Good Bad and Ugly Discussion.

• Administrators
Just now, SonsOfIrony said:

Tyler, thank you for updating us.

I honestly don't think 1 large failure lead to the GBU unicorn.  It was many small failures, and I firmly believe the BOD will make the right decision to rein them in.

I can't say until I've raced against them personally if the speed differential is unsafe.  If it not, then I would like to see them continue to run the car with enough penalty laps to allow a race to the finish.  Sundays race was far more exciting (stressful) to listen to.  Congrats on the win, no one deserves it more, and you earned the heck out of it.  See you at Road America.

We could keep up with GBU in the corners but then they would blow us away in the straight aways.  Again I don't have a problem with the build, but it does need some laps to bring parity.  As it sits it is not a 500 point car.  I have suggested using our resources within ChampCar to look at this build.  The TAC is a very good resource and we are utilizing them a lot more.  There are WAY smarter tech type people than me around here.  

Sunday was very stressful.  I stayed out of my pits until 30 mins left in the race and just kept myself busy.  Thanks again!

I look forward to seeing you at Road America.  Come say hey and let's have an adult beverage together!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning folks.  I had a great discussion with Mike Chisek and Bill Riley yesterday.  I knew that the TAC was working on about 5 or 6 additional cars that need revalued on the VPI list so for 2021

My story.  I'm not one for protesting.  Have never done it. I also understand that post race tech, whether protested by a team or discovered by tech, illegal is illegal.  When I am asked to withdraw m

Just to be clear.  Nobody is upset with GBU for building the car or how the team is or drives.  We are upset with how the series handled teching and point association with this car, both pre and post

Posted Images

From what I saw of GBU at Daytona they were very careful and courteous drivers, which helps mitigate some of the risks of the speed differential. The differential wasnt' crazy to my car, but to some of the lower pack cars it might be pretty drastic.

I for one am VERY interested in seeing how things play out at RA. A couple of my friends are bringing their well sorted WRL (detuned) C5 corvettes (that will be in EC) and I will be interested to see how they stack up. Those are top eschelon GP1 cars in WRL.

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 3
56 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

From what I saw of GBU at Daytona they were very careful and courteous drivers, which helps mitigate some of the risks of the speed differential. The differential wasnt' crazy to my car, but to some of the lower pack cars it might be pretty drastic.

Same here, not a slow car but easily passed by GBU, never did they force the issue.

People need to pay attn to things like this,they are very professional on track.

• Like 3

I though GBU drove very safely-- no divebombing, patient in corners.  And they ran with their 10 zillion lux lights blazing (at least until they got crunched on day 1), which was really helpful.  Could see them coming from a long way back.  Think that is something that all the high-closing-speed cars should always run.

Edited by eyeballs19
4 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

I for one am VERY interested in seeing how things play out at RA. A couple of my friends are bringing their well sorted WRL (detuned) C5 corvettes (that will be in EC) and I will be interested to see how they stack up. Those are top eschelon GP1 cars in WRL.

I concur what Paul said, at VIR24 I came upon them numerous times and they were always very patient and courteous.

11 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

So now is it ok for the BMW crowd to show up in something like this for 45 points? 

Based on how Tech approached a simple 3" raised cowl Cobra R hood, I'm literally blown away at the BS of getting an entire widebody kit that replaced every panel on the car except the hood for 45 points. Completely at a loss for words how they justify such a point value. 

"What are you claiming for the hood?" was the very first question that Tech asked when we brought the car through the first time in 2018. I guess for GBU it was "How many points can you spare?". 

12 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

humm we have 100 to use. Maybe we should also run a 350 (the 180hp kind of course lol)

And a T101, because gen 3 had a 4 speed with the V8 but nobody has seen one except in race cars...

