Trailer mods

petawawarace

Since we are stuck up here for the winter, we are looking to get a rig that’s comfortable and suites for long trips to Champcar races.   So I’m looking for ideas.  We used to travel to races (oval) and just stay in tents.  Don’t want to do that anymore. 

We are going to buy a 20-24’ enclosed hauler. We want to add some beds (3) and some amenities. I don’t think I want to go so far as a toilet and holding tank, but atleast some water and sink. Maybe an outdoor shower??   

I can make just about anything, so I don’t need to be limited to bought items.  Anyone seen or have ideas for fold up beds? Things they’ve seen that were outside the box or worked really well?

16 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

Since we are stuck up here for the winter, we are looking to get a rig that’s comfortable and suites for long trips to Champcar races.   So I’m looking for ideas.  We used to travel to races (oval) and just stay in tents.  Don’t want to do that anymore. 

We are going to buy a 20-24’ enclosed hauler. We want to add some beds (3) and some amenities. I don’t think I want to go so far as a toilet and holding tank, but atleast some water and sink. Maybe an outdoor shower??   

I can make just about anything, so I don’t need to be limited to bought items.  Anyone seen or have ideas for fold up beds? Things they’ve seen that were outside the box or worked really well?

Wow, We can hardly even fit everything for the car in our 24 footer.

We rent an RV and use it to tow the trailer. Works great!

• Technical Advisory Committee

I tow with an RV. It was dirt cheap, $5400 with only 10,000 miles on it. It has a monster cummins generator, (2) AC/Heat units, a bathroom with toilet and sink, a microwave and refrigerator, etc. 

Most of the time I still get a hotel though.

zTMCIovpWVOA0xXy-NdBxbyprV5z5OjlsOp7KgKc4iyqeBLBEHFXXhSd0Vcvf4Adso3-GBb_arAbmg_8K5oqJrjH6rPqlUTymBJs4hN4umyhkbtwB17FmiPYFF09G8iOfns9hMYaoOIJ6TNFbUA1phnPRTM6wTgNz-KYB9NihuZQB7JG6WI1UwNGEYbRtIk-s66dYPv7mydqqDlUaz-0khBpXB_86qrZOdpD3sbZHyA7gEUSH95qDxYySkSyS1IXsQvrJ78GiARdG8wEcxZUZPhHeCz2XO8vKlSJa7WgsYh1wS9vd0DFr0LKf6FMhCEsQqZhT1TVTtEWYAzHSvB--Q5Q_W4GqugYPEVUPSnuBzWwvrPzNgItSVKZbzO_wgJDI2NBEJqYXhBU7XC88Gm4TigtPO2GywG50LUWoEZKd-aLeksD3MBHIF0KPvui-L4A10WGymt-UKSF1y775sqeHNDyIAP4cjedPHPBWhx_BrBmxIWorW5Q-zE-JJ6nna1AfdSMHwD4RX-jTOJiTQQ1ZtU_jMiJNVxGYLMcxhwd8jicOt1c0j4SzmbQJrgyZSyd83aqMX7Lty6sef_2MwI4GBmFw8h1dkE7aYyScv2Z_yDAaJi-u1cqmYJ5xkm_Y7vRR644eTuQZuPEqS17lV-2ePnp6EPUIxFrnL4u8UVWhXBzGSVA0LTJVgqP_yuxhA=w1218-h913-no?authuser=0

28 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

AC and come down and race in texas

1 hour ago, LuckyKid said:

Wow, We can hardly even fit everything for the car in our 24 footer.

We rent an RV and use it to tow the trailer. Works great!

Lol. The car and some tools/equipment would be outside the trailer while camping. 

We don’t want to get an RV and all the troubles associated with it. Maintenance, insurance, plates, etc etc etc.  And there are not many great places around here to rent RVs.  

1 minute ago, petawawarace said:

Lol. The car and some tools/equipment would be outside the trailer while camping. 

We don’t want to get an RV and all the troubles associated with it. Maintenance, insurance, plates, etc etc etc.  And there are not many great places around here to rent RVs.  

RVShare and Outdoorsy.  

No need to worry about maintenance, tires, brakes, generator, tow vehicle, plates, insurance, hotel ect.  Plus its a relaxing drive and people can nap on the long hauls.  Sleeps like 7-8 people (4-5 comfortably)

Its about $1200-$1600 for 3-4 day trips with towing.  Its worth avoiding all the other BS to me.

2 minutes ago, LuckyKid said:

RVShare and Outdoorsy.  

No need to worry about maintenance, tires, brakes, generator, tow vehicle, plates, insurance, hotel ect.  Plus its a relaxing drive and people can nap on the long hauls.  Sleeps like 7-8 people (4-5 comfortably)

Its about $1200-$1600 for 3-4 day trips with towing.  Its worth avoiding all the other BS to me.

