2020 Gingerman 8+7 hour enduros race reports

2 hours ago, ShutupJack said:

It would be neat for sure...In the meantime its easy enough to delve into their hashtags.  The driver in question was Dustin Bassi.

Both days?  Meaning in both videos shown?  End of day on Sunday @NigelStus video and I *think* end of day Saturday too.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bavarian Mustache Werks had an excellent weekend as well.  The racing has always been great here and the competition sure has stepped over the years!   No longer is the Coookie Cutter Classic the 'eas

I have ZERO shame for utilizing the process that is provided to all of us to help keep our club in check.  No one should have any shame or reservations to do so, as long as there is some just cause in

If you hang that pic up on the wall, that room will end up with glitter everywhere    🤣

Posted Images

On 8/25/2020 at 5:04 PM, JRHille said:

The Whiskey Tango Foxtrot team had a great time at Gingerman (apart from the whole breaking thing).  Huge thanks to the champcar team for putting on such an awesome event during these trying times.  

Justin... I intended to see if you were racing with Ralph but I never got around to looking for you.  You were my instructor at a BMW club Mid-Ohio weekend several years ago (You were driving a brand new ZR1 IIRC) and I wanted to say hi and tell you that you were one of the best instructors I had because you were one of the first to really push me to get my Z car loose.  :P 

I'm sure most folks saw @Wittenauer Racing's post on The ChamCcar Garage about the ending of our race in the #732 Mini Saturday.  We thought we had plenty of pads for the Saturday race but ran out at about the 6 hour mark which led to the crazy offroading experience for our driver J.  Did anyone happen to get video of his off?  We had a couple of folks come by and say that they thought they might have some but we haven't seen anything yet.  

There are ways around mirror drivers. Not many drivers can drive their mirrors well enough not to be tricked into doing something stupid. 

I find that not being in his mirror when he expects it to be effective in throwing off his defense and timing. Purposely drive in his tire tracks then dart to the opposite side that you're going to pass on so he swerves to the outside of the corner just before getting there, then do a crossover. I saw that attempted a couple of times with partial success; a good indication of how to get by but it may need to be a double feint to get his back end swinging. The car recovers rather well from a slide despite his apparently ham-fisted driving so not the easiest to catch him badly out of position.

This guy was pretty ragged on corner entry and got himself crossed up almost every time on the slower left hander. There might have been an opportunity to help him drive off the track by darting to the inside on the approach to that corner, then to the outside to get him to go that way, then back to the inside to make the pass as he goes wide and hopefully into the grass. A bit risky because he might lose it and come across the track as you're going underneath. Your timing has to be right to get him out of position for the corner while not doing the same to yourself.

When I get behind a driver like this I have to resist reverting to my stock car days and letting the other driver PIT himself on my front bumper when he tries to block...

Just some thoughts. :)

Edited by mender
  • Like 1
On 8/25/2020 at 8:51 PM, enginerd said:

In impound we found that the custom work we did on the intake manifold cracked through the weld and our throttle body was dangerously close to breaking off and was causing a massive vacuum leak.

Sunday looked good until we developed rod knock after an hour and parked it so as not to oil down the track.

2 engines in two events. Each dead in about 10-12 hours track time. Yea... we're doing something wrong here. Road America is our next race, we will see if engine #3 fares better and if an accusump solves the issue.

If by a massive vacuum leak you mean that you were introducing unmetered air into the engine, you may have been running very lean and detonating. That will certainly cause rod bearing issues. Even if it only happens during transitional throttle and not full throttle the damage can be cumulative.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, mender said:

If by a massive vacuum leak you mean that you were introducing unmetered air into the engine, you may have been running very lean and detonating. That will certainly cause rod bearing issues. Even if it only happens during transitional throttle and not full throttle the damage can be cumulative.

Fascinating! At idle it was surging over 3,000 rpm and then dropping off and surging, frequency of about 0.33 Hz. Unnoticeable while racing, but following the pace car and rolling down pit road required some focus and playing with throttle / clutch / brake to keep the car from bucking.

Ill pull the head when the rest of the engine comes out and look for detonation.

Thanks!!

50 minutes ago, mender said:

There are ways around mirror drivers. Not many drivers can drive their mirrors well enough not to be tricked into doing something stupid. 

I find that not being in his mirror when he expects it to be effective in throwing off his defense and timing. Purposely drive in his tire tracks then dart to the opposite side that you're going to pass on so he swerves to the outside of the corner just before getting there, then do a crossover. I saw that attempted a couple of times with partial success; a good indication of how to get by but it may need to be a double feint to get his back end swinging. The car recovers rather well from a slide despite his apparently ham-fisted driving so not the easiest to catch him badly out of position.

This guy was pretty ragged on corner entry and got himself crossed up almost every time on the slower left hander. There might have been an opportunity to help him drive off the track by darting to the inside on the approach to that corner, then to the outside to get him to go that way, then back to the inside to make the pass as he goes wide and hopefully into the grass. A bit risky because he might lose it and come across the track as you're going underneath. Your timing has to be right to get him out of position for the corner while not doing the same to yourself.

When I get behind a driver like this I have to resist reverting to my stock car days and letting the other driver PIT himself on my front bumper when he tries to block...

Just some thoughts. :)

Guess i'll just let someone better than me drive our car next time. Thanks 

• Haha 4
3 minutes ago, shutupracing said:

Guess i'll just let someone better than me drive our car next time. Thanks 

It's not meant as a criticism of your driving, just hopefully adding to the collective bag of tricks to use out there.

