Calling all hatchbacks with fuel cells ......

bjaspud

Calling all hatchbacks with fuel cells ..... would you please post a picture of your car's fuel cell enclosure?   I'm thinking about going with a fuel cell for next season and can't quite get my head around how to enclose the cell, and even more importantly, how to enclose the fuel fill tube.   Your pictures would be a huge help. Thanks.

• Administrators

18 hours ago, bjaspud said:

Calling all hatchbacks with fuel cells ..... would you please post a picture of your car's fuel cell enclosure?   I'm thinking about going with a fuel cell for next season and can't quite get my head around how to enclose the cell, and even more importantly, how to enclose the fuel fill tube.   Your pictures would be a huge help. Thanks.

Does my image make sense?

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
2 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Does my image make sense?

Fir that application it does. But many hatchbacks like the civic or focus have almost vertical rear hatches that aren’t at all like the picture. 

1986 mustang hatch with fuel cell under it. I made this two years ago in the field on a Friday pm at Harris Hill when this started getting enforced. Rushed around and got materials at Home Depot. Went racing Saturday morning. Jay has passed this on several occasions. Lid is held down with super magnets. If any doubts your design will pass take pictures and send it to Mike and Jay. They helped me so when I got there I had little to no issues at inspection last time I made changes to the car. Pictures are 2000 words per Jay. Jay is a great guy and gets a lot guff from others. He will help you pass and wants you to go racing but safely. 

20200923_190846.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pic of my FB Mazda RX7. I made a box of 1" square tube the cell sat in. The framework around the cell underneath attached to that. It went frame rail to frame rail more our of luck than anything else. Then 16Ga. sheet metal around that, tall enough to clear the fittings. Bulkhead fittings to get the lines out of the box through the floor. The top plates are 10 ga. aluminum. RivNuts to bolt it all together. Pull the two pins, flip the lid and you are dumping fuel. Tech at PittRace October liked it. Hope this helps

20201024_153123.jpg

Am I missing something or was there a requirement that if the bulkhead between the driver area and the fuel cell/tank was opened/removed/breached as part of the fueling, then the driver had to be out of the car during the fueling process?  I seem to remember that, but can't find it in the 2021 book, if it does exist in there somewhere it would be relevant to this type of build.