1 hour ago, riche30 said:

It wouldn't alienate 37% of the field.  Yes, some cars would need to make adjustments by adding weight or ballast back (ballast would be legal in my ruleset).  My best guess was that it completely eliminated maybe 2 cars on that graph posted (our Datsun and your MR2)

I am betting it would eliminate a lot more cars that than. It would slow the field down a bunch and do a lot of parity so good and bad as any new idea has, we just have to weigh the pros and cons.

I was hoping someone would come up with a brilliant idea that we could all get behind, but that does not seem the case.

• Members
1 hour ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

I am betting it would eliminate a lot more cars that than. It would slow the field down a bunch and do a lot of parity so good and bad as any new idea has, we just have to weigh the pros and cons.

I was hoping someone would come up with a brilliant idea that we could all get behind, but that does not seem the case.

don't get me wrong Troy... I appreciate the feedback and don't mind people shooting holes in my ideas.  And no matter what changes are made, there will be a class of people that are angry.  But, from my perspective, its usually the guys at the front of the pack that have the resources to adjust.  Those at the back of the pack often struggle just to make the show.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, veris said:

If we need a new rule it should be that VPIs don't change more then 100 points in a year. If the corvette hadn't been dropped by 350 points last year we wouldn't be having this conversation. For the record, IMO, the c3 corvette should have a 250 to 350 VPI. 

That petition was made 2 years ago and not passed. 

It may have made sense then. I can't recall another scenario where a VPI changed more then 100 points let alone 350 in a single year. I'm not saying it didn't happen but it was rare. 

A 350 point change really is crazy large. That is a 70% change. It makes no sense so I can understand why the board would think it is unnecessary. I'm curious what prompted the huge change. 

13 minutes ago, veris said:

It may have made sense then. I can't recall another scenario where a VPI changed more then 100 points let alone 350 in a single year. I'm not saying it didn't happen but it was rare. 

A 350 point change really is crazy large. That is a 70% change. It makes no sense so I can understand why the board would think it is unnecessary. I'm curious what prompted the huge change. 

I submitted the petition. It was for no more than 35 points or 10% increase or decrease to VPI on a year over year basis. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, veris said:

Great forethought on your part. 

35 points might be too little but 350 is clearly too much. 20% might be the right limitation. 

I based it on a midpoint VPI and 10%. So figured basing it on 350 points was a good spot. This happened, I recall, right after the decision to add 100 points to the T-bird, which was later reduced to a 50 point increase (from 200 to 250). 

On 9/16/2020 at 2:07 PM, Black Magic said:

If you actually want some sort of bookend limits on PWR in the series we could at least move motor mods into a calculator and off the fixed VPI list. If you entered the engine base power and had multipliers for the engine mods, this could give you an "estimated" power that is plugged into something that resembles the swap calculator. This gives a net VPI of the combo to use in your logbook. 

This generally does not work - see WRL. They are now using dynamometers, which is where that idea would likely eventually go.

The issue is that different engines respond differently to the same modifications, sometimes drastically. The estimator would create loophole outliers for sure.

@the5 can tell you allllllllll about it :)

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 1

For example, Here are two Coyote engines. Both Are Identical except for the Intake Manifold, Cams and Slightly (.5) lower compression. Guess which one I had used as the "base" for my Mods of Intake Manifold and Cams Modifiers 😂

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 8.32.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 8.32.15 AM.png

• Like 1