Dry break fuel systems now permitted

So I had forgotten this petition, when I saw that in the redline rules update I thought I would check on a few systems.  Holy sheet, that stuff is expensive.  Don't think I'll be doing a dry break anytime soon unless that unknown rich uncle dies and leaves me a few mil.  Anybody else checked this stuff out yet?

• Like 1

When I Tested in our AER, Our Dump cans with 2 3/4 inch nozzles were faster as the Dry Break was a bigger restriction and It take some time to "line it up" 

For Champ the time doesnt matter as much but in AER when you try to put in 40 ish gallons in 3 Minutes it does. 

22 minutes ago, the5 said:

When I Tested in our AER, Our Dump cans with 2 3/4 inch nozzles were faster as the Dry Break was a bigger restriction and It take some time to "line it up" 

For Champ the time doesnt matter as much but in AER when you try to put in 40 ish gallons in 3 Minutes it does. 

What brand are you using?

I still haven't figured this one out.  5 gallon dump can x3 (or 4) probes and no real speed advantage (that I have seen/heard yet).  "If" we were doing a fuel hose from an overhead rig, or larger dump cans...then maybe.  I still have a couple probes and receptacles (and an 11 gallon dump can) stashed away just in case...

The original intent that Rich petitioned 2 years ago was that it would allow teams that already use dry-breaks in other series to not have to change their fuel systems to race in CC. Also they can be safer. Speed was not a factor in the petition.

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, jakks said:

The original intent that Rich petitioned 2 years ago was that it would allow teams that already use dry-breaks in other series to not have to change their fuel systems to race in CC. Also they can be safer. Speed was not a factor in the petition.

Exactly

On 10/18/2020 at 5:39 PM, jakks said:

I assumed this too. 

We looked into them a decade ago and went and bought a couple of set of tires instead.  They are also a monumental pain in the ass for re-filling the jugs, you have to disassemble the head to fill the jug.  And then transfer to another jug if you have another car that isn't set up with them.

We use the Hunsakers and at a race this past summer the fuel dumped into our car so fast that Jay just stood there and shook his head.  All he said was "you guys have balls".    I took it as a compliment.

LOL @ no advantage.     If you fill quicker you have more time to work on your car during the 5 min.    Wanna change more tires?  Now you have more time.    Wanna change pads?  Now you have more time.   I don't care about the change, but lets be honest about what it allows.  

Edited by Snake
4 minutes ago, tommytipover said:

No, I think it was mentioned above. The Dry Breaks actually cause more restriction, and slow the re-fueling. A Hunsaker with the biggest nozzle you can cram into your filler neck is still the way to go. If someone is buying 3 or 4, 5? male probes to put on their Hunsakers, they are just showing off.

If a dry brake is slowing you down fueling you're doing it wrong.   

1 hour ago, Snake said:

If a dry brake is slowing you down fueling you're doing it wrong.   

Our 2 3/4 open unrestricted fuel Nozzle fills faster than dry breaks, tested to be about 3 seconds faster at 1/20th the cost. 

Add that to the time it takes to "line it up" with the dry break, an open nozzle is faster but some fuel spillage may be involved. 

Here is video of our stop below, you could see how much slower the dry break would make It. 

Edited by the5
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, the5 said:

Our 2 3/4 open unrestricted fuel Nozzle fills faster than dry breaks, tested to be about 3 seconds faster at 1/20th the cost. 

Add that to the time it takes to "line it up" with the dry break, an open nozzle is faster but some fuel spillage may be involved. 

Here is video of our stop below, you could see how much slower the dry break would make It. 

WOW, that is fast. Under 7 seconds nozzle in to nozzle out. 

2 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

WOW, that is fast. Under 7 seconds nozzle in to nozzle out. 

When you have 35+ Gallons to dump in 3 Mins from Pit in to Pit out it has to be. 

16 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

That video above is kinda slow. We have seen faster. Nine-Four Motorsports is one of the fastest we have seen. They have worked their venting to do the job.

Id like to see video that they can be faster. For Gravity feed I dont think you cam get much faster. 

In terms of venting, did a little experiment with a hunsaker. This is the 5gallon hunsaker dumped on the ground with water:

15mm outlet, 6mm vent: 32s

15mm outlet, 35mm vent: 30s

32mm outlet, 6mm vent: 12s

32mm outlet, 35mm vent: 7s

edit: dumping 4 gallons

Edited by turbogrill