2020 Gingerman 8+7 hour enduros race reports

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bavarian Mustache Werks had an excellent weekend as well.  The racing has always been great here and the competition sure has stepped over the years!   No longer is the Coookie Cutter Classic the 'eas

I have ZERO shame for utilizing the process that is provided to all of us to help keep our club in check.  No one should have any shame or reservations to do so, as long as there is some just cause in

If you hang that pic up on the wall, that room will end up with glitter everywhere    🤣

Posted Images

Echoing what others have said, what a race weekend!  I had the pleasure of starting on Saturday and it was a blast!  We sent the car out with the tires at 21 psi because of how much they had come up in testing.....well, that sucked..  Going into turn two I went wide with expecting the car to hook up and go like it always does, nope, rolling over the side walls and under-steering like crazy I watched as 4-5 cars went sailing past...doh!  Also, make sure you check the depth of ice in you cool suit box....just because some is floating on top, doesn't mean that you won't get hot water in the system coming through after 20 minutes....that sucked....

The rest of the first stint was a lot of fun.  For the most part, people seemed to be paying attention and watching mirrors...I did have a couple of instances where coming out of 6 I was running track left into 7 and cars drifted over like they didn't know I was there.....apparently that is a thing with larger American built automobiles vs. small Japanese cars...  No contact or overly aggressive driving, barring the team that was protested, they seemed to be fine with just hucking their car anywhere and using hp to drive off.

It was really nice to get back to a track and actually race, our 150 hadn't really been run at close to 100% in almost 2 years and it seemed to settle in ok.  Great to see all of our friends at the track,  thanks to TRM and Schaut Speed as our pit neighbors for coordinating stops as we were all in the hunt until the end on Saturday.  You guys all rock!

See ya at Road America and Barber!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, hotchkis23 said:

No contact or overly aggressive driving, barring the team that was protested, they seemed to be fine with just hucking their car anywhere and using hp to drive off.

So we won't the only ones who noticed.

More to come on that in our race recap. Hopefully later today, with video if I can get to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, shutupracing said:

More to come on that in our race recap. Hopefully later today, with video if I can get to it.

We noticed their antics on Sunday multiple times including some slight contact.  We are processing video and will get some up. Nothing to be overly concerned about but probably more aggressive than they need to be for a newly found "EC" car. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, shutupracing said:

I should have a lap or two of video chasing you guys after you passed me to get on the lead lap. Still have to check that part of the video files. 

PartsBadger had high hopes for the weekend.  It was my first time at Gingerman but we knew it was a good track for momentum cars and we were excited to get back to racing. 

Test Day:  We had a large number of aero tweeks during the test day to dial in a new splitter, diffuser, wing location, spoiler and foot plates.  It took a little longer than I thought to get the track down to the point where we could start making changes, but by the end, we got the car in the 44s and I felt good about Saturday except for cracking on our front rotors.  We had an idea first thing in the morning saturday to add air deflectors to stop the air from the front splitter ramps from over-cooling the inner rotor face.  Our crew did a great job fabbing some up in the hour before the race and getting them installed in time.  A shout out to professional awesome https://professionalawesome.com/shop/  for the aero help to get the car dialed in after our Road America test and the splitter blocks which saved our 20hr splitter from being shreaded.  

Another big Thank you to Chris Shay from Ludicrous Speed for the track notes and aero guidance to help get me up to speed on the track and keep us and our car safe!

Saturday:    The new air deflectors worked great and we had worked our way up to first, unfortunately our PPF started failing near the end of the first stint.  We tried a quick repair but there was no luck with that and we were done for the day.   A big thank you to 138 TBD Racing(I think it was them) for lending us their spare PPF so we could get the car fixed for Sunday.  Also a big congrats to Premium Dudes on the win!

Sunday:   Good hard racing for the first few stints.  The BMWs were a handful and it was some of the most intense racing I've had in CCES.  The car ran great overall and we were racing Whiskey Tango Foxtrot for the lead.  We had a good driver strategy after the break and were able to keep the pressure on and take the lead, as Whiskey Tango Foxtrot started to drop back with clutch trouble.  Attrition seemed to take hold and the field thinned out a lot by the later stints and the driving became more about survival.   The transmission was having trouble engaging fourth gear and we decided to just leave it in fourth for the final stint to finish the race and it seemed the rest of the field had a survival strategy as well.

