2020 - AMP Race Results, Pictures, Videos

We, in the 594 Miata, had fun while the car worked.  Sad we couldn't fix it for Sunday. 

I am only aware of one metal to metal with our car on Saturday.  @31:40

I already apologized to the Stratus: I was the passing car & contact was made so my fault.

Thank you everyone for the fun weekend.

1 hour ago, farran05 said:

Anyone else not able to get lap times out of Speedhive for this race?

Unfortunately, our laptop that runs the race is packed up in the Champulance in North Carolina and Chris is in Florida. 
I will contact them just in case Chris has the data locally. But if not, we will need to sort it out at Sebring. Sorry.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Unfortunately, our laptop that runs the race is packed up in the Champulance in North Carolina and Chris is in Florida. 
I will contact them just in case Chris has the data locally. But if not, we will need to sort it out at Sebring. Sorry.

Fair enough. Thanks Bill. 

6 hours ago, farran05 said:

Anyone else not able to get lap times out of Speedhive for this race?

Something is goofy with Speedhive.  The data is there.  I got it to show all laps for a car and then it failed the next time.  Seems hit or miss.

901 Motorsport brought #901 (red and white e30) and #903 (pink, white, black, green, rust e30) to AMP.  The grand plan was to test all sorts of stuff on Friday, really dial things in at a track that suits our cars.  Well, nope.  We spent all of Friday trying to get the cars quiet enough to race, welding on all the mufflers that could be found in Dawsonville, GA.  Subjectively our cars were quieter than most and we have never had sound issues, but maybe there was something about how the downturns reflected off the track?  Felt like voodoo, but eventually we found a combo that got them quiet enough.  Huge thanks to the AMP folks for letting us work on it rather than shutting us down. 

Saturday started damp.  That was good for us. The cars are balanced and we have some drivers that like to slide around.  We started near the back but picked our way through to get 903 into the lead, with 901 close behind.  Over the day we stayed near the front, had fun battles for position since the top cars were all within a second of each other for FTD.  Zero full course yellows, lots of courteous driving.  But it wasn’t a perfect day for us;  903 was in 2nd with an hour to go but punctured—> blowout in the 5th gear kink.  Yikes!  Limped it around to the pit but dropped to 5th.  901 got a PUY penalty (we deserved it but was an easy one to miss) and finished 3rd, maybe five seconds back from 2nd place.  So close… reminder that it is hard to win these races.  Congrats to NLS and Leviathan for great runs.  

It poured all night so Sunday was even wetter to start.  So we were optimistic—  if we could just run a clean race we had a real chance.  At race start 903 was hooked up and was soon in the lead. 901 was close behind.  That would be short-lived as 903 developed a vibration that got ugly fast, ending with us in the grass with 3 of 4 broken studs (many thanks to the crew for getting her back out there, laps down but good as new).  901 soon after took the lead and then spent most of the day up front.  The team tried to balance pace with caution, holding our breath until the fuel stops cycled, knowing a late full course yellow would change the game.  But we had a perfect race and 901 came across the line 2 laps up.  WE WON!  

Huge thanks to all who raced clean and hard all weekend— 15 hours of racing and 1 full course caution!  And thanks to ChampCar for another fun weekend. 1451850120_DSC045651.thumb.jpg.ba7df9a605ecbe4826c746ff8140b60c.jpg

9E23A1F5-875C-4E47-99BC-992955138948_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.1dd0992aec432f6391b19d6ca0cad95e.jpeg
  • Like 6

I’ve starting to get our videos posted. They are kind of boring. The camera in 903 wasn’t running (we forgot to bring it). It would have been awesome to see the results of the tire blow out at the 100 mph right hander but.......

Edited by frankrehnelt
  • Like 2
35 minutes ago, frankrehnelt said:

I’ve starting to get our videos posted. They are kind of boring. The camera in 903 wasn’t running (we forgot to bring it). It would have been awesome to see the results of the tire blow out at the 100 mph right hander but.......

Watching the driver re-enter the track the way he did after his off was pretty scary since he was facing towards 16 and came all the way across the track to get back on. He could have reversed and then entered much safer. That was extremely close to 5 cars piling up right after he got back on track and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a re-entry on a blind corner like that. 

Maybe just have a talking to to the driver if you get a chance. 

Y’all were great to race with and had some serious pace both days. 

21 minutes ago, cowboys647 said:Maybe just have a talking to to the driver if you get a chance. 

Will do. Sorry. He was very excited and probably not thinking straight. I should have radioed for him to calm down before he reentered. He was wearing a heart rate monitor. I’ll see if I can find the graph and post it. 

