2020 Gingerman 8+7 hour enduros race reports

Bill Strong

Official Race Results
https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1795728

______

Official statement... Saturday Race 8-Hour - Impound Protest

Protest ##770 crank shaft stroke was longer than stock.
Measured by tech was found to be in excess of oe measurements.
DQ.

______

Image Dump by Bill Strong
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hs5DCtYnFVh91VhX7

Saturday ChampCar.live
https://youtu.be/_7wllhwJMWw

Sunday ChampCar.live
https://youtu.be/PpilHOhK364

Sorry, we do not have race interviews as there were some technical issues with the recordings.

• Like 2

• Technical Advisory Committee

Had a fun time this weekend, thank you ChampCar staff and volunteers. 

I was worried about too many yellows, and possible contact with having 60+ at Gingerman but during my stints the driving I saw was great. 

Thanks @E. Tyler Pedersen for the brake pads, transmission etc. etc. 

• Like 2

Recap:

I am one really old and wore out wrench!!!!!

Test day was going very well for the MiElan and guys settled in and got some good laps. MiElan Plus 2 had some oil pressure issues and we swapped a few other things to get it back out, but the motor went up in a huge cloud of smoke during the last test session. Let the fun begin, we prepped the 150 car for the race and then started the engine swap on 5. Not a small task on an ecotec as it requires many changes to go in from a junk yard motor and after a number of hours we buttoned it up and run it for a few minutes at about mid night. Finished a few small things early before the race.

Day one we had a good draw and both cars got off to a good start and running very strong, 150 running solid and turn great laps with Aaron at the wheel, 5 had Jeremy turning good laps but not hitting the timing loop so I remembered I forgot to connect the power lead and a short stop to fix that dropped to the back of the pack. Charging on Jeremey brought 5 back to near the front and Aaron marched on. Did our driver fuel stops and Jacob cranked out solid laps in 150 and Nick was charging on with 5 until we got a radio call, oil pressure going all over the place then water temp spiked, well you all can figure the rest. Boom went the spare motor so 5 was out.

Jeff took charge in the 150 and again turned good laps as we stayed in the hunt. Patrick was the finish driver and this one will be a little hard to put on paper as it was one of the most thrilling finishes we have had. We were going back and forth with 5,6 and 7 swapping around. as we get near the end being in 7th Patrick had fallen a little to rest tires and then made a late charge and the three cars all in about a 20 second window, but Woody in the TRmotorsports car was about 3-4 seconds up on us and Patrick keep working to real him in and on the last lap he hit turn one side by side but backed out, did the same in seven so I know he was working for the last turn. They hit turn eleven and Patrick had a great run and at the flag took the pass by .2 seconds.

Day two after prep work on 150 started with Patrick and 5 was out so Tyler put the team in his Crank Yankers BMW and off we go. Patrick and Tyler were charging thru the field when Patrick radioed no voltage and battery dead, car dead. Towed it in and swapped a battery and off he went but after a couple laps saw it was not charging so in he came and we took 40 minutes to swap and alternator and it became a track day for 150. Ran fine and got driving time for everyone until we loaded early for trip home. As for the Crank Yankers during Tylers charge near the end of the first stint the rear wheel was chunking and came in for a tire swap. He went out and came for fuel and driver with Chad jumping in an he got a few laps in when he said the rear was really loose and came in with two broken wheel studs and almost lost the rear wheel. Decided to park the car and watch some racing after that.

In all a great fun eventful weekend for a our first race of the year. Next up is Road America with a couple new motors. 

Thanks to Champcar for all their efforts to get this event to happen, thanks to Ray for the tech work and handling the protest in a positive manner, well done and hope to see more checks in future races. My only complaint is the track staff was not good from a flag station side, several un manned stations made it hard for drivers to know what was going on and for us 150 had a full side hit by a black camero which damaged the side from front to rear and was not seen as no corner worker present.

Thanks to everyone on Team MiElan and MiElan Plus 2 and on to Road America.

• Like 4

First time racing Gingerman since 2016, what a rush! Great track, so much fun with 60 cars. Big thanks to @E. Tyler Pedersen for providing a spare trans and brake pads to help us out before the Sunday race! 
Event was well-run by ChampCar and solid driving all around. Feels great getting a win on the new package, but DNFs are unacceptable and we need to figure this engine out right away. I’ll post more later. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

Pretty great weekend, because racing finally.   Lots of work this weekend trying to help @55mini as much as possible with motor swaps and such.  We had a great bunch of guys on the team this weekend.    Supper fun finish on Saturday with TRMotorsport team, hard racing and not touching battling to turn 11 and the finish line.  

Champcar staff ran another great race weekend.   

Edited by JDChristianson
  • Like 2

Two Bothers Racing Recap:

Test day started with us doing a front spring change after the first session. Moved to blowing up an alternator fan(Yes the metal fan on the front of the alternator blew up), replacing the alternator, finding two broken motor mounts i missed from Nelson (Bad prep on my part) having our new used radiator leak, fabbing in a new radiator bracket/oil cooler bracket, and finally preping the car for Saturday.