Overall:  A big congrats to Premium Dudes on the Saturday win!   The track was crowded and the driving was aggressive but overall it was really good racing.  For my first time at Gingerman I have great respect for the track and its very technical but overall safe.  I really liked the pit/paddock configuration and the track staff were all great!  Thank you to Chelsey for running a great race!  Thank you to Ray in tech for being thorough and working through the new digital tech system.  Another great race by CCES!

Race Notes: Heat was a big issue on all the drivers and crew for both teams (PartsBadger/Brake Dancers).  Hot races need more drivers, crew, and the car to come to the track ready to race.  We were all at our physical limits and fluids, cool suits, and fans aren't enough. 

Car Notes:  I will be updating some of by build page, but the majority of info that we learned from testing from the race will be shared on our facebook group.  If you are a miata team and not in the group please message me and we can invite you. 

Videos

Sunday Stint 1 - https://youtu.be/9M1EyuLfH98
Sunday Stint 3 - https://youtu.be/x-3P7imWc1M

Saturday Stream - https://youtu.be/C6FAHP0iKks?t=4269

Sunday Stream - https://youtu.be/pigCeIHFguo?t=2713

Thank You's: 
138 TBD - For the PPF. (A replacement will be in the mail shortly)

Chris Shay - Ludicrous Speed - For track notes and aero tips.

Professional Awesome - For the aero help and splitter blocks.

5XRacing for the parts!

Rugged Video for the rear camera system!

Rugged Badger Racing - For the brake parts!

PartsBadger Machine Shop for cranking out some new rear bushings on Wednesday.

Chelsey, Ray, and All of CCES for a great race!

118144166_960219731124998_3964394390782489839_n.jpg

118234832_816301212107458_4796883361648190212_n.jpg

117919112_241734616992256_3189026427309400873_n.jpg

• Like 5

After_Gingerman_2020.jpg

Daring Greatly Racing had a weekend of ups and downs but we are happy to report that we also had our first finish.  This was our 2nd race weekend with this car since we finished it last year and we also  had two new wheel to wheel drivers and one that had never been to Gingerman before.  

Saturday we started towards the front of the field and managed to stay in the top 20 all day but ran into an issue with the fuel cell venting and couldn't get fuel 

into the car.  That took us off track for about 33 minutes before we could fuel the car and get back out.  We finished 21st overall.  

Sunday we started in the back half of the field but made it to the 15 by our first stop.  We had planned on bringing our driver in for our last stop when the driver radioed in telling us that the car got real load and that he though the engine may have expired.  He was towed in to our paddock where we looked around for oil leaking or escaped inside engine bits but we didn't see anything.  We did see that our down pipe flange had broke off the down pipe where it mounts to the exhaust manifold causing an open header condition on the drivers bank.  We called it a day after that, but overall we are very happy that we have an easier repair to deal with than last year and we finished the race on Saturday. 

Congrats to Premium Dudes and Parts Badger for their over all wins this weekend. Thank you to the Champcar staff for a great event and to our fellow competitors for a clean, fun race.  We will be running next at Road America in October.     

• Like 2

The Whiskey Tango Foxtrot team had a great time at Gingerman (apart from the whole breaking thing).  Huge thanks to the champcar team for putting on such an awesome event during these trying times.  

The WTF Miata lived up to the team name, prompting many WTF moments.  

On Saturday during the first stint, Nat was pulled in for a black flag with some contact resulting in a spin from the Tuna No Crust Acura.  I'm not really sure what happened here as I didn't see the video, but they ended up not giving us the full penalty.  Unfortunately there was some damage to the nose and some grass in the grille which was causing some overheating issues.  During the on-schedule pit stop for fuel and me to get in the car, we noticed low voltage, so had to change the alternator, which dropped us back another 8-10 minutes.  We pushed for the rest of the race pretty hard as the class win was still possible, but it seemed like the BMW 318 was successful in their fuel saving and we settled with 2nd in class.  

