Revalve bilsteins vs Penske shocks

turbogrill

1 minute ago, LuckyKid said:

Based on spec miata peoples posts, it seems the Penske's maintain performance where Bilsteins drop off after a couple laps.  IDK if that is true.

So what is different about the Penske damper compared to bilstein? 
I’m sure that by now someone has cut both apart to see what’s going on in there. 

10 minutes ago, enginerd said:

So what is different about the Penske damper compared to bilstein? 
I’m sure that by now someone has cut both apart to see what’s going on in there. 

According to people on this forum the shock is straight of the F1 W10 chassis and are precision ground out of diamond and filled with unicorn blood.  I think the unicorn blood adds about 0.5G on the skid pad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

According to people on this forum the shock is straight of the F1 W10 chassis and are precision ground out of diamond and filled with unicorn blood.  I think the unicorn blood adds about 0.5G on the skid pad. 

Hopefully Riley doesn't come out with a shock.   I c ant imagine the backlash from that!

• Haha 1

Penske likely has a larger volume of fluid and a valve stack that designed specifically for racing.  Biltein makes a similair version but the penske unit for spec miata is not adjustable, which is not normal for racing.  There are several racing shocks out there that could be used since they are also not adjustable.  The real art is in the valving and mounting.  Not a simple undertaking.  Penske has done the hard work for the miata group. 

31 minutes ago, Wink said:

He's referring to use on an NC. We watched a Spec MX5 kick our ass this weekend at Harris Hill. 

Yes, for some reason Penske made a adjustable and non adjustable shock for spec mx5.

Not sure why you would pick the non adjustable if you are a spec mx5 racer.

Header, penskes, radiator, 17x9 or 17x10 if you want your car to look like poop.

5 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

??? we love our Bilsteins. They work great with our heavy f-body...even with factory suspension.  

How stiff are your springs? We are running a mega front sway but we still have a bit of roll, our car understeers like crazy.

I want to cut the springs or find a MOOG spring, but don't think the bilstein are up for a much stiffer spring.

10 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

How stiff are your springs? We are running a mega front sway but we still have a bit of roll, our car understeers like crazy.

I want to cut the springs or find a MOOG spring, but don't think the bilstein are up for a much stiffer spring.

Lift your rear end up, add front camber, smaller front swaybar, softer front springs, a touch of toe out up front, all those should help with understeer.

Edited by Final Turn Motorsports

3 minutes ago, Final Turn Motorsports said:

Lift your rear end up, add front camber, smaller front swaybar, softer front springs, a touch of toe out up front, all those should help with understeer.

It's the mega front swaybar but without it we have so much roll. I want stiffer springs and then I will go back to OEM sway

59 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

we run cut Moog springs all 4 corners, not sure what the part # is. We were using a larger rear sway bar (off a WS6 car) and found it didn't allow enough travel, went back to the stock L69 Trans-Am bar.