New rules are out...

5 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

OE = manufacturer of the car.

OEM = aftermarket parts made to the specs of the OE.

Doesn't oem literally mean original equipment manufacturer?

From wikipedia...

When referring to auto parts, OEM refers to the manufacturer of the original equipment, that is, the parts assembled and installed during the construction of a new vehicle. 

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 2

• Administrators

OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer. OE stands for original equipment. OE parts are the components of the vehicle as it's made in the factory – all of the original parts that the car was first built with. ... OEM parts are created for specific makes and models, and approved by the automaker, to fit in the car.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

On the radiator rule.

What if O'Riley, Autozone, Pepboys and NAPA do not have a radiator for the car as the car is so old there are no replacement ones. Then what? Can we use OEM at that point? 

What if the OEM does not sell them anymore and part not available?

What do we do then when the only replacement option is aftermarket and aluminum?

The radiator rule is a bit weird to me.  Why is it 30 points?  It’s more than a diff swap ?  6 times what fancy hubs for a Miata are that  cost like a gillion bucks each.  Why are we still worried about running dirt cheap radiators?  The perceptions of low cost left the house long ago.  It just seems out of synch, maybe out dated?   

• Like 3

• ChampCar Staff
1 minute ago, JDChristianson said:

The radiator rule is a bit weird to me.  Why is it 30 points?  It’s more than a diff swap ?  6 times what fancy hubs for a Miata are that  cost like a gillion bucks each.  Why are we still worried about running dirt cheap radiators?  The perceptions of low cost left the house long ago.  It just seems out of synch, maybe out dated?   

I wonder where the 30 points came from. Why? I would think leave it at 10 points like it was if above and then people would keep the same points they have now if needed.

The rule was to keep costs down if a replacement rad is $87 off ebay vs $440 stock and both radiators are the same size and same cooling capacity. That is how the petition was written.

45 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer. OE stands for original equipment. OE parts are the components of the vehicle as it's made in the factory – all of the original parts that the car was first built with. ... OEM parts are created for specific makes and models, and approved by the automaker, to fit in the car.

Okay, so how does this now apply to the radiator rule?

It seems that we need to use OE pricing in one part of the rulebook and flaps in another...

image.png.446e66ab38a7355fbf06e06f5efa3402.png

Here OE is defined as stock in the Redline version. So to me if we base it off of OE pricing that would be the stock pricing from the dealer not an aftermarket non stock version.

So a radiator that is > Dealer cost would be 30 no matter what its made of but if its less than its free.

2 hours ago, MichaelPal said:

Re: 30pt radiators. 

Im having a hard time understanding what this rule is trying to accomplish. 

A few free items were just added that have a more significant impact on overall pace, and the direction is to clamp down on engine cooling? Really? 🤨

I saw it as the opposite.  Instead of 10 pts for an aluminum rad, they are now free (As long as your stock radiator is 100$ or more)

• Like 2

Another question I had was over this section in the "Other equipment that doesnt count towards total point value"

image.png.ed60e888a69ea114408743cb05ba98eb.png

Reads to me you can replace the ECU with anything up to a Motec for free. Does this include MSD boxes?

Because this makes it feel like an MSD box would be 20 points which seems silly when you can go full aftermarket ecu on a newer car for 0 points
image.png.fcd7673c2da3a093805cfdf4f4e83b69.png

Edited by YoKramer

Regarding fender flares, If I used repurposed material its free as long as I have documented the process?  

4.3.2. Materials from your vehicle are permitted to be repurposed into other items for zero points, provided teams retain documented evidence of the process.

4.7.1.1. While tire size is open, tires may not extend beyond the cover of the fenders from the 10 to 2 o’clock positions. Fenders can be stretched/rolled to cover wider tires and flares can even be made, however any added materials used to enlarge the fenders will be charged at the material rate in 4.3.2.

12 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

But don't you need to find a retail chain store to justify the cheap ebay one? What if you can not find one?

