Jump to content

2020 - Frozen Rotors Winter Classic at Road America


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

IWe unloaded with the goal to score a top 10 maybe a class win each day. Friday was gross like everyone knows. We spend the day figuring out how to keep our window from fogging, logged some laps. Changed brakes and called it a night.

 

Saturday we started back half of the pack. I took the green and worked through the field up to top 10. I had some pucker 10 moments. One with the corvette oiling down the brake zone and middle of turn 5. Had a fantastic battle with Visceral was able to set our fastest lap ever while getting a good pull down the straights off of that porsche. Good clean racing before the end of my stint that was a blast. Mike ran 2nd, Matt 3rd and Andy 4th stints everyone was uneventful and clean. Good battles with cars throughout and they brought the car home to a P5 and class win Saturday.

 

We were struggling with fuel consumption so going into Sunday we knew we needed to run 2:54.xx laps to make fuel or go full send and run sub 2:52.xx and commit to a 4 stop strat. We knew we would struggle to maintain a 2:52 since that was most of the teams quick laps so we went with a 2:54 time and try to conserve the car.

 

We were set to start from the front half of the pack Sunday when Matt calls in he has oil smoke in the car BAD. We had to bring him in on pace laps to access. When he came in we found the Dipstick was not seated....that was me all me. I checked the oil before the car went out and never pushed it all the way back in. So the Dipstick forgot the Dipstick rookie mistake that cost us a top 30 starting spot back to taking the green in 72 shotgun on the field.

 

Matt took the 1st stint and did a great job, we had 1 minor off in the bend and 1 hardcore code brown in turn 1 when a car came out of the pits with fuel spilling out of it. Matt hit the fuel slick at the apex of turn 1 and shot the car out onto the runoff. He was able to bring it back onto the track before the grass but it was not cool. Mike took 2nd stint and logged consistent laps for 2 hours using all bout a few ounces of fuel. Andy takes 3rd stint and ran perhaps his best stint ever in the car.  Running 4th gear for the whole track he was able to crank great times. this was awesome because we got great data on his inputs to allow the rest of us to try and improve upon what we are doing. Towards the end of his stint we notice Oil pressure dropping in left handers pretty hard, down well below 20psi. Andy took it very easy last 20 minutes and brings the car into the pits in the top 5 again using all but a few ounces of our fuel. We add 2 quarts of oil in the pitstop and I took over for the final stint knowing we had MiElan about 1 lap behind us and Tuttle in front by 1 lap. We couldn't keep up with Tuttle on speed so we decided to run 2:54's make sure we can finish. With just over an hour left i struggled getting the car slowed down, locking the fronts up in very odd spots. Push the clutch in and yep throttle was hanging in random spots. So for the last hour i drove the car as carefully as i could, by the end of the race the throttle was hung around 4500 rpm trying to drive in the snow yeah i was glad Sunday was over. We finished Sunday P3 overall and first in class.

 

Given the competition we had at this race, we had a helluva weekend. Great teams, great comradery we enjoyed our time in the garage with other teams helping where we could. @wvumtnbkr made my weekend proudly wearing his unicorn onesie i found. Road America continues to show why they have the best safety crew and facilities around and as always Champ ran a fantastic race. A BIG thank you to everyone involved.

 

We are looking forward to spring and heading back to Road America for the Nat. Chip.

Until then we will pull the old girl apart clean her up and bundle up for a cold Wisconsin winter.

 

 

I may have video of the off in the bend Sunday morning.

 

I remember being presented a very large door in the bend Sunday morning.  I had to use a little more of the grass than I would have liked to not hit it.  Not 100% sure it was you, but I think it was a Mercedes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I as a first time team captain with a newly built ChampCar and team, I had one of my best race weekends ever! The quality of the drivers on track was phenomenal! Especially being in a relatively

Thanks for all the great races in the last 10 years Mike Morrison.  Thank you RBank Racing and 90racing.com for the backup car we ended up running for this race.  Thank you MiElan for the brake

Great job by Troy when his team had an early end to their race and he went up and joined the broadcast team!  He would be a good guest announcer for future races. 

