some ridiculous family sedan with a big ole tank you are good to go!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Silverbeast said:

 

But I want to break the VPI!

Ironically, winners are basically just trying to find cars with big fuel tanks that can make power and go the full two hours.  Might have some crazy things coming down the pipe regarding that.  Find something that has a big enough tank to go 4 hours and voila, you'll shave time from 5 minute pit stop down to just changing the driver out of 240 Minutes of racing.  That's potentially 240 seconds shaved off race time in 240 minutes of racing.  That's huge.

Oh well.  I know some stuff we don't run simply because we don't have the fuel to support it.  Many others probably the same way.  But Voila, if you can find some ridiculous family sedan with a big ole tank you are good to go!

Gen II F-body 150 points, 21 gallon tank, very good geometry, cheap parts, 350, T-10, LSD all stock. Plus there are tons of cheap speed parts available.  With the way the points are structured now, you could create a beast.  If we weren't chest deep into our Gen III this is where we'd be going.  

IROC.jpg

Edited by TiredBirds
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Silverbeast said:

Lolz, Go with the 455 HO motor in a 1972 Trans AM, lol.  Gas budget is gonna hurt!  300+ Horsepower though.  Lots of Torque.  Shave the weight down and it'll do just fine!

 

might be a tad nose heavy...lol but it'd be great down the straights at Daytona.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Silverbeast said:

Lolz, Go with the 455 HO motor in a 1972 Trans AM, lol.  Gas budget is gonna hurt!  300+ Horsepower though.  Lots of Torque.  Shave the weight down and it'll do just fine!

 

What about this old TA that I have with the X in the VIN, would that work? ;)

Pin on Junkyard cars

Edited by mender
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...