Rear view camera

What's your budget?

https://ruggedvid.com/remote-viewing-system/   *Disclosure: this is my company*

We use repackaged or reinforced production film on-camera monitors 400nit or better 3G-SDI along with our bullet cameras.  We used to be heavily into professional race video equipment before moving into rotorcraft, most monitors are "iffy" on quality.  Even the good ones we do some type of potting or reinforcement along with adding locking connectors.

Edited by LuckyKid

I use a set up that I pieced together using a rear view mirror from a Cadillac CT6, cable that I purchased from Gentex (PN 625-1343-000), and the camera came off of a Chevrolet Traverse (must be the rear view mirror camera too).  It has a very wide field of view and if you flip it up it turns into a regular mirror in case the screen fails. 

Mirror%202_zpsyzlyzeks.jpg

Camera%20Cable_zps8pe0bcxx.jpg

Camera_zpswjhee6eg.jpg

Mirror_zpsbcubpiv4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 9:14 AM, JustinHoMi said:

We’ve gone through a few rear view / backup cameras. Does anyone know of a higher quality camera that’ll work for more than a couple races?

And no, the $10k Bosch camera is not an option 😆

I've gone through the same issue with Walmart and amazon bargain units. We actually snagged a tri-camera setup from a garbage truck with a nice monitor that we're working on. I'll get you some more details on that. 

• Members

What rear and side view mirrors do you have? I have tried the camera options, and they can work, but I found that having a good convex rear mirror in the correct location was the key. We also added larger convex side mirrors and placed them so the view on the eyes overlaps and flows with the rear view mirror. We can see 360 around the car from the mirrors. The rear mirror is up high and the side mirrors are higher also so you can look at the rear view mirror and see the side mirror at the end of it so it kindoff looks like one mirror. You basically see the side mirror in your peripheral vision.

I found the distance with the cameras to be deceptive thinking they were farther away then they were and if a bit away.  The cars are small on the camera and it was hard to know they were back there. It could have been the systems we tried and size of the monitor as I have seen the really high end systems in IMSA look very nice. We just did not have that type of money and for $50 we have the 3 mirrors setup nicely.

I got so used to the good mirrors when I drove for Jerry I was a bit lost without it on the passenger side. Then at a race I installed the same side mirrors when he was not looking as I brought them myself with a hose clamp, alum bar and the mirror stuck to with gorilla tape. Worked well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 11:42 AM, MR2 Biohazard said:

What rear and side view mirrors do you have? I have tried the camera options, and they can work, but I found that having a good convex rear mirror in the correct location was the key. We also added larger convex side mirrors and placed them so the view on the eyes overlaps and flows with the rear view mirror. We can see 360 around the car from the mirrors. The rear mirror is up high and the side mirrors are higher also so you can look at the rear view mirror and see the side mirror at the end of it so it kindoff looks like one mirror. You basically see the side mirror in your peripheral vision.

Any chance you can post a pic of your setup?

• Members
11 hours ago, shanehutton said:

Any chance you can post a pic of your setup?

Yes, at some point. The car is still in the trailer on a time out for being a bad girl and failing the last race. She is having a long thinking session about her reason for being and what she is supposed to be doing on race day.

• Like 1

I removed the side view mirrors and added a full length Wink mirror, gives us almost a 180 degree view and no complaints from either of my rookie drivers, I personally love it, it's easy to tilt up or down to best suit the driver. I am adding the hatch back on it with a plexiglass window will see how that affects the view, but I suspect it will be fine. Nice not having speed brakes hanging off the side.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 8:18 AM, hcsi99 said:

I use a set up that I pieced together using a rear view mirror from a Cadillac CT6, cable that I purchased from Gentex (PN 625-1343-000), and the camera came off of a Chevrolet Traverse (must be the rear view mirror camera too).  It has a very wide field of view and if you flip it up it turns into a regular mirror in case the screen fails. 

That is a slick setup. I kinda want to do this setup in my Silverado now just for the heck of it. 

• Like 1