Posted Images

Well I as a first time team captain with a newly built ChampCar and team, I had one of my best race weekends ever! The quality of the drivers on track was phenomenal! Especially being in a relatively slow Class and car with two newbie drivers, who all did exceptionally well. The Rabbit worked well though I know of much to improve on over the winter now! The fact we were never touched is amazing to me. I have had many laps racing at Road America, in an ITB Scirroco in 1991 to 1993, then in a Neon from 1994 to 1998 then a Formula Ford from 1998 to 2000, and from personal experience I rank all of the drivers we had the pleasure to race with right up with the Formula Ford drivers! Not a bad first outing for my Rabbit either, it ran all 3 days with out a hitch, other then 1 black flag for a pass under yellow by our least experienced driver on Saturday and Sunday a tire wheel issue by my boss who avoided an accident with a Corvette in the bend on his first lap out and ended up bending a wheel, followed by a loose wheel 8 laps later that was caused by myself by trusting my torque stick instead of an actual torque wrench which was used on that stop and no further issues after that. Starting 3rd on Saturday was a bit intimidating, but at least I was the one driving that first stint and left me feeling a bunch better about this series and all you drivers, I had 2 cars passing on both sides in turns, and left enough room for us all it was amazing watching and holding my line while much faster cars came by me. The best part for me was the Rabbit ran for the entire weekend and we actually finished 10 in A out of 13 on Saturday and 7 in A on Sunday. And the Road America Crew is awesome though I am biased as I work weekends off and on with them during the year. Again thanks to everyone for making my first ChampCar outing as awesome as it was, we will see you all again in April hopefully Abit faster! Team Captain 514 ! Have a safe winter!

IMG_20200801_074640661_HDR.jpg

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Timothy G. Elliott said:

Well I as a first time team captain with a newly built ChampCar and team, I had one of my best race weekends ever! The quality of the drivers on track was phenomenal! Especially being in a relatively slow Class and car with two newbie drivers, who all did exceptionally well. The Rabbit worked well though I know of much to improve on over the winter now! The fact we were never touched is amazing to me. I have had many laps racing at Road America, in an ITB Scirroco in 1991 to 1993, then in a Neon from 1994 to 1998 then a Formula Ford from 1998 to 2000, and from personal experience I rank all of the drivers we had the pleasure to race with right up with the Formula Ford drivers! Not a bad first outing for my Rabbit either, it ran all 3 days with out a hitch, other then 1 black flag for a pass under yellow by our least experienced driver on Saturday and Sunday a tire wheel issue by my boss who avoided an accident with a Corvette in the bend on his first lap out and ended up bending a wheel, followed by a loose wheel 8 laps later that was caused by myself by trusting my torque stick instead of an actual torque wrench which was used on that stop and no further issues after that. Starting 3rd on Saturday was a bit intimidating, but at least I was the one driving that first stint and left me feeling a bunch better about this series and all you drivers, I had 2 cars passing on both sides in turns, and left enough room for us all it was amazing watching and holding my line while much faster cars came by me. The best part for me was the Rabbit ran for the entire weekend and we actually finished 10 in A out of 13 on Saturday and 7 in A on Sunday. And the Road America Crew is awesome though I am biased as I work weekends off and on with them during the year. Again thanks to everyone for making my first ChampCar outing as awesome as it was, we will see you all again in April hopefully Abit faster! Team Captain 514 ! Have a safe winter!

IMG_20200801_074640661_HDR.jpg

I will say your team of drivers all seemed to be very good with holding lines and looking in the mirrors.  I felt very comfortable with your car every time I came up on it.  I think it was about 3ish Sunday that I split the middle between you and the red miata with the vinyl decals, I appreciated the space as the Riley vette was closing on me really fast!  Glad you had the reliability success as well, RA can really punish cars, as I'm sure you know.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hotchkis23 said:

I will say your team of drivers all seemed to be very good with holding lines and looking in the mirrors.  I felt very comfortable with your car every time I came up on it.  I think it was about 3ish Sunday that I split the middle between you and the red miata with the vinyl decals, I appreciated the space as the Riley vette was closing on me really fast!  Glad you had the reliability success as well, RA can really punish cars, as I'm sure you know.

Yeah the punishment is why I chose the Rabbit, My Scirroco was pretty bullet proof an hugely swayed me to go with the Rabbit. Plus I have lots of spares. And thanks for the kind words, I too was impressed with my driver's both Mark and Kim did very well with the pressure, Marks best lap was within .5 of my best lap and consistent throughout his stints and Kim was within 2 seconds of our best, and also consistent. Both were very happy as I!

Edited by Timothy G. Elliott
Spelling
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great Weekend at RA, good clean racing, this was the first weekend that our car has not experienced car to car contact in a long while.  But, I would be remiss if I did not mention the spirt of competition and "the legal class D corvette".  Many of us do not have the resources to run in professional series so when competitors from those series compete in our event "legally", it to me seriously diminishes the sprit of competition.  Clearly adjustments to rules are required when a competitor laps some 10 seconds faster than anyone else on the track, as experienced at Indy and RA.  We were unfortunate enough at Indy to be rear-ended by "the corvette"; overtaking car required to pass safely, correct?.  With closing rates of these kind by un-matched cars, it is only time before something serious happens on track.  I will mention that these extremely fast competitors have so far done a good job of passing slower cars safely.  But, I believe in the interest of safety this need to be addressed.  Additionally along the same safety considerations I believe Champcar should consider requiring stock bodywork, ie: bumpers, doors, hood, trunks.  Some of the cars on track are to me becoming quite dangerous running without bumpers, minimal doors, large extending splitters, wood bodywork, etc.  Many cannot even be discerned as to what they make/model tehy are unless you look at the data plate.  Doors, Bumpers, hoods, roofs all provide an added level of safety beyond the simple frame and roll cage of the car.  If a car would not pass inspection for the highway, why should it be on the race track going twice the speed.

