5-gallon, 8-gallon, and 10-gallon dump cans. What's legal? What do I need to do a fuel stop? Why am I getting yelled at?

Bill Strong

• Administrators

Hunsaker-ballcock.jpg

Todays class is to explain to teams what's legal in 2020 for fueling your race cars at ChampCar events.

I have gone to almost every race over the past 3 years. For the most part we have seen you guys following the rules and showing up with 5-gallon dump cans. But this year has been odd. With everyone focused on old C3 race cars, the membership seems to have forgotten the basic rules of our series. 

Not 7-gallon, 8-gallon, or 10-gallon. But 5-gallons or less. You can fit what ever capacity you want in the 5-gallon, we don't care about that. But it must say 5-gallon capacity on the can.

It's like this. I point it out to teams on pit lane. The response is always, oh, we are just transferring them to the 5-gallon cans over there. Cool. 
Until I am at the other side of pit lane and I see the fuel guy come over the wall with a big ass can of fuel.

Guess what happens. You get to stop your fueling. You get to transfer your fuel into the smaller cans in your pitlane while your driver sits there cussing your name. 
Even if you are leading the race. You get to stop your fueling.

Don't have a ten pound fire bottle? Saw a guy jump over the wall with two five pound extinguishers in his hand. Even had a team try using these tiny bottles that you get at the parts store to protect your Honda Civic. Tiny things they were.
You don't have a ten pounder and guess what? You don't get to fuel. 
Lowes and Home Depot sell them. They are around $75 each. It's best to have two of them. One as a backup.
We will be walking pit lane every race, and looking to make certain that you have the proper gear in place. If that fire bottle gauge is in the red, or the wrong size, we wont let you fuel the car. We put the rules in place to help protect you and your team. 

And to the drip pans. You guys had this down for about a year. But now I am seeing pizza pans again. Nope.
Get a oil drain pan, cut the top off or buy one without a top, and use that. You can get fancy and weld up a steel or aluminum pan. But it needs to hold at least a gallon of fuel and have a minimum 3" lip on it.

You will also need some kitty liter, a broom, and dustpan. 

Below are Hunsaker dump cans that are too big for our series.

Hunsaker-8-gallon.jpg

Hunsaker-11-gallon.jpg

Don't know why anyone bothers with the little drip pans.  We bought a shallow concrete mixing pan years ago for $10 and it absolutely outclasses a traditional drain pan.  Shallow lip, easily trimable for fitting halfway under a low car, and a very large footprint so catching spills is easy.  I'd bet once full it would hold 5+ gallons.  We also lined the bottom with sorby pads to stop splash back.

Screenshot_20201008-200006.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SonsOfIrony said:

Don't know why anyone bothers with the little drip pans.  We bought a shallow concrete mixing pan years ago for $10 and it absolutely outclasses a traditional drain pan.  Shallow lip, easily trimable for fitting halfway under a low car, and a very large footprint so catching spills is easy.  I'd bet once full it would hold 5+ gallons.  We also lined the bottom with sorby pads to stop splash back.

Screenshot_20201008-200006.png

Same here, we never spill anything on the asphalt anymore.

• Like 2

• Administrators
5 hours ago, craig71188 said:

And remember to order early to get dry breaks for all your individual fuel jugs!!!

I see green font.
These are not "Required". They are just allowed for 2021.