• Thanks 1

NLS Racing made our first trip to AMP having never laid eyes on the track before. But that wasn't gonna stop us from giving it our best shot. Practice/test day on Friday went flawlessly as we all got familiar with the track. Wrapped it up by lunch as to not use up the car before the race even began. Race day Saturday began with threats of rain all day that never really materialized. We started the race near the back of the field as it seems we always do. Track was wet but little to no rain. Our first driver Dan Koehler did an excellent job charging thru the field and set 2nd fastest time of the weekend  during his first stint. Pit stop at 2 hours and Corey Danley hopped in. He continued our progress forward and took the lead, swapping back and forth with the 901 Motorsports for a few laps. Finally pulled away and we never looked back. Ran in 1st place from the 2.5hr mark to the checkered flag. Amazing!!! Our second win of the year. Only down side to that was that we had to start laps down on Sunday. Small price to pay for a victory. 
Day 2 began much wetter and we made the call to run our newly purchased rain tires. Wrong call, as our first driver Cory Brown struggled to find grip. So we short pitted at the 1hr mark, stuck on our race tires and sent Jeremy Boyce out. What an improvement with the race tires on. Our pace was on par with the leaders but had a long way to go to get back to the front. We pressed on, logging laps, knowing the race would come to us, as we were now off sequence from the leaders. 2 more flawless pitstops and we found our way all the back up to 5th position by the end of the race. With the cards stacked against us on Sunday, we were more than happy to bring it home in 5th and go see Ray Franck in impound for the second straight day. What more can we say, perhaps our best weekend ever!!! Once again, thanks to Champcar for allowing us to fuel our racing passion, thanks to all the family, friends, safety workers, and volunteers that make this possible. And a special shout out to Ron and Lane at Discovery Parts for all the help, pizza and beer. You guys rock!
One last note, we double stinted our drivers for each day...never again. AMP is tight and twisty and we just about had to be carried out of the car after each of ours second stint. Did I mention we also have no power steering? So much pain, but worth it.

Be back soon at VIR North Course.

checkers.jpg

win.jpg

Edited by bigyellow
photos
  • Like 2
Castrol Prefect Racing Report - THE CHAOS WEEKEND

Team artist dressed up the side skirts prior to this weekend.  Man, did she ever get it right.

PXL_20201014_211625765.MPsma.jpg.cf6a414557c865916bde0630f4e3317f.jpg

PXL_20201023_115246278sma.jpg.405ff00cdfa1bd29b20d151eeda6c6a4.jpg

Practice Day:  Car shows up ready to race without any last minute buttoning up to do so we can relax and put in a couple laps and go to bed rested.  In less than an hour of practice time, the driveshaft coupler is ripped apart.  At least we got to test the pit cart vs the race car on track before that happened which was pretty fun.

Couple hours spent getting parts and everything fixed up.  Diff bushings got destroyed with the mess so we make new ones out of window sealant and call it a night.

Saturday:  Chaos continues.  2 flat tires in the opening stint while leading the race.  Manage fastest lap of the weekend after the tires are replaced and the track starts to dry. Middle stint is uneventful by some miracle.  But by the third stint, we're back at it with the ground wire to the fuel pump shearing off.  Good thing we run a spare pump...  Bad thing they share a ground!  Lesson learned, get it rewired, and put in a couple practice laps for sunday.

Sunday:  Morning drizzle means it's going to be a good day for us as we have one of the stronger cars in the rain (ABS ftw).  Immediately there's a problem with the car way down on power.  The rain that's supposed to help us has also gotten into the spark plug holes so multiple pit stops are made to try to dry it out.  In the end, we get it running on 5 cylinders for the first stint.  Slightly less power actually helps driving in the rain and an awesome race with 901 ensues. They called their videos boring..disagree.

But the weekend continues and this time the mayhem works to our benefit with the SC drying itself out after a few hours and the 6th cylinder firing again.  So we manage to set another purple time on Sunday, but many laps down unfortunately.  An uneventful third stint should have been an omen that we need to pack it up, so when we went out for the fourth stint, the motor mounts broke just to let us know that was enough.

Overall: 

CHAOS wow

PXL_20201023_115246278sma.jpg.405ff00cdfa1bd29b20d151eeda6c6a4.jpg
Edited by Prefect Racing
  • Like 4

I also thought it was kinda funny how 901 Motorsports and us each managed to photo bomb each other's checkered flag pics. Congrats to you guys for the win, and everybody else for putting on a great, clean race. Only 1 FCY all weekend.

12 hours ago, frankrehnelt said:

We were right behind you when the tire blew.  We have great video of it.  We watched it Saturday night.  We should have up on youtube this week.

• Like 1

Of all the time on course, we got exactly one video.  That said, here's our first session on Saturday taking the green flag in wet to drying conditions.  We had hoped for a much better finish for the weekend, but rear brake pad issues kept us way out of the top.  Regardless, we had a great weekend.  Congrats to the winners and everyone else on the podium!

ta2.jpg

Around 53:00 in the video. Overall the AMP track workers were great, multiple hot pulls pulled off without a hitch. I think I could have slowed more to assess the situation a little better but the blocking truck wasn’t even moving and the towing truck shot across the track. All ended well just a dirty pair of boxers😆

• Like 1
1 hour ago, krackerx said:

Around 53:00 in the video. Overall the AMP track workers were great, multiple hot pulls pulled off without a hitch. I think I could have slowed more to assess the situation a little better but the blocking truck wasn’t even moving and the towing truck shot across the track. All ended well just a dirty pair of boxers😆

I was behind you for that I believe. I remember going “WTF just happened here?”

This is the 901 tire failure.   Sorry about the video. I'm still learning how to internet.

incident.  Sorry about the video. I'm still learning how to internet.

Edited by Lethal Cliff
  • Like 1