Points for battery brackets?

Hi,

I a non-OEM bracket to hold my battery, are these points? Seems like lots of people relocate the battery without taking points for the battery box.

If not, why wouldn't they be? Alternator brackets seems to be points.

Rules doesn't mention it. (Reached out to techdesk but haven't get a response)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly, I take chances, do my own stunts, have a demo derby championship under my belt, drive in stock non prep enduros, do that crazy boat/trailer racing, have been seen running toward chaos/fire r

battery hold down is a safety issue and offers ZERO performance or realibity gain.   alternator and bracket provide more horsepower to engine and low risk of failure = points.   ho

If you get points for a battery mount at tech, then every single person in the series will be stunned.  Get a light weight battery, mount it safely in the back half of the car, and move on to worrying

Our OEM bracket and in fact the entire floor upon which the OEM battery was supposed to be supported was completely rusted out and supported with some carpet and an old license plate, so yeah, we had to relocate the battery bolt it down with some square tubing and threaded rod. It's in plain sight and tech never said a thing. Didn't even think about claiming it. 

We could probably debate points for relocation but I don't think anyone has ever been hit for it.

There's also a very strong argument that all of this is safety related and therefore free, and I think that's the way any existing or future official ruling has/will come down.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

This is a non thing, last thing anyone wants is a loose battery while crashing.

Someone complained about the fast corvette had an aftermarket alternator bracket, wouldn't that be the same thing?

5 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Someone complained about the fast corvette had an aftermarket alternator bracket, wouldn't that be the same thing?

I would think the battery hold down is a for sure safety item and should not be points. How many points for the cool suit ratchet strap/s?

On the GBU the alternator bracket is a sexy piece of billet alum milled with a CNC machine. I was told it was part of the free motorsports alternator.

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

I would think the battery hold down is a for sure safety item and should not be points. How many points for the cool suit ratchet strap/s?

On the GBU the alternator bracket is a sexy piece of billet alum milled with a CNC machine. I was told it was part of the free motorsports alternator.

Makes sense

(I absolutely don't won't to pay points for battery bracket. I am in the no points for fender flares gang)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

even though Tech Desk ruled that a racing alternator AND bracket are points... 

7 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

even though Tech Desk ruled that a racing alternator AND bracket are points... 

It's a little hard to know what's free and not.

One might think battery and alternator is the same.

14 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

It's a little hard to know what's free and not.

One might think battery and alternator is the same.

battery hold down is a safety issue and offers ZERO performance or realibity gain.

alternator and bracket provide more horsepower to engine and low risk of failure = points.

how is that hard?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

A lightweight battery is like 25lbs lighter, could argue that is a performance benefit.

WTF are you talking about now?  the battery is always been open, as is putting it anywhere you want in the car.  OEM battery brackets aren't good for racing anyways.   

if i took a dump before getting in the car, thats also a performance benefit.  should we start mandating driver weights?

• Like 2
Just now, MoparBoyy said:

WTF are you talking about now?  the battery is always been open, as is putting it anywhere you want in the car.  OEM battery brackets aren't good for racing anyways.   

if i took a dump before getting in the car, thats also a performance benefit.  should we start mandating driver weights?

Where does it say that in the rules?

Lightweight components are points, for instance I assume an aftermarket hood is points due to weight? Or is there some other reason?

6 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Lightweight components are points, for instance I assume an aftermarket hood is points due to weight? Or is there some other reason?

Face Palm GIF

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

There is no restriction on weight reduction. Points are for parts that are non-OE and offer a performance advantage. A battery is a replaceable OE item and the BCCR has very specific language about this. 

• 3.13. BATTERIES
    • 3.13.1. All batteries must be installed in a safe location. All batteries must be fully secured via proper, purpose-built metal battery brackets, battery frames, or sealed battery boxes.
    • 3.13.2. Positive (“hot”) terminals must be in a sealed battery box or covered with insulating material.
    • 3.13.3. All batteries located in the driver’s compartment of the car shall be enclosed in a plastic, aluminum, or metal box.
    • 3.13.4. Lithium-Ion (LiCoO2) and Lithium-Polymer batteries are NOT allowed. LiFePO4, gel and lead acid batteries are allowed.
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, MoparBoyy said:

Face Palm GIF

A bracket to fit an after market brake caliper is points, the brake caliper is not points

A bracket to fit an after market battery is not points, the battery is not points

Not sure I understand you frustration?

5 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

A bracket to fit an after market brake caliper is points, the brake caliper is not points

A bracket to fit an after market battery is not points, the battery is not points

Not sure I understand you frustration?

are you being serious?  like seriously.

if you dont understand the difference between brakes and batteries when it comes to racing.  please put down the wrenches and go back in the house.

@turbogrill needs to rulebook. then read it again

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Snorman said:

There is no restriction on weight reduction. Points are for parts that are non-OE and offer a performance advantage. A battery is a replaceable OE item and the BCCR has very specific language about this. 

• 3.13. BATTERIES
    • 3.13.1. All batteries must be installed in a safe location. All batteries must be fully secured via proper, purpose-built metal battery brackets, battery frames, or sealed battery boxes.
    • 3.13.2. Positive (“hot”) terminals must be in a sealed battery box or covered with insulating material.
    • 3.13.3. All batteries located in the driver’s compartment of the car shall be enclosed in a plastic, aluminum, or metal box.
    • 3.13.4. Lithium-Ion (LiCoO2) and Lithium-Polymer batteries are NOT allowed. LiFePO4, gel and lead acid batteries are allowed.

Thanks.

I think the problem I struggle with is what is a OE replacement and performance advantage. 
A 2 lbs battery that is a different size is clearly not an OE replacement, if you go to autozone and ask for a new battery it's not the battery they show.

Aluminum expansion tank is not an performance advantage but that is 5pts.

Cust to be clear, I am not trying to make batteries be points.

I am trying to avoid surprises at tech since I don't thinks it's crystal clear what is points or not. 

Just now, turbogrill said:

Thanks.

I think the problem I struggle with is what is a OE replacement and performance advantage. 
A 2 lbs battery that is a different size is clearly not an OE replacement, if you go to autozone and ask for a new battery it's not the battery they show.

I am trying to avoid surprises at tech since I don't thinks it's crystal clear what is points or not. 

If you get points for a battery mount at tech, then every single person in the series will be stunned.  Get a light weight battery, mount it safely in the back half of the car, and move on to worrying about other stuff.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, MoparBoyy said:

are you being serious?  like seriously.

if you dont understand the difference between brakes and batteries when it comes to racing.  please put down the wrenches and go back in the house.

@turbogrill needs to rulebook. then read it again

I am pointing out that brackets sometimes are points and sometimes not. Don't you agree that a 25pts lighter battery is a performance advantage and an increased cost?

Our antigravity battery weights like 2lbs, the stock one is super heavy. It's also more expensive than stock. Reason for starting this thread is that I got nervous that my bracket and fancy battery would be points all of a sudden.

6 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Thanks.

I think that there is also an obvious safety advantage to the lightweight batteries not only with respect to weight (and properly securing a 40# battery vs. a 10# battery), but the fact that a damaged lead acid battery is more volatile than, for instance, a gel cell battery. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1