If you show it's an <$99 ebay radiator nobody will bat an eye, nobody will care, nobody will protest you, no protest would be upheld. So what does it matter?

If you have an $799 C&R racing radiator and say "but the dealer charges $829" people will be more bothered.

There are special cases and there are "special" cases.

Edited by morganf
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Good point. But if someone shows up with a homemade system they built for $500 that actually works then I think it's in the spirit of the rules.

I think it's nonsense but it does go with the chumpcar spirit.

I think no wings & splitters is more Chumpy

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lethal Cliff said:

It is more Chumpy

That is why the series rebranded to CHAMPCAR!

I'm not saying we need to go back to ChumpCar but a small step back would help with the expenses and it would raise up the Fun Meter..............

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, YoKramer said:

Another question I had was over this section in the "Other equipment that doesnt count towards total point value"

Reads to me you can replace the ECU with anything up to a Motec for free. Does this include MSD boxes?

Because this makes it feel like an MSD box would be 20 points which seems silly when you can go full aftermarket ecu on a newer car for 0 points

Speaking as a competitor, what I have observed is this:

If your original ECU controlled ignition, you can switch to a new ECU for free and it will control ignition.  The remainder of the system stays stock though, whatever that consists of (coil pack(s), coil, igniter, etc)

Switching from a coil to coil on plug would invoke the 20 points for aftermarket ignition system.

If you go from a distributor to a msd box, you are upgrading the ignition system so thats 20 points.  You can switch from carb to EFI if you wish, and the ECU part of that conversion would be free, but the mechanical hardware parts would be points (intake, throttle body, etc whatever is needed)

Thats not an official answer, but I suspect its pretty close to what you would get based on what I have seen at the track

• Like 4

1 hour ago, YoKramer said:

Yep, you read it right.

This rule hasn't really changed.  It was just clarified.  

54 minutes ago, hcsi99 said:

Regarding fender flares, If I used repurposed material its free as long as I have documented the process?  

4.3.2. Materials from your vehicle are permitted to be repurposed into other items for zero points, provided teams retain documented evidence of the process.

4.7.1.1. While tire size is open, tires may not extend beyond the cover of the fenders from the 10 to 2 o’clock positions. Fenders can be stretched/rolled to cover wider tires and flares can even be made, however any added materials used to enlarge the fenders will be charged at the material rate in 4.3.2.

Yep.  You can repurpose anything to anything is basically what it comes down to if you "show your homework".

10 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Yep.  You can repurpose anything to anything is basically what it comes down to if you "show your homework".

Why haven't I seen this being used insanely? Seems like there are many people on this forum that could build lots of go-fast-parts for free?

Seems like a decent fabricator with plenty of time could go bananas.

(I struggle with repurpose fender flares, so I am not that person). 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, turbogrill said:

Why haven't I seen this being used insanely? Seems like there are many people on this forum that could build lots of go-fast-parts for free?

One of the best is Parts Badger.
They document EVERYTHING being reused on the car. 

6 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Good thing I kept the heater motor so I can build an electric supercharger for free to go along with the active aero from the pop-up headlight doors and active weight jackers from the power seat mechanisms.

Oh, and the now-flat floor pan that I removed and English wheeled after adding more roll cage bars, seat frame and fuel cell structure in the middle to support/strengthen the car now that the floor is just there for aero. Goes well with the tubular front subframe. 

A good fabricator/shop still has lots of room to build a race car that would cost a chequebook racer a lot of money to keep up with. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
  • Administrators
1 minute ago, mender said:

Good thing I kept the heater motor so I can build an electric supercharger for free to go along with the active aero from the pop-up headlight doors and active weight jackers from the power seat mechanisms.

Oh, and the now-flat floor pan that I removed and English wheeled after adding more roll cage bars, seat frame and fuel cell structure in the middle to support/strengthen the car now that the floor is just there for aero. Goes well with the tubular front subframe. 

First thing you need to do is reuse some of that money you have and become a member, then get back to visiting us at some ChampCar races. That would be a very good start.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3