2020 Pittsburgh 8+7-hour results and images

At Pittrace this weekend we finally had the showdown between the IPF minibike and my electric ATV. Despite pulling 260 Amps at 55 Volts I got beat so bad that I brought shame to my family, shame to my race team, and have set back EVs another decade. 

image.png.26d8c7fa47c275e474cbf253517c9f99.png

image.png.5e55650c664ce2a74a6509b2ce6911a8.png

image.png.14ad1473e4841df27c603db75dad6e74.png
image.png.2fc322d041c345d85f2a68f65d8c9471.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
11 minutes ago, red0 said:

At Pittrace this weekend we finally had the showdown between the IPF minibike and my electric ATV. Despite pulling 260 Amps at 55 Volts I got beat so bad that I brought shame to my family, shame to my race team, and have set back EVs another decade. 

And video proof to further cement the embarrassment.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, red0 said:

Probably need a better driver on the quad. 

• Haha 1
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, red0 said:

Can we have a showdown at Road America?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Can we have a showdown at Road America?

Yes! We will need to add a cone to turn around and come back,  or a jump or something to spice it up. 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, red0 said:

Yes! We will need to add a cone to turn around and come back,  or a jump or something to spice it up. 

A cone to turn around would be fine with me right now.

4 hours ago, red0 said:

This was a super fun and I was astonished I beat the ATV so badly after riding it at Gingerman, also can't believe theres proof!

If anyone managed to get any in-car video of me jumping the shark on the back straight around 1:40-ish pm in the #310 Breaking Bad Camaro, post it up.

Completely on me as the passing car, no issues owning up to it. 3 wide was good until it wasn't, managed to not have any contact and not wad the car up but it was SUPER sketchy going into the right-hand kink (T16). Not sure if it was 3 off, 4 off, 10 off, but it was a big off at the fast end of the straight LOL. Kept er going like it never happened. YEET. 

Edited by pintodave

This was our first time to Pittrace.  We were disappointed to move our Mosport entry to this event....we were proven to be very wrong in that assessment..

What a facility and track!  Challenging course and a great facility around it.   The track has to be one of the better ones we've run at. Takes major commitment and awareness to click off a decent lap there, even without any traffic around.  I can say every lap was a blast and I hope we go back soon.

Many thanks to the Champcar staff and volunteers who make it all happen! 

• Like 6
6 hours ago, CoachMK21 said:

I shared some pictures I took on the ChampCar Garage facebook group,

Aww man, I wish I would have made the mental connection sooner that this was you. Nice to inadvertently meet you guys, I was running with Breaking Bad right next door to you and I know y'all know each other. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, pintodave said:

If anyone managed to get any in-car video of me going full retard on the back straight around 1:40-ish pm in the #310 Breaking Bad Camaro, post it up.

Completely on me as the passing car, no issues owning up to it. 3 wide was good until it wasn't, managed to not have any contact and not wad the car up but it was SUPER sketchy going into the right-hand kink (T16). Not sure if it was 3 off, 4 off, 10 off, but it was a big off at the fast end of the straight LOL. Kept er going like it never happened. YEET. 

We have it on video. I cringed as I saw what you were trying thinking this isn’t going to end well

• Like 1

Looking for video....

Mark here from Krueger Tuned Racing, the blue #940 Volvo with the LS.  We've been looking forward to racing at Pittsburgh for SO long.  Our team had rolled over our entry for 2-3 races, after blowing up our 4-cylinder turbo at PittRace in 2018 and going through a different LS motor before getting the current one set up.  Our team started in 2014 with a mixture of family members, my Uncle Walt, oldest brother Chuck, my cousin JC and myself (all Kruegers), mixed in with a few family friends over the years.  But this race was the first time we only had Kruegers racing.  Walt, Chuck and I were joined by my oldest son (20), Mike.  It was his first W2W race after autocrossing and doing some track stuff since he was 16.

The car was fairly fast and loads of fun to drive.  During the test session I race a 2:06 without pushing too hard, so we figured pretty close to 2 flat might be possible.  Our pit spot was 24, so we were pretty much near the back to start the race.  Chuck had moved up to 44th after 1 lap and steadily moved to 16th before he had an off on the final turn and collected a couple pounds of grass on the splitter and blocked the radiator vent.  This dropped us all the way back to 52nd.  He moved up an additional 20 places before he pit and Mike got in the car.  I'm sure he was pretty nervous and also went off on the final turn on his 2nd lap.  Into the pits to clean off the grill again and lost some more places.  Then he settled down into a rhythm and ran some consistent laps in the 2:08-2:12 range.  With all the cautions, he was able to run a 1 hour and 59 minutes before pitting at 1:44 pm.  Walt was next to get in the car and the plan was for him to drive 75-90 minutes to get us to the 3 pm time for me to get a full 2 hours.  Well, the car wouldn't turn over once he was ready to go.  Checked a few things and the voltage was showing at 6.5, so we figured the alternator died.  We got towed back to the pits and tried to jump it, but it wouldn't turn over enough to start.  At one point, I messed with the jumper cable and noticed it didn't have a good connection while wiggling it.  The terminal had a little bit of corrosion on it, so we quickly wire brushed it and put the jumper back on and it started right up.  We felt pretty dumb about that one.

Once Walt got back on track, he was consistent with his laps, getting down to a 2:14.2, pretty good for someone in his 70's.  He came to the pits at 3:22 after being out for 52 minutes.  I got in the car and it felt a little different than during the test day.  The brakes were a little spongy and I know I couldn't use the brake marks I had the previous day, nor what my brother was using.  I figured it was just the pads being worn.  I had some good battles out there, like with the #75 RX-7 as we went back and forth a couple times.  SO many Miatas all over the place, lol. 

Well, on my 14th lap, the thing no one ever wants to have happen, happened.  Heading toward 16, I lifted off the throttle around the solid white line and just past the apex the left front tire blew with a loud bang at 110 mph and I went straight toward the wall.  I remember thinking, "this is really not good - this is going to hurt."  Fortunately, the car rotated slightly and I made impact with the wall with the left rear of the car and it tank slapped and hit the wall with the front left before sliding to a stop in the grass.  I managed to slow the car enough so that my initial impact was only at 50 mph with 2.556 G's and the 2nd hit (34 mph) had 1.572 G's, all lasting exactly 1 second.  I was jarred around a little, but the only soreness was in my left lower neck are from the HANS device.  I lowered my net and radioed in to my brother, "I'm fine, but the car is not."  He didn't quite hear me, so asked me to repeat it.  I did, then he asked, "Can you drive it back to the pits?", to which I responded, "Negative." 

The PittRace crew was fabulous, helping us get the car directly from the flatbed into the trailer.  Loads of other drivers came over to check in and make sure I was okay and to check out the car.  It was nice to know people I don't even know cared enough to stop over - Thank you to everyone!  I spoke to 3 teams that I know were behind me and they didn't have in-car video and ours had stopped 2 laps prior to the crash.

On my YouTube page, linked below, I have video from each driver's "full" stint with separate video's for their fast lap. Let me know if you happen to have any video of the crash.

My fastest lap.

unnamed.jpg

Edited by CoachMK21
  • Sad 8
On 10/5/2020 at 10:03 PM, pintodave said:

If anyone managed to get any in-car video of me jumping the shark on the back straight around 1:40-ish pm in the #310 Breaking Bad Camaro, post it up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shutupracing said:

Wow these are excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Can we use these? Who do we give credit to?

Yes, you can use them for your own personal use. 
This album is a mix of qualities and sizes. Credit is simply Jeff and Kim. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1