Sunday we knew we had the pace for an overall win, as long as everything else went our way.  They let me start the car - which I was hesitant about - not my car and the risk is always higher at the start.  It got pretty spaced out as people weren't keeping up with the pack while pacing, so it turned out to be not as chaotic as I thought.  We put some distance on the field so Nat didn't have to push as hard when he got in for the second stint, but PartsBadger kept us pushing pretty hard the whole time.  Unfortunately we had the rear main seal fail and was spraying the clutch with oil.  We were all pretty bummed about it as it looked like it was going to be a pretty intense "sprint enduro" race against the Parts Badger car, and we really wanted that overall win after coming so close at Pitt.  

Again thanks ChampCar and everybody for an awesome event, amazing that were all able to make it work on track and off.  

-Justin

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, JRHille said:

On Saturday during the first stint, Nat was pulled in for a black flag with some contact resulting in a spin from the Tuna No Crust Acura.  I'm not really sure what happened here as I didn't see the video, but they ended up not giving us the full penalty.

Can't see much from the in car video, but it looks like I lifted a bit to modulate speed so that I wouldn't have to come off throttle in the left hander as I had been faster than the orange mustang through that section.  My best guess is he mis-judged the closing speed and hit the right rear of my bumper (we found a new crack in that location)

-Andy

• Like 1

I had a paid seat in the #429 team Bare Maximum E36 (blue 4door). Along with the team owners, there were only 3 of us total. Our goal was to feel out the car. Pit stops we’re going to be slow. Friday was a great shakedown as this was the car’s first time on track. Friday went well with no big glaring issues. Tech was pleased with the build and the car seemed solid. Saturday we started at the back of the pack and worked out way up to the teens and then out of nowhere, our drivers rear axle nut removed itself and that broke the hub itself, shooting the tire out from behind the car. This was at about the 5 hour mark. We had spare rear suspension but it was either 328 or m3 spec and wouldn’t work. After begging, borrowing, and stealing from two other BMW teams and a track side hotrod shop (Thanks to you all) we were back together and ready to go for Sunday. Left the track around 9PM. I was first in the car on Sunday and the car felt great. We clicked off some good times 1:48’s and everyone got their stints until with 90 minutes to go, the car started a random misfire and stutter. After throwing plugs and coils at it, we traced it down to a bad alternator. We were done. A fantastic first race for the team and the car.  Driving was courteous for the most part. Had some great battles with the CTS and other BMW’s myself and loved every minute of it. 

Big credit to Matt Godwin of AMG automotive and Rob Parks for building a fantastic car and allowing me to rent. 

Apologies again to Kev at Moneyshift  for running him wide in turn 3-my bad. 

Thanks again to the awesome teams that helped keep us racing. It truly is a brotherhood of speed out there. Glad we were able to help with some welding services and share some of our spares as well. 

until next time!

Ken

E36D3488-88A8-47C2-9658-160271B5DDE6.jpeg

Edited by Quicker10u
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, Lethal Cliff said:

Excuse my ignorance.  What's a PPF?

It connects the transmission to the differential.  We cut and welded it so we could get more clearance for the diffuser.  The weld fatigued and it snapped.  We had a quick repair in the pits but that failed after a couple laps.   We installed an unmodified one and just cut a hole in our diffuser to fit it.  

20200823_065934.jpg

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Quicker10u said:

I had a paid seat in the #429 team Bare Maximum E36 (blue 4door). Along with the team owners, there were only 3 of us total. Our goal was to feel out the car. Pit stops we’re going to be slow. Friday was a great shakedown as this was the car’s first time on track. Friday went well with no big glaring issues. Tech was pleased with the build and the car seemed solid. Saturday we started at the back of the pack and worked out way up to the teens and then out of nowhere, our drivers rear axle nut removed itself and that broke the hub itself, shooting the tire out from behind the car. This was at about the 5 hour mark. We had spare rear suspension but it was either 328 or m3 spec and wouldn’t work. After begging, borrowing, and stealing from two other BMW teams and a track side hotrod shop (Thanks to you all) we were back together and ready to go for Sunday. Left the track around 9PM. I was first in the car on Sunday and the car felt great. We clicked off some good times 1:48’s and everyone got their stints until with 90 minutes to go, the car started a random misfire and stutter. After throwing plugs and coils at it, we traced it down to a bad alternator. We were done. A fantastic first race for the team and the car.  Driving was courteous for the most part. Had some great battles with the CTS and other BMW’s myself and loved every minute of it. 