• Haha 2
On 9/18/2020 at 2:59 PM, Final Turn Motorsports said:

Just to be clear.  Nobody is upset with GBU for building the car or how the team is or drives.  We are upset with how the series handled teching and point association with this car, both pre and post race.  The team is truly a great group of guys.  We just need to fix the broken stuff.

absolutely.

but here's the problem: i can go buy a first gen 996 for ~12k. cage it and throw some decent shocks and springs on (under the 2x limit of course) and just go line up and do fine, it just doesn't need much more to go racing. the 996 weighs ~3k pounds in street form and puts out 294hp in vanilla factory rating. So allowing for cage coming back in and stripping the interior (not a lot to pull out of that car), lets say race weight is 2500, so a P/W of 8.50 at the start line.

The consensus seems to be GBU was well north of 300hp, and while the oem curb weight for C3 is 3500 pounds, i'm also guessing based on some other things here that it's highly likely this car weighs in at ~25-2700 lbs. So let's use 325hp and 2700 lbs. In that scenario the P/W is 8.30.

So, you have a nearly identical P/W ratio between the two, however GBU was apparently tech'd as a 500 point car. The VPI only goes up to like 1985 for the 911 and that's 1500 freaking points.

Here's the crazy part. i'd bet my build cost for the 996 would be right around 25k, maybe 30k if i went through and replaced all the fasteners, non-driveline wear parts, etc. hell i spent a lot more than 30k on my e30 build! i'm betting GBU was probably closer to 50k.

This is exactly why I haven't started a new build project yet.

Edited by atxe30
  • Like 3

What does everybody think is sooo expensive about this build?

C3 are cheap.  That engine isn't going to break the bank.

The Rear end is less than 2k all in and rebuilt.  

Trans is like 500.

What is the expensive stuff here?  Somebody already showed the body kit isn't as expensive as what was originally quoted.

In other words, I bet this is an average cost build for a competitive champcar.  Probably somewhere around 15 to 20k is my guess.

• Haha 5

who knows what they spent but do you really think they are only 15k all in on that car?, and really this is why i posted the three questions needing answers a ways back in the thread.

that said be sure consider my post in two separate buckets:

1) Performance profiles

2) Build costs

both need some consideration

Edited by atxe30
6 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Trans is like 500.

What is the expensive stuff here?  Somebody already showed the body kit isn't as expensive as what was originally quoted.

In other words, I bet this is an average cost build for a competitive champcar.  Probably somewhere around 15 to 20k is my guess.

Not everyone uses junk, especially Riley.   You are delusional.  

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, atxe30 said:

absolutely.

but here's the problem: i can go buy a first gen 996 for ~12k. cage it and throw some decent shocks and springs on (under the 2x limit of course) and just go line up and do fine, it just doesn't need much more to go racing. the 996 weighs ~3k pounds in street form and puts out 294hp in vanilla factory rating. So allowing for cage coming back in and stripping the interior (not a lot to pull out of that car), lets say race weight is 2500, so a P/W of 8.50 at the start line.

The consensus seems to be GBU was well north of 300hp, and while the oem curb weight for C3 is 3500 pounds, i'm also guessing based on some other things here that it's highly likely this car weighs in at ~25-2700 lbs. So let's use 325hp and 2700 lbs. In that scenario the P/W is 8.30.

So, you have a nearly identical P/W ratio between the two, however GBU was apparently tech'd as a 500 point car. The VPI only goes up to like 1985 for the 911 and that's 1500 freaking points.

Here's the crazy part. i'd bet my build cost for the 996 would be right around 25k, maybe 30k if i went through and replaced all the fasteners, non-driveline wear parts, etc. hell i spent a lot more than 30k on my e30 build! i'm betting GBU was probably closer to 50k.

This is exactly why I haven't started a new build project yet.

Do it! 996 race car would be awesome, can even LS swap them easily now.

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Trans is like 500.

It has probably $10k just in the dash (Motec, electronics). The heads are $2200 a pair. The Holley EFI setup and intake is ~$1500. A $500 trans? 🤣

• Like 1