Live incar lap timer/scoring app

• Members
3 hours ago, Squelch said:

DriverMonitor has use outside the car as well.

We put a tablet in the pit with it running, keeps the crew on top of our status and if the driver doesn't want to look, or the distraction, we can always radio the details to them when they want it.

I assume the tablet needs and internet connection then? I wonder if just having the crew look at the lap times and inform the driver of just what they need when they need it and let the driver concentrate on driving. I do not think I would want to be distracted by all that. Also, half my drivers have issues reading a simple digital water temperature gauge that when above 220 inform the pits. I love the, "The water temp is at 252, what should I do?" You should have told me 20 minutes ago when it was at 225 so we could manage it and be ready now you have blown up the dang engine.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

"The water temp is at 252, what should I do?" You should have told me 20 minutes ago when it was at 225 so we could manage it and be ready now you have blown up the dang engine.

Alternatively, you could build a car that doesn't run at 252 degrees. 

hardly art burn GIF by Tacocat

• Members
9 hours ago, Snorman said:

Alternatively, you could build a car that doesn't run at 252 degrees. 

hardly art burn GIF by Tacocat

I thought I did. The front splitter turnbuckle broke and we used a ratchet strap to hold it up. This caused the stock rubber bumper to crush down and the radiator opening went to about 1/3 the size.

• Like 1

Hi All

I'm the author of the DriverMonitor app and have run ChampCar with the BlueShells team, feel free to reach out with any questions.

I designed the app to display the info as its updated, but honestly in my racing I only look at when the information is valuable.  There are points of a race its not, and there are others it is and its vastly easier to glance at it when I think its pertinent than to try to get what I want from the pits and all the garbled sounds.  I've also seen where the pits may give me a goal to drive to and I can see the feedback on how I'm achieving that each lap so it frees up radio time for more useful comms.  Its been my experience that the users that get the most value out of it are those at the front of the grid; for others it indeed can become distraction and I don't reccomend it.  But if you're sufficiently situationally aware to consume one more input and know when and when not to use it, then its proven to be valuable for many teams and drivers.

Tim Wise

https://drivermonitor.app

https://facebook.com/drivermonitor

#KnowWhatYoureDoing 

Edited by leisurehound
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 8:55 AM, epic_garage said:

Any talks about making an android version?

Unfortunately no.  There just hasn't been enough users on either platform to warrant duplicating the effort.  I almost started building a platform independent version but then work got in the way.

What I know several people do is buy a cheap refurbished iPhone and a pay as you go cell plan and then you're not risking the phone you make a living with during the week while participating in your hobby on the weekends.  Especially for endurance racing, I would not want my phone in the car all day when people may want to reach me when i'm out of the car...