Big credit to Matt Godwin of AMG automotive and Rob Parks for building a fantastic car and allowing me to rent. 

Apologies again to Kev at Moneyshift  for running him wide in turn 3-my bad. 

Thanks again to the awesome teams that helped keep us racing. It truly is a brotherhood of speed out there. Glad we were able to help with some welding services and share some of our spares as well. 

until next time!

Ken

That car looked great. So clean...

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Lethal Cliff said:

Excuse my ignorance.  What's a PPF?

I spent 10 minutes trying to figure this out too.  Weird search results from google until I realized it was a miata part.

Any weekend at the track is a good one! Premium Dudes recap:

The Friday test day went well. Confirmed that the new engine we dropped in after a Nelson Ledges meltdown was tip-top. Set some lap times at 1:45.XX.  Good, the yellow e30 has the pace for a podium finish here, now we just need to execute.

On Saturday @red0 took the green around about 35th - 40th place. It only took him 16 minutes to reach P1, which is expected because he's raced Gingerman every year for the last 10 years, and the car is running well. Parts Badger was getting up to speed and we only held P1 for a few minutes before being overtaken. Gyvulys also passed us but we were holding with them. The rest of the race was spent managing pace to make 2 hours and preserve an ailing transmission. Parts Badger dropped out early and we traded the lead with Gyvulys, Nine Four, IPF, and Shut Up as pit stops cycled. Late in the race we were trailing Gyvulys and knew that they were hunting for a yellow for their final pit stop.... if they got the yellow it would lead to a heck of a finish, but they were forced to pit under green, giving us a 2 minute lead with 30 minutes left and I cruised in to victory!

In impound we found that the custom work we did on the intake manifold cracked through the weld and our throttle body was dangerously close to breaking off and was causing a massive vacuum leak. Also we were low on rear brakes. @E. Tyler Pedersen Gave us some pads and a transmission (we opted to keep the ailing trans in the car anyway). Our renter tracked down a master welder 30 miles from the track at 6pm who fixed the intake and we got the car ready for Sunday.

Sunday looked good until we developed rod knock after an hour and parked it so as not to oil down the track.

2 engines in two events. Each dead in about 10-12 hours track time. Yea... we're doing something wrong here. Road America is our next race, we will see if engine #3 fares better and if an accusump solves the issue.

Congrats to Parts Badger for fixing the car and taking the Sunday win. Had a lot of fun racing with everyone.

118340926_10106089621930646_4740107707254022039_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=BYU5DsUHrMgAX8j4U5o&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=222f9aa22038b52690db4a20927ac1c6&oe=5F6B47C0

• Like 4
2 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

If I hung it up it might squeeze my other pictures off the wall.  😆

If you hang that pic up on the wall, that room will end up with glitter everywhere    🤣

Edited by NigelStu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Bavarian Mustache Werks had an excellent weekend as well.  The racing has always been great here and the competition sure has stepped over the years!   No longer is the Coookie Cutter Classic the 'easy points' race with a light field that it used to be.   AWESOME to see that so many others have discovered how good this race is!  I give it 5 of 5 stars, would recommend!

I made a number of improvements and other changes (maybe improvements?) over the looooong off season; some aero work (not planned, test-day a few weeks prior at Gingerman sort of, uh, forced me to make a new FR splitter...), finally got a decent 3.9 diff out of an auto car in there and freshened up an engine with new rings, bearings, seals, valve guides/seals - basically brought it back up to factory fresh and got rid of the flatness we had with the ol' tired motor.  After a few teething issues at Nelsons (fuel pump pickup sock fell off and we could only get about 14 gal fuel out of the car and apparently I forgot how to torque things) I was really looking forward to getting the car all fixed up and back to the track where we tend to do well - could we continue the streak of podium finishes?  Only time would tell....  It was also awesome to get majority of the original team back together - one of the drivers even got a few improvements himself since last time he raced with a new hip!

