How about this...
If you have to change a tire. 1 to 4 tires.
It's an automatic 10 minute stop at pit out. No matter what.

I had a driver fix a bouncing tire that was good by flat spotting it and putting a 4" hole in it. 
So yes. Tire change. sit at pit out for a predetermined time.

• Like 2
  • Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The "hung up on winning a trophy" statement that comes out occasionally is really tiring.  What's the point of any undertaking in life if you don't want to compete with the best on an equal footing an

Why do we need a rule for this.  Can’t a phone call stop this?     Mike Chisek = MC Big Spender = BS   ring....ring...   BS  Hello MC  Hi, this is MC with

If dont want re71r in the series, just don't let it in the series.   I like the idea of a list of allowable tires.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Bill Strong said:

How about this...
If you have to change a tire. 1 to 4 tires.
It's an automatic 10 minute stop at pit out. No matter what.

I had a driver fix a bouncing tire that was good by flat spotting it and putting a 4" hole in it. 
So yes. Tire change. sit at pit out for a predetermined time.

That has been put in petition in different forms already and denied by the BOD.

So this would have teams choose to run on unsafe tires that are about to pop near the end of the race because they don't want the 10 min penalty.  "Just stay out and lets hope it lasts" 

There are many teams that cannot run a full day on 1 set of tires due to a variety of reasons like poor alignments, junk suspension, poor weight distribution.  While we (I say we becuase my team is one of them) are certainly trying to improve our tire wear, we don't have the time or money to get it all setup correctly now.  

Just keep in mind when defining these rules that you are trying to keep the wealthier teams from spending their way to the podium, but many of us "tight budget" teams are impacted too.  I suspect more teams have tighter budgets...

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, QuaTTro said:

So this would have teams choose to run on unsafe tires that are about to pop near the end of the race because they don't want the 10 min penalty.  "Just stay out and lets hope it lasts" 

There are many teams that cannot run a full day on 1 set of tires due to a variety of reasons like poor alignments, junk suspension, poor weight distribution.  While we (I say we becuase my team is one of them) are certainly trying to improve our tire wear, we don't have the time or money to get it all setup correctly now.  

Just keep in mind when defining these rules that you are trying to keep the wealthier teams from spending their way to the podium, but many of us "tight budget" teams are impacted too.  I suspect more teams have tighter budgets...

I think that rule would hurt some top teams, but really help others that are on the edge. If a team can do a full day one set and burn up that set then they are golden. I would be one of those teams.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, QuaTTro said:

Nothing personally directed toward you, but I REALLY hope that kind of asinine in-race thinking isn't as pervasive in reality as it seems on the forum.  I've seen it brought up several times while discussing this topic.  What would that team do if they had no tires left to change to?  What if it were compromised brakes and you had no spares?  What if you find an oil or fuel leak but it's going to take 10 minutes to fix it?  Just "send it" and hope you don't hurt or kill yourselves or somebody else?  I sure hope people would have the common sense to know when to pit (regardless of penalty incurred) or park it if safety is in question.

Could the rule be something like, "No more than one tire may be changed on a refueling pit stop.  Changing in excess of one tire requires an additional, untimed stop."  That would allow you to cycle through used tires one at a time with no penalty with careful planning.  But it forces another pit stop of at least a couple minutes if you want to change all 4.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, karman1970 said:

Nothing personally directed toward you, but I REALLY hope that kind of asinine in-race thinking isn't as pervasive in reality as it seems on the forum.  I've seen it brought up several times while discussing this topic.  What would that team do if they had no tires left to change to?  What if it were compromised brakes and you had no spares?  What if you find an oil or fuel leak but it's going to take 10 minutes to fix it?  Just "send it" and hope you don't hurt or kill yourselves or somebody else?  I sure hope people would have the common sense to know when to pit (regardless of penalty incurred) or park it if safety is in question.

Could the rule be something like, "No more than one tire may be changed on a refueling pit stop.  Changing in excess of one tire requires an additional, untimed stop."  That would allow you to cycle through used tires one at a time with no penalty with careful planning.  But it forces another pit stop of at least a couple minutes if you want to change all 4.

Write a petition up and send it in. Maybe someday one of the tire petitions will go through. I still have hope the BOD will address this someday and give the budget teams a chance again.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, enginerd said:

RR at autobahn 2017, after 14 hours, won the 12 hr day 1, replaced this after stint 1 on day 2:

30F811E4-5D9E-490C-A141-34CFBF1A84B4.jpeg

@Slugworks Paul this is the extent I go to to stretch tires... I said “yep, that tire can go another 2 hours before replacing”, and started the race on it.

This is why I consider you the authority on how long tires can go!