 

So as a competitor to stay competitive do we run legal or outside the rules.    Competitors are reluctant to challenge our other competitors and champcar understandingly is also reluctant to challenge paying customers.  This to me is what it is, and likely will not change in the near future but adherence to rules does need to be addressed somehow.  You see very few, if any, other series amateur or professional where the respective competitors are the ones required to police the rules.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Daring Greatly Racing had another weekend of ups and downs.  We had two renters from Clapped Out Racing that run an E36 out east and have never been to Road America  before.  

 

Saturday we ended up in black flag for a  pass under yellow that put us 2 more labs down and then things were uneventful until it was my turn to drive. I heard thee sound of a large bolt falling out and rattling around under the car then felt a vibration from the rear that seemed to go away once above 100mph.  I brought the car in and we jacked it up and inspected all the bolts in the rear suspension, hub bearings, axles, rear drive shaft bolts and we didn't see anything.  I went back out and finished my stint with the  vibration still there.  The next guy finished the race with the same vibration that didn't seem to get any worse.  We ended up 20th overall out of 65 cars when you take out he EC cars.  Saturday night we replaced both rear wheel bearings and put a wrench on all the rear suspension and drivetrain bolts, almost.  

 

Sunday one of the Clapped Out guys started us off and reported back that the vibration was still there.  A little ways into his stint he heard the same bolt falling out type noise but this time the vibration was gone.  We brought the car in, looked around, didn't see anything, sent him back out.  He later heard the same noise again, and the vibration came back.  The same happened to the next driver, then I got in the car.  I left pit road after returning my timer, accelerated up to 40mph and the driveshaft fell out of the front of the transmission and put an inspection hole in our transmission tunnel.  Turns out an odd number of bolts causes a vibration and an even number of bolts makes the vibration go away.  Who would have thought?

 

I clearly made a huge mistake by not checking the front driveshaft bolts and will not make that mistake again as I've improved my check list.   I'm just glad that all the renters including my Brother In-law got two stints and that the car failed with me driving.  I'm also glad nobody got hurt and that I didn't ruin any other teams day with my stupidity.   

 

We are looking forward to cutting some weight (from the race car) this off season and adding some of the material we cut off back to the fenders to run some wider wheels and tires.  I'm also going to be looking into how much fuel we dump when decelerating.  We got the same fuel mileage at Road America as we did at Gingerman, and I can't help but think we are using way to much fuel when not accelerating.  

 

Thanks again to Champcar and the volunteers for running another great event, and thank you again to the staff at Road America for all they did as well!

DSC_4468.jpg

 

The car looks huge here!

DSC_4969.jpg

 

DSC_4855.jpg

 

DSC_4564.jpg

 

Port_Hole.jpg

 

DSC_5236.jpg

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hcsi99 said:

Daring Greatly Racing had another weekend of ups and downs.  We had two renters from Clapped Out Racing that run an E36 out east and have never been to Road America  before.  

 

Saturday we ended up in black flag for a  pass under yellow that put us 2 more labs down and then things were uneventful until it was my turn to drive. I heard thee sound of a large bolt falling out and rattling around under the car then felt a vibration from the rear that seemed to go away once above 100mph.  I brought the car in and we jacked it up and inspected all the bolts in the rear suspension, hub bearings, axles, rear drive shaft bolts and we didn't see anything.  I went back out and finished my stint with the  vibration still there.  The next guy finished the race with the same vibration that didn't seem to get any worse.  We ended up 20th overall out of 65 cars when you take out he EC cars.  Saturday night we replaced both rear wheel bearings and put a wrench on all the rear suspension and drivetrain bolts, almost.  

 

Sunday one of the Clapped Out guys started us off and reported back that the vibration was still there.  A little ways into his stint he heard the same bolt falling out type noise but this time the vibration was gone.  We brought the car in, looked around, didn't see anything, sent him back out.  He later heard the same noise again, and the vibration came back.  The same happened to the next driver, then I got in the car.  I left pit road after returning my timer, accelerated up to 40mph and the driveshaft fell out of the front of the transmission and put an inspection hole in our transmission tunnel.  Turns out an odd number of bolts causes a vibration and an even number of bolts makes the vibration go away.  Who would have thought?

