New Team, New Build: TDI Jetta - Philadelphia, PA

Hello everyone! Long time listener, first time caller. Like many before, my friends and I have finally crossed the "Hey, we should do budget endurance racing someday" threshold with the purchase of our 2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI. Our target first event is the December 2020 race at VIR.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

We've been building/restoring/repairing/etc watercooled Volkswagens for most of our lives so the VW platform was natural. The TDI part, however, is our own cruel way of making everything slightly more interesting and challenging than it needs to be. We've been working out our plans for months now, holding web meetings throughout the Covid-19 crisis. Our strategy basically boils down to adding lightness, ECU tuning the TDI, maximizing our available suspension upgrades, and praying for reliability.

This past week our schedules finally lined up, and we were able to begin phase 1 of building our racecar:

spacer.png

In roughly one hour, we were able to pull 400+ lbs out of the car!

Up next we'll be removing the existing drivetrain and further prepping the chassis for racing. Thanks for watching and reading!

Edited by obscene
  • Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

More parts have started to arrive.
Roll cage work hopefully starts soon.
Our LSD is back-ordered, so current plan is get the car running and driving to sort out any gremlins, then pull the trans out later to install the LSD.
Hoping to get the car to my house at some point so I can finalize all the safety equipment.

• Like 1

I raced against a Mk4 TDi @ Laguna last year. Team name is EuroTek Tuning  They are out of Las Vegas. That is the name of their shop. The car was pretty fast in fact i think it lead at one point, until it had transmission issues.  Are you going with a Peloquin LSD? Where in Philly are you guys? I'm in Moorestown NJ right over the bridge.

On 10/8/2020 at 12:59 PM, a914freak said:

I raced against a Mk4 TDi @ Laguna last year. Team name is EuroTek Tuning  They are out of Las Vegas. That is the name of their shop. The car was pretty fast in fact i think it lead at one point, until it had transmission issues.  Are you going with a Peloquin LSD? Where in Philly are you guys? I'm in Moorestown NJ right over the bridge.

Yes, planning to swap in an LSD but it's currently backordered so we may have to run open for the December race. We're about 30 miles west of Philly.

On 10/8/2020 at 2:04 PM, SC-WildWest said:

Looks like you all are making good progress. Look forward to seeing the finished product!

Thanks! Me too!