• Like 2

It's complete speculation, but I'm not sure the driver in the videos is the same as the name posted earlier. I watched some in car video from his Facebook page of the VIR race and it had none of the characteristics found in the Gingerman video. I will keep my judgement that I don't like the guy though since he has a motion rig at his house. 

2 hours ago, sig11 said:

Justin... I intended to see if you were racing with Ralph but I never got around to looking for you.  You were my instructor at a BMW club Mid-Ohio weekend several years ago (You were driving a brand new ZR1 IIRC) and I wanted to say hi and tell you that you were one of the best instructors I had because you were one of the first to really push me to get my Z car loose.  :P 

Hey!  I remember that weekend.  That ZR1 was a monster to drive there....  Did you have a red 370Z?  Thanks for the kind words. I love instructing and feels good to hear someone remembers!!

19 minutes ago, JRHille said:

Hey!  I remember that weekend.  That ZR1 was a monster to drive there....  Did you have a red 370Z?  Thanks for the kind words. I love instructing and feels good to hear someone remembers!!

Sure did/do.  It's a street car/backup track day car these days or will be once I replace the engine.  Ralph built the drivers seat mount and installed the harness bar in that car ages ago for me.  Started knocking last April at GingerMan and I only heard it when I slowed down to wait for a point from the Mini we totaled this year.  :P  I instruct a bit these days too.  It can really be a blast!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mender said:

I would have needed to resist the urge to square up on his rear bumper and invite him to race someone else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/31/2020 at 11:11 AM, sig11 said:

I'm sure most folks saw @Wittenauer Racing's post on The ChamCcar Garage about the ending of our race in the #732 Mini Saturday.  We thought we had plenty of pads for the Saturday race but ran out at about the 6 hour mark which led to the crazy offroading experience for our driver J.  Did anyone happen to get video of his off?  We had a couple of folks come by and say that they thought they might have some but we haven't seen anything yet.  

I was one that said i may have video, i checked but i was too far back when it happened for the camera to see it.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, hcsi99 said:

For the teams running RE-71R's at Gingerman, how long did they seem to last before there was a noticeable fall off?  I saw a few teams running the new Falken RT660's and would love to hear some feedback on those too.  

I didn’t’ notice any grip fall off, but we did run our fastest lap on lap 4! Right side tires still good at the end of Saturday (stickers scuffed on Friday) left sides were changed to some 3/4 tread tires before the last stint out of an abundance of caution but the ones we took off still had plenty of tread. Gingerman was much nicer on tires than Nelson in July. 
Thinking about trying the 660, too. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Thanks 1
  • Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, hcsi99 said:

For the teams running RE-71R's at Gingerman, how long did they seem to last before there was a noticeable fall off?  I saw a few teams running the new Falken RT660's and would love to hear some feedback on those too.  

If you have tire pressures set right (e.g., not too high where you'd over-heat the tires, not too low so that you get too much roll-over), I would not expect any fall-off until you cord them.  Evan's fastest lap was his last full lap of his stint, after ~1:45 on track.  I ran my fastest laps towards the end of my stint, another 1:30ish, so essentially no fall-off.  We also only had the tires on for those last 2 stints on Sunday....   They would NOT last a full day on my car, so had we put them on in the morning, I would have expected some fall-off in 3rd or 4th stint when the cords would have started showing on the left front.

I would expect with the weight of the Caddy, that you would have a very difficult time getting a set to last all day.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Technical Advisory Committee
On 8/31/2020 at 11:11 AM, sig11 said:

My driver was a ways back, but the camera did manage to capture your exit stage left...

I'd guess the issue started a bit earlier in the lap.

Right away in the video, you can see the mini going into T8.  As my driver rounds T9, there is dirt in the air and you can see the mini doing a bit of off-roading coming out of T10.  The pack of cars blocks view of the mini in braking zone for T11, but a couple of chunk of car bits show up just before the mini comes into view making a b-line for 3 Blonds Brewery.

Glad driver is OK.  

Edited by NigelStu
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NigelStu said:

My driver was a ways back, but the camera did manage to capture your exit stage left...

Yow!  That's about the wildest off I've ever seen.  We've got to sort out a camera that will last for the whole race.  

Got washed and pulled some of our car 5 apart and found out the problem from our early retirement on Saturday.

Seems someone let the racing magic out and the junk yard motor is truly junk.

IMG_1045.jpg

Edited by 55mini
spelling
  • Sad 2

Team Mid Life Crisis (E36 #666) was glad to be back at Gingerman for the umpteenth time. Some of you might have noticed that we actually replaced the snowboard wing with a legit Wang from 9 Lives and did some other aero as well. We also upgraded our engine with a fresh bore, pistons and a swapped in M52 crank giving us  more of a 2.9L. 

Interesting thing was that we tried to claim the swapped in crank and were told it automatically makes us EC. Given that we normally race EC anyway and were trying to go legit into C, this seemed kind of silly and I pointed out that given the way some E36s pull I could basically guaranty others had stoked their engine and suggested that they consider checking with the stick down the cylinder method. Imagine my surprise when I saw that happening at impound!  

Note that I have since been told that I can now claim the swap as a platform swap. 

We had fun Friday and Saturday, with our changes to the car dropping our times 4-5 seconds per lap over last year, but we broke our trans Sunday AM and that was it for us. 

I share the opinion that the racing was clean, particularly for how many cars were on that small track. I also commend the safety crew.

Big thanks to Chelsey and the ChampCar team for another great, well run, event. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1