Wow, at $16,000 a year I think I am OK with some BS. 

6 hours ago, red0 said:

Wow, at $16,000 a year I think I am OK with some BS. 

$1,600 an event sounds like a lot, but once you take out 2 or even 3 hotel rooms for 3 nights, that's more than cut in half.  Factor out maintainence, and tires and stuff, and even doing 10 events a year, it's not as big a bill as you make it out to be.  You also don't have to worry about storing it, cleaning it and all that.

6 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

RVShare and Outdoorsy.  

We would be 5-6 day trips. Plus we have 2 trucks that are plenty comfortable to drive and tow with. 
I have a 30’ travel trailer, but that means bringing 2 trucks and trailers.  We are planning on some 15-20hr (each way) trips. 
It’s my father and I, and anyone who wants to rent a seat from us that’ll be staying in the trailer.  It doesn’t need to be fancy.  We had a 38’ toy hauler years ago, and it’s great, but we don’t want a 1ton to tow it

• Members

I would suggest getting at least a 28' trailer. 24' can do, but it will get full really quick. I now have a 32' to fit two cars and even if I had only one car it is very nice to have the extra room. It drives just like the 28 or 24 and is easy to pull as the weight difference was very small. The cost was about the same also.

What I did was get some twin mattress and just some bungy straps to hold them on the wall when going to and from. I just pull them down and put them on the floor to sleep. It works out great and a good portion of tracks have showers at them. Hotel cost to just sleep at night seems to be a waste for me most of the time as I would rather save that money and have it to spend on another race entry to race another race.

Also, I am now getting a 110Volt split AC unit, cost like $450-500, that will cool and heat as needed. The heating is more important most of the time though and a space heater would be great. Barber was like 19F a few years ago and freezed us, lesson learned there.

• Like 2

Overlanding forums/groups have a lot of options for outdoor showers, sinks, ect that are very compact, easy to break down/setup. There used to be a few guys in NASA with their trailers setup with bunk beds that folded down from the sides, sink in front with the cabinets and outdoor style showers. Most of it was standard overlanding stuff so it can be done easily. I've been 31 days without a shower before in Afghanistan, but I wouldn't recommend that in the civilian world. LODI metalworks makes great Etrak accessories you could easily use to setup folding beds, ect. We used their adjustable cross bars with plywood on them to make storage shelves that sit above the car in the trailer, which could also double as a bed and is weight rated for like 400lbs or more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

$1,600 an event sounds like a lot, but once you take out 2 or even 3 hotel rooms for 3 nights, that's more than cut in half.  Factor out maintainence, and tires and stuff, and even doing 10 events a year, it's not as big a bill as you make it out to be.  You also don't have to worry about storing it, cleaning it and all that.

Yea, eliminating the hotels would offset a good bit of cost for sure. 

12 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

I would suggest getting at least a 28' trailer. 24' can do, but it will get full really quick. I now have a 32' to fit two cars and even if I had only one car it is very nice to have the extra room. It drives just like the 28 or 24 and is easy to pull as the weight difference was very small. The cost was about the same also.

What I did was get some twin mattress and just some bungy straps to hold them on the wall when going to and from. I just pull them down and put them on the floor to sleep. It works out great and a good portion of tracks have showers at them. Hotel cost to just sleep at night seems to be a waste for me most of the time as I would rather save that money and have it to spend on another race entry to race another race.

Also, I am now getting a 110Volt split AC unit, cost like $450-500, that will cool and heat as needed. The heating is more important most of the time though and a space heater would be great. Barber was like 19F a few years ago and freezed us, lesson learned there.

What type of ac unit ?  Do you have a link to it?  That sounds cheap.

Call me crazy, but You can find a 30-40ft vintage Chaparral All day on racing junk for 4-8 grand.  They are built like tanks and will outlive you.    I bought an 83 a couple years ago, no regrets. I tow it with my 83 chevy 454 w/ no trouble.  Most were built for drag racing, so they are a little skinnier than normal.  Our 87 t-bird fits snug but good.  If you race miata’s or mr2’s you can even haul 2!

F57AD763-82F5-41FC-ACAD-13CC6004B281.png

• Members
55 minutes ago, Lethal Cliff said:

What type of ac unit ?  Do you have a link to it?  That sounds cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/i/264665078638?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

If you google search " split ac unit 110v " you will find a lot of options. They even come charged with AC so just hook up and go.

• Like 1

I have a 24' + 3' V nose trailer. Tow it with whatever Enterprise has at the time. Move the car out and can easily fit 2 queen size air mattresses. Space heaters work well, and I have a 2/3 size fridge/freezer combo with an 80's microwave/cancer machine on top. Bunch of LED strip lights and a china freight generator work like a charm every weekend. I've found I need to be at the track too early for me to want to drive ~15 minutes from a hotel. 

• Like 1