Brake booster, vacuum and pedal behavior

Hi,

I think something is wrong with the brake booster or brakes on my 1.6 Na Miata. 

With the car standing still, if I press the brakes and then blip the throttle the brake pedal pushes upwards.

I also sometimes lockup the brakes, I think it's when I heel toe. When blipping the throttle it seems like it brakes harder.

Should the amount of vacuum directly control the braking effort? That seems a bit strange, wouldn't it be somekind of regulator or something?

Do you have a check valve in the system?  If not, add one.

Also, there is a thing called a reaction disc that helps regulate the amount of brake boost by how hard you are pushing on the pedal.

My guess is you don't have a check valve.  The reaction disc is rarely an issue.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Do you have a check valve in the system?  If not, add one.

Also, there is a thing called a reaction disc that helps regulate the amount of brake boost by how hard you are pushing on the pedal.

My guess is you don't have a check valve.  The reaction disc is rarely an issue.

Thanks, will check next time.

I think they are supposed to have one but my car has had a long life as a race car in many different series. I just got it.

3 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

yeah your check valve is bad or it doesn't have one.

Imagine how it feels if your car operates on positive manifold pressure! (ask me how I know... that was scary!)

Hmm, positive manifold pressure? As in turbo?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Hmm, positive manifold pressure? As in turbo?

That's how I learned about check valves!

A turbo swapped rx7 into turn 4 or 5 or whatever it is called at barber (the left hander).  No brake boost.  Sweet...

41 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

That's how I learned about check valves!

A turbo swapped rx7 into turn 4 or 5 or whatever it is called at barber (the left hander).  No brake boost.  Sweet...

Trust your leg muscles?