E30 Accusump?

Donovan

1 minute ago, Grufton said:

That's 25 pts right?  Or is this another unpublished freebie?

You don't need to change the entire oil pan.  You can make a drop in baffle setup for material points.  The material could easily be repurposed from an interior door skin or similar.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

You don't need to change the entire oil pan.  You can make a drop in baffle setup for material points.  The material could easily be repurposed from an interior door skin or similar.

What he said. Not a different oil pan

7 minutes ago, Grufton said:

Uh huh, count me as a skeptic.  You certainly COULD fabricate something from repurposed parts, but at $130 from Bimmerworld, I bet there are quite a few running unclaimed.  Those hinges would be particularly tricky.

Our m20 oil pan baffle didn’t have hinges, just a flat plate with cutout for the pump things. Maybe that’s why we still saw low oil pressure in the corners! I always claimed a couple feet of metal in logbook which included this. We typically teched around 480 pts. 

Edited by enginerd

Yep tricky for sure. Templates are available online so you don’t have to design your own or buy it from bimmerworld(May have been where I got my inspiration) . Rules state non OEM oil pan 25. Still using OEM pan. If I’m ever in impound I’ll expect the protest. 😀

Edited by TimS

• Technical Advisory Committee

We see oil pressure drops in left hand turns to <25 psi as well.   The worst offenders are south bend at VIR-F and the carousel at VIR-S.

When the bearings came out around 200 hours they weren't visibly worn whatsoever.  They are currently in my street E30 which sees the limiter every time its driven.

The usual rule of thumb is 10psi per 1000 rpm, but for the M20 with its large bearing surfaces apparently 5psi/1k rpm is perfectly acceptable.  

The worst part is trying to set a logical oil pressure alarm in the AIM that works if its ever needed but doesn't go off as a nuisance alarm... theres no "dont go off if the car is turning left" condition, haha

11 minutes ago, Huggy said:

We see oil pressure drops in left hand turns to <25 psi as well.   The worst offenders are south bend at VIR-F and the carousel at VIR-S.

When the bearings came out around 200 hours they weren't visibly worn whatsoever.  They are currently in my street E30 which sees the limiter every time its driven.

The usual rule of thumb is 10psi per 1000 rpm, but for the M20 with its large bearing surfaces apparently 5psi/1k rpm is perfectly acceptable.  

The worst part is trying to set a logical oil pressure alarm in the AIM that works if its ever needed but doesn't go off as a nuisance alarm... theres no "dont go off if the car is turning left" condition, haha

In the Premium Noobs car, the oil pressure would be pegged at 0 through left hand sweepers. When hot it would idle at maybe 2 PSI as well. Somehow I don't think this ever caused a problem. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Huggy said:

FWIW I have heard of guys using mechanical filtering of the signal to help with this. Basically a restrictor with a tiny accumulator or section of low stiffness hose and sensor after it. The sensed pressure would degrade slowly and you would only get an alarm after a longer period of oil pressure being low. 

I would hope a one shot glass accumulator would not be valued as an accusump and instead a sensor...but I guess who knows. 

Could electrically delay the signal change as well.

1 hour ago, red0 said:

In the Premium Noobs car, the oil pressure would be pegged at 0 through left hand sweepers. When hot it would idle at maybe 2 PSI as well. Somehow I don't think this ever caused a problem. 

@red0 is always prone to hyperbole, however, since the only times I look at gauges while racing are when leaving and entering pit lane, I can’t contest the claim on left hand sweeper oil pressure. Hot idle was more like 5-10 psi. 

32 minutes ago, enginerd said:

@red0 is always prone to hyperbole, however, since the only times I look at gauges while racing are when leaving and entering pit lane, I can’t contest the claim on left hand sweeper oil pressure. Hot idle was more like 5-10 psi. 

I'm pretty sure after a hard 2 hours it was under 5 PSI. 

Edited by red0

• Administrators

At Charlotte going on to the ROVAL we were seeing 6 to 8 psi on some occasions. 

At Indy we saw a flashing red on the dash for oil pressure, but I haven't pulled the data to see what that psi numbers were

At Gingerman we saw again the flashing red on the dash and I think it went down to 15 or so going around 10b.

When those happen, then I make sure we put more oil in at the pit stops.

• Like 2

I use a Hobbs switch set at 30 psi to trigger a large red shift light in the Fiero and with a baffled pan and one extra quart it never actuates. Video shows no drop in the corners.

Trap doors are easy, use sections of piano hinge welded to the flaps. I pull the hinge pin out after cutting the hinge to length and substitute a smaller diameter rod with extra length on both ends and bend the ends at 90 degrees to each other as stops. If it rattles when you shake the pan, you're good.

Edited by mender

21 minutes ago, mender said:

I use a Hobbs switch set at 30 psi to trigger a large red shift light in the Fiero and with a baffled pan and one extra quart it never actuates. Video shows no drop in the corners.

Trap doors are easy, use sections of piano hinge welded to the flaps. I pull the hinge pin out after cutting the hinge to length and substitute a smaller diameter rod with extra length on both ends and bend the ends at 90 degrees to each other as stops. If it rattles when you shake the pan, you're good.

I think only bentleys come with a grand piano dealer-installed option... so for the rest of us who can’t repurpose one, how many points is a length of piano hinge? :P

Edited by enginerd
  • Haha 4