03 Mustang - Want to eliminate key and PATS

Earl

I am tired of fighting with a computer and a spaghetti plate of wiring.  Can I disable the PATS, remove the steering wheel lock, then install a toggle switch for ignition and a starter push button to get my 03 Mustang running?  We have found a cheap replacement for the Mustang we lost last weekend at Pittsburgh, but it comes without a key. 

2 hours ago, Earl said:

I am tired of fighting with a computer and a spaghetti plate of wiring.  Can I disable the PATS, remove the steering wheel lock, then install a toggle switch for ignition and a starter push button to get my 03 Mustang running?  We have found a cheap replacement for the Mustang we lost last weekend at Pittsburgh, but it comes without a key. 

Call AAA or a locksmith they can make you a key. If you want to disable everything a simple Painless wire kit is the way to go.  We removed all of our factory harness, computer and all in our 88 Formula, it weighted at least 70lbs. Our engineer teammate made  harness out of the old wire similar to a painless kit. We still use the key but that just an anti-theft thing. It doesn't turn the motor, just allows you to start the car. My Drag car has the Painless harness. It is dummy proof, every wire is labeled. 

PATS is indeed heavily integrated.  The key, instrument cluster, and ECU all have to match and be present for the car to run.  

If your Mustang is a V8, this will certainly solve your problems: https://www.ampefi.com/product/ms3pro-plug-and-play-1999-2004-v8-mustang-gt/ 

Edited by kcbhiw
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wired up a 2004 Grand Marquis 4.6 L computer to a 2004 Lincoln Towne car motor and transmission installed in a 1953 F100 pickup. Pat's was a problem for sure it's not removable in those computers, he had a late 70's tilt and teloscoping Cadilac column, I installed a pats receiver under the dash with a key wire ties to it, I programmed the key to the computer and all was well, the next spring the guy who owned it had a friend help him start it reversed polarity while jumping it and fried the computer. He got a couple of junk yard computers and one was for a 2004 police interceptor it doesn't have Pats and that issue is no longer an issue! It was a long labor intensive install initially and finding all the main fuses he blew while trying to start it hooking up the battery wrong. But now he knows that it's not a positive ground system any more., Ya think with a 2004 motor alt. 12 volt battery. It also ran even better with the police computer! It was a fun challenge but hey, I am an ASE Master Technician so I had to take on the challenge. And again when he broke it. So I would suggest finding a police interceptor computer for your motor and year if you want a cheap fix with better performance.

IMG_20190531_090354014_HDR.jpg

• Like 2