MYLAPS / AMB TRANX160 STYLE TRANSPONDERS - BRAND NEW

1 hour ago, Snorman said:

The yellow TranX 160's were not designed for use in full body race cars. These were designed for karting and have a much lower speed resolution. 

You shouldn't be selling these as usable in an endurance auto racing series. 

Been using 1 for around 9 years now.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Been using 1 for around 9 years now.....

Interesting. I've been told by several people the yellow 160's aren't for cars. One of them is a good friend who raced WERA and said he couldn't use them because they didn't register at the speeds they hit (or accurately). 

7 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Interesting. I've been told by several people the yellow 160's aren't for cars. One of them is a good friend who raced WERA and said he couldn't use them because they didn't register at the speeds they hit (or accurately). 

I was told that too.  

Only ever had an issue when the battery was dying.  Paid that guy down in Texas about 50$ to put another battery in it about 3 or 4 years ago.

• Like 1

• ChampCar Staff
21 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I was told that too.  

Only ever had an issue when the battery was dying.  Paid that guy down in Texas about 50$ to put another battery in it about 3 or 4 years ago.

Both of you are correct. The yellow ones are not designed for cars, but they do transmit a signal and the Orbits decoder will pick up that signal. However the red ones emit a more powerful signal and a wider beam. Together that means the transponder can be mounted up in a car several inches higher, and have the strength and wide enough beam to hit a loop going 100+ on track. 

Yes, the yellows will work, but you're gambling, if the track equipment is in poor shape, or buried too deep (and yes that has happened) the weaker signal of the yellow may cause you to miss laps.

Hope that helps, just trying to help people make informed decisions.

Dana

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3