Saturday I took the wheel to start and we started near the rear, about an hour in i cant get anymore than 50% throttle, so i worked on my line and managed to turn some 1:48-49 laps, we worked through the field up to 10th or so after the first stint. At our pit stop we attempted to fix the linkage unsuccessfully also had to richen the tune up a bit since we were almost 14.0 on AFR. Took 10 minutes and set us back a bunch. A few laps later we catch a double yellow as we were pulling our guy on to do a temp-permanent fix on the throttle linkage and successfully fixed the issue loosing 2 laps under caution. We finished with smooth stints the rest of the way and finish P10 knowing we had a shot on Sunday.

Sunday Matt took the green from near the front of the field and ran smooth laps for his time turning his fastest laps ever at the track dipping into the 1:46's keeping us in the top 10 the entire stint. From there we stuffed Mike into the car for the final hour or so to quiet time. Mike ran clean laps and brought us into the quiet hour in 10th place. After quiet hour Andy took over and ran a flawless third stint moving us up to P2 at our final stop while watching a Voltage light flash consistently. I took over for the run to the checkers knowing we couldnt catch the parts badger guys the goal was to run 1:48-1:50's's the rest of the way home and try to stay P2. As i leave the pits the dash looks like a Christmas tree with all the warning lights that were going off, voltage, oil temp, diff temp, so i knew we were up against the odds. Once we got some air through the car the temps cooled back to a normal level but the Voltage started to just stay on. With about an hour left the backup alternator bit the dust ending our day.

All in all a good weekend we had team speed, and had fun competing against some great people. We had some terrific battles with Dirt-E 30, Gorrilla Sticker, and a few others.

We love the track, the vibe and camaraderie are second to none.

A BIG thank you to all the Champcar staff and volunteers who worked the event as well as Gingerman's Safety crews for being there to support our series. Well see everyone at Road America.

• Like 5

It's always great to have people coming to find you after a stint to thank you! Overall we had an awesome weekend, thank you to the CC staff and teams.

Personally my highlight was on Sunday, I had an amazing time going back and forth with the white BMW (Gorilla Sticker I think) Freaking awesome!!!

Dirt track drifting! Whoooo!

spacer.png

Pinch! I was tail end at the start, I was being overly cautious because the track was packed! It's an endurance race, no need to make risky moves early.

spacer.png

Day 1 morning

spacer.png

Last D standing :P

spacer.png

We were told the axle slid out like a James Bond weapon on track.

spacer.png

Day 1 in-car. I am deep in the field and our Camaro is huge. It's an endurance race and I was not going to force any passes in a packed field. At the start it looks like I'm on a Sunday drive!
The power wire got yanked out. So not the full day. But I really like our new external microphone!

Day 2 (uploading soon!)

Edited by Mike.g
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

Pretty great weekend, because racing finally.   Lots of work this weekend trying to help @55mini as much as possible with motor swaps and such.  We had a great bunch of on the team this weekend.    Supper fun finish on Saturday with TRMotorsport team, hard racing and not touching battling to turn 11 and the finish line.  

Champcar staff ran another great race weekend.   

It was less than 1/2 a car length at the line....
No more tire advice ! LOL...
It was good clean and HARD racing!

• Like 5

Heading into this race we weren't sure what to expect out of our new Civic build.  Considering we finished the car at 5:15pm Thursday afternoon we were pretty much planning on this weekend being mostly testing for us.  We had two engines and transmissions with us, all with unknown history.  Friday's test day showed that the engine in the car (which came in the car when we bought it) ran but had a blown head gasket.  We spent the rest of Friday (til 1am) changing our engine next to the MiElam guys as they changed theirs.  Second engine ran but had a squeal from the water pump.  Went to change the pump out and broke a bolt. Called it for the night and knew we wouldn;t be taking the green on Saturday.

Saturday morning we sorted out the broken bolt and got on track right around noon.  Kevyn took the car out and within a few laps broke an axle.  Changed it out and ran the rest of the day after a few more teething problems. 

Sunday we took the green as normal and the car ran strong for most of the day.  At one point I believe we were sitting first in B class and around 9th overall and hard charging.  With 30 minutes left to go in the race the elevated engine temps(250-260 degrees F) caused the compute to shut everything down. 

Happy with what we learned over the weekend we were happy to park the car and start loading up.

It felt great to be back out on track with everyone and I hope we were fun and fair to race against!

For any of you heading to PIRC in October we will see you there!

• Like 4

Brake Dancers Altima had its share of issues, A/C went out early on so our drivers were getting hot and someone had left the groceries in it from Friday but we were able to use the weekend as a test n tune kind of like Money Shift was.

Everyone repack your bearings!  Silly to go out just because the grease in your stock bearings can't hold up to 8 hours of pounding on them.

Look forward to seeing a bunch of you at Road America in 2 months!

-Jimmy

• Like 2