Jump to content

Typical cost in points for fender flares?


turbogrill
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Members

Just find anything from the car you took off and re use it. The fender flare rule basically says that we should make our cars ugly to not take points. I think the only people that take points on fender flares are on the ones that have points to spare. I do not know of a single team that takes penalty laps on fender flares. I had nice looking $30 ebay ones before the rule and then had to take them off and bend up my fender that looks like dogcrap now. I know, I am bitter over it because I want a decent looking Champcar in my garage. Well, at least one as the old girl has seen better days, but she is still sexy as hell to me, that is love for you.

 

Can you tell how much I despise the fender flare rule. I think it is the most pointless rule we have and does not make any sense to me.  I do not know of a single team that has went to smaller tires because of it.  Bend the crap out of your metal and you are fine or re-purpose material and have an ugly ass car in most cases.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Just find anything from the car you took off and re use it. The fender flare rule basically says that we should make our cars ugly to not take points. I think the only people that take points on fender flares are on the ones that have points to spare. I do not know of a single team that takes penalty laps on fender flares. I had nice looking $30 ebay ones before the rule and then had to take them off and bend up my fender that looks like dogcrap now. I know, I am bitter over it because I want a decent looking Champcar in my garage. Well, at least one as the old girl has seen better days, but she is still sexy as hell to me, that is love for you.

 

Can you tell how much I despise the fender flare rule. I think it is the most pointless rule we have and does not make any sense to me.  I do not know of a single team that has went to smaller tires because of it.  Bend the crap out of your metal and you are fine or re-purpose material and have an ugly ass car in most cases.

 

Haha funny you say, I pulled/bent the fender like crazy, looks awful.

 

Your right, stupid to take points. I did reuse some door material, looks even more AWFUL.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

I do not know of a single team that has gone to smaller tires because of it.  Bend the crap out of your metal and you are fine or re-purpose material and have an ugly ass car in most cases.

I think I run the narrowest tires of any 'tier 1' e30, and that actually is in part because I don't want to bend my fenders way out and ugly-up the car. Would go to wider tires if I could. Teammates have pushed for wider tires but I fight 'em off. So that is sorta like going narrower because of fender rule.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
11 hours ago, enginerd said:

I think I run the narrowest tires of any 'tier 1' e30, and that actually is in part because I don't want to bend my fenders way out and ugly-up the car. Would go to wider tires if I could. Teammates have pushed for wider tires but I fight 'em off. So that is sorta like going narrower because of fender rule.

You are probably one of the only ones to keep skinny tires instead of bending a fender to get larger tires, but that does not surprise me with you.

 

I could keep the smaller tires also and go just as fast if not faster. The issue is I would burn up a set of tires every race instead of 2-3 races. Cost has me going wider to last longer on tires.

35 minutes ago, craig71188 said:

Hundreds if not thousands of dollars!  You get to spend more on wheels, more on expensive (bigger) tires, more or bearings or maintenance, and maybe even more for better hubs!!!.....and you get to have an uglier car (in most cases if you don't take points)!

Wheels are the same cost and last me years and years until incident. tires are like $10 more per tire, but last 2-3X more so that is a huge net gain and offsets all other costs, if there were anymore. I have the hubs and bearings figured out and we saw no difference in maintenance when we went larger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Can you tell how much I despise the fender flare rule. I think it is the most pointless rule we have and does not make any sense to me.  I do not know of a single team that has went to smaller tires because of it.  Bend the crap out of your metal and you are fine or re-purpose material and have an ugly ass car in most cases.

Dont forget about the 2.5pts per aftermarket vent rule as a close #2 on the most pointless rules we have...  Make your car ugly for 0pts or take points for decent looking vents with no benefit over what you can do to the sheet metal

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Alchemy Autosport said:

Dont forget about the 2.5pts per aftermarket vent rule as a close #2 on the most pointless rules we have...  Make your car ugly for 0pts or take points for decent looking vents with no benefit over what you can do to the sheet metal

Isn't this kind of the point of champcar?

 

Either spend the time and get creative, or use points for the easy way.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Isn't this kind of the point of champcar?

 

Either spend the time and get creative, or use points for the easy way.

 

What if you pay someone to get creative?

 

Would be hilarious to show up at a shop and ask them to build flares from a door. Would only work if they are chumpers :)

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
9 hours ago, mindspin311 said:

We paid 10pts on the Mini

Did you take a lap for them? Or had points to spare so you took them?

 

I still have not found a team that was at 500 points and said, yes, I will take 10 points for fender flares. What I see is teams that are at 500 points and repurposed materials or bend the heck out of their stock fenders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Did you take a lap for them? Or had points to spare so you took them?

 

I still have not found a team that was at 500 points and said, yes, I will take 10 points for fender flares. What I see is teams that are at 500 points and repurposed materials or bend the heck out of their stock fenders.

We have points to play with at the moment. They would definitely come off in lieu of some creative fabrication if needed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I paid points and bought some steel fenders off eBay.  They look okay and I had the points.

 

If I didn't, I would have rolled the crap and stretched my fenders. 

 

The look of the final product can be achieved very well with stock steel fenders if you take your time and know what you are doing.

 

I am not that patient....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I think these last post make the point perfectly. No one I know of is taking laps for fender flares and only take points when they have them to spare, if not they repurpose and fabricate, which can be ugly and sharp.

 

This proves the fender flare rule should be gone and we can all make our cars look nice. We are not lemons anymore and should not look like it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Naw.  Nobody is forcing anybody to make fender flares.

 

Also, I don't really care if my looks like crap.

 

If you don't want sharp stuff, clarify the rule so you can't have sharp stuff. 

 

Free fender flares is just more free stuff.

 

You realize you would be giving gbu back points, right?

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Naw.  Nobody is forcing anybody to make fender flares.

 

Also, I don't really care if my looks like crap.

 

If you don't want sharp stuff, clarify the rule so you can't have sharp stuff. 

 

Free fender flares is just more free stuff.

 

You realize you would be giving gbu back points, right?

I am not giving back points as no one is taking points that they did not have to spare anyway. I think we all need to stop with the free points all the time and look at the big picture of what should be points and what should not and by how much. Fender flares should be free as there is not point in not making them free as it is required rule to have. Other things I think should be more points than they are now as they really make a performance difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OMG, Troy, if you want tires bigger than your car, you have to add flares. If you have to add material to make flares, you have to take points. Tires bigger than your car are probably going to cost you points. It's algebra A=B B=C A=C. Not wanting to take laps on your 500 point car is not a justification for making something free!

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 minutes ago, tommytipover said:

OMG, Troy, if you want tires bigger than your car, you have to add flares. If you have to add material to make flares, you have to take points. Tires bigger than your car are probably going to cost you points. It's algebra A=B B=C A=C. Not wanting to take laps on your 500 point car is not a justification for making something free!

Tommy I think you missed the point of my previous posts.  People are putting wider tires on and not getting any laps for them. If they are at 500 points they repurpose materials. If under 500 and they have points to spare as not being used for anything else then people use them. No one takes laps now so the fender flare rule does nothing except make people repurpose materials or bend the heck out of their stock fenders. 

 

If people actually were taking the fender flare points and putting wide tires on and getting laps then the fender flare rule would make sense, but since no one is doing that then the fender flare rule does not make sense to me and why even both having it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...