How much for home made rear toe adjsutments?

wvumtnbkr

I'm gonna take my stock toe control links, cut them in half, and use wearable tube ends and a double adjusters to make my toe separately adjustable from camber.

How many points?

My thinking was basically 5 pts.  Just like homemade camber adjusters.

Somebody already made some and I'm stealing the idea.  Link below.

https://images.app.goo.gl/99VfDuVZmiZeKf9NA

28 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I'm gonna take my stock toe control links, cut them in half, and use wearable tube ends and a double adjusters to make my toe separately adjustable from camber.

How many points?

Where do you wear them, normally?

JK

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, morganf said:

Please tell me you emailed the tech desk this as well. otherwise you are going to get 5 people with 7 guess (tech desk will at least give you 1-2 definitive maybe, maybe not answers)

Naw.  I like to "feed" the forum sometimes too.

17 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Where do you wear them, normally?

JK

Gah!  Weldable.   I can't get my phone to accept that as a word....

9 minutes ago, karman1970 said:

Suspension component not on FPV list, 10 pts ea.

It's the stock suspension component.  Just modificated.

I find it hard to believe camber adjustment is 5pts per end of vehicle, but toe would be 20 pts...

3 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

How many points?

Can you link the stock piece(s)?

49 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

It's the stock suspension component.  Just modificated.

I find it hard to believe camber adjustment is 5pts per end of vehicle, but toe would be 20 pts...

One could argue modificated stuff is no longer stock.  Tech desk says "stock" = "OEM" = as-delivered from factory.  But the rule about 10 pts per piece says "OE", so what does that mean?

Or you could call it free, since you could duplicate it with threaded rod and some nuts.  Call them fasteners.  After all, if some idiot happens to cut your toe link in half with a chop saw, why would you get penalized for fastening it back together?

47 minutes ago, karman1970 said:

One could argue modificated stuff is no longer stock.  Tech desk says "stock" = "OEM" = as-delivered from factory.  But the rule about 10 pts per piece says "OE", so what does that mean?

Or you could call it free, since you could duplicate it with threaded rod and some nuts.  Call them fasteners.  After all, if some idiot happens to cut your toe link in half with a chop saw, why would you get penalized for fastening it back together?

Haha.

That's exactly what I'm doing.  Just welding some nuts into the tubes and a threaded rod.

Bottom one pictured is stock.

DSC04887.thumb.jpg.86284261ac80f0c0fea2dd0931faed29.jpg

Edited by wvumtnbkr

3 hours ago, karman1970 said:

"stock" = "OEM" = as-delivered from factory

Not true tech desk says you can sand, cut, grind, and weld on stock parts almost beyond recognition(with pictures) for free so that they are no where near as-delivered. Ie. You can elongate holes in suspension pieces and weld left over hood material on them all for free.

The only time stock/OEM means "as-delivered" is for camshafts and gas tanks. (So far)

Edited by morganf
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

I was thinking modified stock and added materials. If adding a nut and thread those could be considered fasteners and those are free. If homemade materials only? If purchased and fancy then points?

That's what I was thinking.  I can just purchase these for fairly cheap.  I'd rather not use as many points and just make them.

honestly if they are still using OEM end links, i'd call em free.  Hardware is free, all you are doing is adding hardware to the stock link.  I think this is EXACTLY what the series should be striving for.   If you used heim joints or aftermarket bar in the middle then i'd say you have to pay points for it.

its no different than adding a eccentric bolt to a set of struts.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

Hardware is free, all you are doing is adding hardware to the stock link.  I think this is EXACTLY what the series should be striving for.   I

I struggle little to understand this.

Option A : You spend 5 hours modify your OEM suspension, no points

Option B : You pay someone $600 to modify your OEM suspensio, no points

Option C : You buy the component for $150, 10 pts (or whatever)

If you do Option A you saved $150, great!

If you do Option B you saved 5hours.

If you are a poor sucker without any tools or skills you do Option C.

End result is the same. 

2 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

End result is the same. 

this is a builders series isn't it?

also buying a off the shelf part with heim joints or upgraded ends should be points.  hes taking the OEM part and modifying it, exactly what the spirit of this series is supposed to be about..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MoparBoyy said:

this is a builders series isn't it?

Well if this is still the case then I agree. Curious how much it's going to change if people buy a $200 camber plate vs build it them selves.

Another example:

Buy penske shocks for $1000, 40 pts
Buy penske shocks for $1000 and make them non adjustable, 20 pts

With making them non adjustable really didn't save any money, quite the opposite.

2 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Well if this is still the case then I agree. Curious how much it's going to change if people buy a $200 camber plate vs build it them selves.

Another example:

Buy penske shocks for $1000, 40 pts
Buy penske shocks for $1000 and make them non adjustable, 20 pts

With making them non adjustable really didn't save any money, quite the opposite.

replacement shocks are free.

coil overs are 40 points. 

Edited by MoparBoyy

Just now, MoparBoyy said:

coil overs are 40 points. 

Only if they are height adjustable:
"Adjustable spring perches, or any non-OE part or modification giving ride height adjustability 10-points per corner."

If I remove the sleeve it's just the springs that differs.

Just now, turbogrill said:

Only if they are height adjustable:
"Adjustable spring perches, or any non-OE part or modification giving ride height adjustability 10-points per corner."

If I remove the sleeve it's just the springs that differs.

you can't just 'remove the sleeve'   if its a coil over its 10 points, if its a OEM welded spring perch on the shock its free.

5 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

you can't just 'remove the sleeve'   if its a coil over its 10 points, if its a OEM welded spring perch on the shock its free.

That is not what the rules says right?

It says "adjustable spring perches".

If I cut out the part of the sleeve above and under the collar and weld the collar they are no longer adjustable and no longer have adjustable spring perches.

How can that not be 20pts? I think that is more clear than if it's 0pts,5pts,10pts to modify an existing suspension component to match an aftermarket component,

1 minute ago, turbogrill said:

That is not what the rules says right?

It says "adjustable spring perches".

If I cut out the part of the sleeve above and under the collar and weld the collar they are no longer adjustable and no longer have adjustable spring perches.

How can that not be 20pts? I think that is more clear than if it's 0pts,5pts,10pts to modify an existing suspension component to match an aftermarket component,

So then why don't you do it?   if someone is silly enough to take a set of coilovers and weld spring perches to them and think that in no way will that damage the internals of the shock, i say go for it.

5 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

So then why don't you do it?   if someone is silly enough to take a set of coilovers and weld spring perches to them and think that in no way will that damage the internals of the shock, i say go for it.

I am not going to, I would never modify a suspension component either. I prefer too have a professional do things related to suspension and brakes. I save my money on other parts.

I am just trying to understand what is points and not, I get so many surprises all the time. 

edit: sorry to hijack the thread.

Edited by turbogrill