GBU II?

1 hour ago, karman1970 said:

Did they install it on top of the 60% of the original body that the rules require you to leave intact?

I was gonna refute this point by saying it just needs to appear to be 60% of the body.... 

Then I looked up the actual rule.

9.5.2. Each car entered must have a minimum of SIXTY 
PERCENT (60%) of the total ORIGINAL body work and 
panels on the car.

How are they going to get around that one?

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I was gonna refute this point by saying it just needs to appear to be 60% of the body.... 

panels on the car.

Maybe they have it underneath the bodywork :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

panels on the car.

There is no way to get around it without violating that provision of the BCCR or them being given a pass. 

That is 100% NOT the "ORIGINAL body work and panels". It's not the "ORIGINAL body work and panels" underneath of it either. That is clearly an aftermarket Eckler (or similar) Turbo widebody kit. Same vents, same fender, door and quarter panel flare profiles. 

bgwgzb.jpg

Bg8Qpj.jpg

tZKCS0.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

why the aftermarket kit? Better aero?

IMO, it really doesn't matter. Tech wanted to give us 48 points for a hood. They got out a tape measure and measured it. We were told the Camaro guys running fiberglass hoods were taking big points too. I would ask if the square footage of the entire body kit was measured and multiplied by 3 points/SF but it's a moot point. 

The car doesn't have 60% of the "ORIGINAL body work and panels". Also note, GM didn't make a convertible Corvette in '78, so that's missing too and included in that lack of 60%. 

10 minutes ago, Snorman said:

IMO, it really doesn't matter. Tech wanted to give us 48 points for a hood. They got out a tape measure and measured it. We were told the Camaro guys running fiberglass hoods were taking big points too. I would ask if the square footage of the entire body kit was measured and multiplied by 3 points/SF but it's a moot point. 

The car doesn't have 60% of the "ORIGINAL body work and panels". Also note, GM didn't make a convertible Corvette in '78, so that's missing too and included in that lack of 60%. 

haha 48 points for a hood.......how much they weight? 

5 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

haha 48 points for a hood.......how much they weight? 

On appeal to the Event Director it was reduced to 25 points, then put on the fixed value list for 2019. But the fact remains, they wanted to assess us for 16 square feet of material. And the gutted stock hook (which is fiberglass composite anyway) weighs the same or less than the raised cowl hood did. And I personally prefer it because of the better visibility. 

• Technical Advisory Committee
58 minutes ago, Snorman said:

I would ask if the square footage of the entire body kit was measured and multiplied by 3 points/SF but it's a moot point. 

I don't know that it is moot. I heard that the car will be re-teched at Road America before racing. I'm assuming that their yearly tech was revoked when the points were added Saturday night at Indy. 

If you have concerns on values or parts on that car, I would make sure your concerns are heard. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, red0 said:

I don't know that it is moot. I heard that the car will be re-teched at Road America before racing. I'm assuming that their yearly tech was revoked when the points were added Saturday night at Indy. 

If you have concerns on values or parts on that car, I would make sure your concerns are heard. 

Do you think something so blatant as this just slipped through the cracks like a non-OE radiator (are they running the stock radiator?) or non-OE engine/trans mounts (are they running OE engine/trans mounts?)? It's literally the most obvious thing on this car. And they got charged 45 points. 

In any case, the BCCR is very clear. It couldn't be any more clear.

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
1 minute ago, Snorman said:

Do you think something so blatant as this just slipped through the cracks like a non-OE radiator (are they running the stock radiator?) or non-OE engine/trans mounts (are they running OE engine/trans mounts?)? It's literally the most obvious thing on this car. And they got charged 45 points. 

In any case, the BCCR is very clear. It couldn't be any more clear.

I don't know what did or did not slip through any alleged cracks. If you have an inclusive list of items you are questioning such as engine/trans mounts, radiator, 60% rule, etc. please feel free to send it over and I will try and have those items looked at. 

20 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

except those are fender flares you add to the stock body.  the other car has a complete aftermarket body.

17 hours ago, Snorman said:

There is no way to get around it without violating that provision of the BCCR or them being given a pass. 

That is 100% NOT the "ORIGINAL body work and panels". It's not the "ORIGINAL body work and panels" underneath of it either. That is clearly an aftermarket Eckler (or similar) Turbo widebody kit. Same vents, same fender, door and quarter panel flare profiles. 

bgwgzb.jpg

Bg8Qpj.jpg

tZKCS0.jpg

my question is where does one even find one of those? I mean it isn't like you can order one. 

9 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

my question is where does one even find one of those? I mean it isn't like you can order one. 

Let's remember who we are talking about. That could have just been sitting around a shop or in a storage unit somewhere. In fact the car may have already been assembled and sitting and was a good candidate to turn into a race car.

24 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Let's remember who we are talking about. That could have just been sitting around a shop or in a storage unit somewhere. In fact the car may have already been assembled and sitting and was a good candidate to turn into a race car.

yeah I know nothing about the team... cool concept, but if people are getting jammed 48 points for a hood, than an entire body should cost too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiredBirds said:

yeah I know nothing about the team... cool concept, but if people are getting jammed 48 points for a hood, than an entire body should cost too.  

If it was legal....  which according to 9.5.2 (iirc) it is NOT.

• Like 2