Saturday run-down.  The plan was for me to drive first, and with the fuel pick-up issue fixed, go run and see how close to 2 hours we could go now that I expected to be able to get 17+ gal out of the tank.  For once, we got lucky with the number draw and started up in the top 10.  Field spread out quick, I had pretty much completely clear track for a few laps early on and snagged fastest lap for the team on lap 4; unexpected for sure.   Moving through traffic and snagging a few spots before the really fast guys caught us, we ran as high as 3rd before losing a few spots to the speedsters prior to the first fuel stop.  Which happened way early.  Granted I did pretty much zero fuel savings as I wanted to keep pace with the leaders to keep us in contention and was predicting 2 hours was achievable.  But I got a hesitation, next lap a big stumble.  First pit at about 1:45.   The guys put a bit over 17 gallons in, so we confirmed that the fuel pick-up issues were resolved!  Unfortunately all of the extra RPMs from diff swap and extra full throttle from the extra aero grip and the pushing hard for majority of the stint meant that fuel use was rather high (some checks to be done to see if there is anything else creating extra fuel usage).  I figured we were done at that point since we had to make that extra fuel stop.  Switched gears a bit and we did what we could to take advantage of as many FCY as possible with the hope that we could possibly make the top 5.  The other guys ran great with consistent laps and mostly trouble free running.  We snagged 2 FCY, so was able to limit the extra stop deficit by a few laps - just not enough to make a difference.  Attrition/issues from others is the only reason why we made it up as far as we did.  Still incredibly happy to make it to impound and salvage an amazing 3rd place with that extra stop. 

Brake change, nut/bolt check and swapping tires around to even out the wear was all we had to do over night.  That was a welcomed blessing!

Sunday, with the 3hr/4hr format, I figured even with the reduced stint length that we had a chance to compete for a podium again.  We reversed the driver order and set out from the back of the pack.  Once again pitting around the 1:45 mark for fuel due to running out on track.  17+ gallons back in and sent the bionic man out for the short 2nd stint.  The red flag for the mini doing its dukes of hazard impression gave us some extra fuel to play with for afternoon, and we were able to use that to a bit of an advantage.  Looking at the tires before the restart, I was concerned that the right side wouldn't make the finish (left side on Saturday).  With ability to stop under caution, we opted to swap out all 4 Direzza Z3s for a set of fresh RE71Rs (these tires are awesome, while they wear way faster than I want to deal with the extra ~2 sec per lap was spectacular!).  Pitting from 4th, the extra 1.5 min or so to change the tires put us back on track in 9th.  Pretty much a full lap down from 8th-->4th.  A bit of attrition and a whole lot of Evan Horner driving really fast (lots of 47s in the mix, also ran our teams fastest lap of weekend with a 1:46.0 something right before pitting) meant that we got to see him pass a LOT of cars.  and a few key cars a couple of times.  We were on a different pit strategy/timing as everyone else, and plan was to keep him out until he ran low or we got another FCY.  Out of fuel it was, right at about the 1:45 mark... Evan made it all the way up to 3rd right before the pit.  We knew that was short lived as we were off-cycle for pit stops.  I jumped in knowing there was a chance.  Especially with the super fast and much fresher rubber on the car.  Headed back on track in 7th, with TR motorsports and Dirte-30 about a minute up on us, and 9-4 motorsports another 30 seconds up from them.  Pretty early in my stint, I saw 2-brothers Merc moving slow, was hoping it was just fuel and they would be back out, but it also gave us a legit shot at the podium.  It was an epic push to work to get the positions back that we dropped in the pits.  I continued what Evan was doing and threw down a nice consistent fast stint.  average lap time was 1:48.5, with me running low 47s when not battling with traffic and just sneaking into the 46s.  There was a convergence of teams with ~30 minutes to go.  I had visibility of TR, dirte-30, 9-4 and (a lap up) Shut up all within proximity from a few spots on the track.  I knew the race was on and the opportunity to make the podium was there.  Gyuvelys was in the mix with that crowd as well, which definitely made things much more interesting - Video of the action below!  Speed and power vs. handling and RE71R grip all while trying to catch that podium spot!!  That convergence made for some exciting racing.  Catching the Champers and the EC car while EC was catching 3rd-6th as well.  My focus was on getting 6th-3rd and seeing if I could un-lap myself and close the gap to 2nd as well.  The excellent grip absolutely helped with swinging past TR, Dirte-30 and 9-4.  And I was taking chunks of time out of Shut up, but we just didn't have the time.  As a way to close the weekend, I am incredibly pleased that the team performed as they had.  Incredibly happy with the double 3rd weekend.  

