G-body Fuel Cell Questions

AJJaxin

Hey Gang,

Trying to get a fuel cell ordered up this week.  In the Chevrolet G-body we are looking at a trunk floor mount, pushed forward up to the back seat firewall.  Would I be better to go in the stock location?

I am looking at Fuel Safe, they state "High strength, FIA-FT3 certified Enduro Cell® bladder", but is this an actual certification of the cell in total? On fittings, we will be running a mild SBC, is standard 8 AN (1/2") what I need?

Link to fuel cell.

Thanks for the help.

AJ

1/2 line would certainly do it!  That is a big fuel line.  

Depends on how much lower you plan to make but 1/2 will support a good bit of power!

Move the fuel cell as far forward and low as possible.  Not so low that it is the lowest thing.  Id suggest your diff should be the low point.

That link is not working for me right now, but I would suggest the box should say fia or sfi on the outside unless you want to pull the bladder out to get teched.  I would call or email and confirm.

That being said, I'm not sure you actually need an fia cell.  I thought that was only for cells that were inside the drivers area.

You have an 18 gallon stock capacity.  That means you can use 20 gallons with a fuel cell.  The fuel cell you are looking seems to have a 22 gallon option.  You would need to displace 2 gallons to be legal.  Fuel displacement stuff is NOT cheap.

Edited by wvumtnbkr

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Depends on how much lower you plan to make but 1/2 will support a good bit of power!

Move the fuel cell as far forward and low as possible.  Not so low that it is the lowest thing.  Id suggest your diff should be the low point.

That link is not working for me right now, but I would suggest the box should say fia or sfi on the outside unless you want to pull the bladder out to get teched.  I would call or email and confirm.

That being said, I'm not sure you actually need an fia cell.  I thought that was only for cells that were inside the drivers area.

You have an 18 gallon stock capacity.  That means you can use 20 gallons with a fuel cell.  The fuel cell you are looking seems to have a 22 gallon option.  You would need to displace 2 gallons to be legal.  Fuel displacement stuff is NOT cheap.

I thought they had to be both FIA/SFI safe? -8 is closer to 3/8's not 1/2". 1/2" would be overkill for a mild SBC. Make sure you have a decent return line and that it is vented well. 

4 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Will go with 20. There was some mention of a 19.7 gallon tank, but I believe that was the diesel wagon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shutupracing said:

9.10.2.3. All fuel cells must have FIA-FT3 (or higher) or SFI-28.1 certification

And frankly, why wouldn't you want a certified cell?

Thanks for the clarification.  Been awhile since I went through that part of the rulebook.