Light Bars for Miata’s

7 minutes ago, Final Turn Motorsports said:

Careful with all those lights. Only allowed 4

That is legal.  Actually got a tech ruling in the knowledge base on the Diode Dynamic lights since we have gotten grief for the 12" bar, which has a separator and can look like two lights.  They agreed that the 12" is one unit and all that really matters is lumens

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, eyeballs19 said:

That is legal.  Actually got a tech ruling in the knowledge base on the Diode Dynamic lights since we have gotten grief for the 12" bar, which has a separator and can look like two lights.  They agreed that the 12" is one unit and all that really matters is lumens

That's a logical response from tech. 

In my opinion, the LED's are over rated.  They throw a ton of light, but they throw away most of it.  They don't direct it well so there is good illumination of things like the trees above.

We've been running the Optilux HID's for several years now.  They are far brighter than any halogen light that we had previously and much better directed than the LED's.  When we started using these it was in conjunction with our stock headlights.  I noticed that with the HID's you had a hard time telling if the OE lights were on high beam or low beam because the HID's were so bright.  Now we run a pair of HID's and one LED bar.

They used to make a 4" version which is better sized for the front of a Miata, but I'm not sure they still make it.

https://frsport.com/hella-h71020201-optilux-7-xenon-single-hid-off-road-driving-lamp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can vouch for the diode dynamics lightbars.   They are OMG awes9me compared to everything else I have driven with.

The optilux (what I have on my car) are also pretty good.

Cheap lights are cheap and crappy.  I don't think you can go wrong with the DD or optilux lights.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I can vouch for the diode dynamics lightbars.   They are OMG awes9me compared to everything else I have driven with.

+1 on the Diode Dynamics.  Best part is that you can actually aim them-- they shoot a rectangle of light instead of a circle.  Less glare, more light where you want it.  So much better than the lightbars that put 1/2 the light into the tops of the trees.  8000 lumens really isn't that much light on a race car IMHO so need the light to land in the right place.

19 hours ago, Alchemy Autosport said:

@Wink - home made front bash bar?  I love the integration of the lights as well!  exactly what I was thinking about doing.  I want to also use the bar to attached our air dam too!!

It's worked pretty well so far. We still dzus the air dam into the upper half of the bumper cover. It might me difficult to get the bar flush with the air dam, but you could add some tabs I guess. 

Pro Tip: for the windows for the lights, get a replacement grinding mask shield. Plenty pliable, able to be cut to fit, and shatter resistant 👍

• Thanks 1

I went with Measured.

The Raw value is a theoretical calculation of the lumen output and is used as a marketing gimmick. 

Measure is the actual lumen reading of the LED assembly.  This is a better value for comparing different LED bars as it takes into consideration electrical and optical losses.