Thank you to the ChampCar staff for putting on another great event.  And thanks to the safety crew and corner workers for keeping us all as safe as we could be, and making sure we all stayed safe when teams found ways to escape the safe zones.

As a full disclosure for those teams/members that seem to really want to know (why some 'must' know who protested in beyond me....), yes that was me that protested Gyuvelys on Saturday.  Video below highlights WHY I protested.  Knowing that I have a stock engine that is near max power within how I interpret the rules (likely I can get a few more hp and improved economy with going from a turner chip to a stand-alone, and a bit more if I bored the engine and/or shaved the head), seeing a car that has the same claimed engine pull that many car lengths after being sideways through a corner raises some eyebrows.   We discussed within the team (yes, 2 TAC members on my team this weekend), discussed with a few other teams, and concluded the most likely way to be making that much more power was a stroked engine (possibly and/or cams).  I discussed ahead of time with ChampCar staff.  Considering the pull out of corners (once they got car straight), it seemed torque increase was were most of the speed came from.  Hence stroke.  2.8 bottom end is a common swap.  as is putting S50/M54 rotating assembly into a M50 block.  Both of these increase stroke.  We did our research to confirm what the stroke numbers should be for M50B25 and what they could be for B28 or the S50/M54 crank.  This was provided to tech along with an official protest form.  I want to thank Tech for conducting the check. 

I think it is important that the action was done, hopefully it helps all teams to realize that the best thing for this series is to know your car ("I bought it this way" is not a valid argument), bring legal cars to race and the protest process works.  This is OUR series, and as members we ALL have the right, ability and responsibility to keep ourselves and our fellow competitors in check. Whether it is talking to them to get the story and helping them get the right parts on the car, or in cases like this filing a protest.   Have some questions about another team?  Do your research, talk to them, talk to tech, email TAC, petition if you have reasonable suspicion that a team has an illegal part or not accounting for points correctly.  While I do not enjoy 'winning' on a technicality with a protest, I really dislike losing to a team that is gaining an advantage by operating outside of the rule set and do not think it is fair to all my fellow competitors to allow a team to run with expected infractions.  I filed this protest for ChampCar membership.  

Edited by NigelStu
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 6

TAC discussed this possible rules violation during the race. I’m glad to see that the system work as designed with the methods/rules/processes we have in place. Ben’s last paragraph sums it up nicely. Nobody wants to be the guy filing the protest, but we all want a level playing field and this is what must be done.

membership desire seems to be stable rules and enforcement. This is a step in that direction and I feel sends a  huge message. I’m thankful that we have knowledgeable tech inspectors that are willing to do what’s necessary when these situations come up. 

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, NigelStu said:

I think it is important that the action was done, hopefully it helps all teams to realize that the best thing for this series is to know your car ("I bought it this way" is not a valid argument), bring legal cars to race and the protest process works.  This is OUR series, and as members we ALL have the right, ability and responsibility to keep ourselves and our fellow competitors in check. Whether it is talking to them to get the story and helping them get the right parts on the car, or in cases like this filing a protest.   Have some questions about another team?  Do your research, talk to them, talk to tech, email TAC, petition if you have reasonable suspicion that a team has an illegal part or not accounting for points correctly.  While I do not enjoy 'winning' on a technicality with a protest, I really dislike losing to a team that is gaining an advantage by operating outside of the rule set and do not think it is fair to all my fellow competitors to allow a team to run with expected infractions.  I filed this protest for ChampCar membership.  

Thank you for highlighting how well the protest process does work when (and this is key) used appropriately. I agree that as much as it sucks to be the guy filing a protest, it sucks way more to be stuck with a legal car that cannot compete on pace against illegal builds, or in a cycle of exponential cost-creep to stay at the pointy-end of the field.

• Like 2