 

I clearly made a huge mistake by not checking the front driveshaft bolts and will not make that mistake again as I've improved my check list.   I'm just glad that all the renters including my Brother In-law got two stints and that the car failed with me driving.  I'm also glad nobody got hurt and that I didn't ruin any other teams day with my stupidity.   

 

We are looking forward to cutting some weight (from the race car) this off season and adding some of the material we cut off back to the fenders to run some wider wheels and tires.  I'm also going to be looking into how much fuel we dump when decelerating.  We got the same fuel mileage at Road America as we did at Gingerman, and I can't help but think we are using way to much fuel when not accelerating.  

 

Thanks again to Champcar and the volunteers for running another great event, and thank you again to the staff at Road America for all they did as well!

 

It’s amazing how audible that bolt-drop sound is! I had one come out of the brake caliper bracket and you could even hear it on the gopro. One corner later the caliper pivoted out and destroyed the wheel.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gavro said:

 

😲 That could have gotten very exciting had it severed the positive battery cable.

 

Was nice sharing a garage with you guys. Sorry we had to hog it all day Saturday.

We will be adding a fuse between that cable and the battery.  It was nice sharing a garage with you as well.  I think we all did great with the space we had.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hcsi99 said:

We will be adding a fuse between that cable and the battery.  It was nice sharing a garage with you as well.  I think we all did great with the space we had.  

 

I believe you can get circuit breakers that would work for that and are more durable.  That way, you can at least try a reset if it is a fluke and not an actual hole in the tunnel that took put the battery cable!  Geez!

 

Anytime a fluke issue like that happens, I always do something to make it safer.  It will never happen again, but I'm glad you are looking into solving the issue!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hcsi99 said:

 I'm also going to be looking into how much fuel we dump when decelerating.

What ECU are you running? All (most) EFI systems cut fuel entirely when decelerating and aftermarket have an option to turn it off. If it's not doing a full cut it's usually a TPS that is  misadjusted and the ECU doesn't know the throttle is closed.

Edited by morganf
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a stock ECU that is tuned.  We ran a test and Gingerman with a stock ECU and the tuned ECU and fuel burn was about the same.  I'm going to talk with the tuner and see what he says.  It sure does pop and burble a lot more with the tune and it has more power all the way to redline compared to the stock ECU but again, fuel burn was the same.  I know fuel may be sprayed into the cylinder under deceleration to help cool the cylinder, not sure if that's the case with this engine or not.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hcsi99 said:

I have a stock ECU that is tuned.  We ran a test and Gingerman with a stock ECU and the tuned ECU and fuel burn was about the same.  I'm going to talk with the tuner and see what he says.  It sure does pop and burble a lot more with the tune and it has more power all the way to redline compared to the stock ECU but again, fuel burn was the same.  I know fuel may be sprayed into the cylinder under deceleration to help cool the cylinder, not sure if that's the case with this engine or not.  

Tuner may have turned it off to help give that burble everyone wants :P. What also helps cool the cylinder is air pumped through without explosions . 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2020 at 6:02 PM, Ian said:

 

I may have video of the off in the bend Sunday morning.

 

I remember being presented a very large door in the bend Sunday morning.  I had to use a little more of the grass than I would have liked to not hit it.  Not 100% sure it was you, but I think it was a Mercedes.

 

We were in front of crowd control at the time see the video. Once we have ours uploaded we will know for sure, sorry if it was us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2020 at 4:59 PM, JDChristianson said:

Great performance from your team.  Well done.   Out of curiosity, we were looking and had this been the Championship race, you guys would be the Champs.  

 

Yeah we saw that but this wasn't the Chip.

 

Im sure a few more hammers will show up next spring and the competition will be even tighter. We have to pray for some attrition and keep our car on the track that will be how we compete.

 

Cuddo's to team MiElan as well. Always fun sharing the track with you guys.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

No, but we were standing right off of turn 5 watching and holding our breath you didn't get plowed into!

Was that Saturday in Turn 5? where we spun near the wall?

 

This was Sunday between 7&8

Yeah we had a nice discussion about that with the team, driver saw the steam and assumed fire and unbelted himself, looking at where the car stopped on the track, that could have been very bad... 

Edited by epic_garage
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, epic_garage said:

Anyone happen to get video of our crash Sunday morning (just over the 1 hour mark) past turn 7? 

image.png

 

What happened?  I think I passed you between 5 and 7, and never looked back.  Saw the wreck on my next lap around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, epic_garage said:

Was that Saturday in Turn 5? where we spun near the wall?

 

This was Sunday between 7&8

Yeah we had a nice discussion about that with the team, driver saw the steam and assumed fire and unbelted himself, looking at where the car stopped on the track, that could have been very bad... 

Ah, no, y'all had a spin in the 1st 30 minutes on Sunday too in the bottom of 5.  That could have been REALLY bad!!  Not a good place to unbelt at all!

Edited by hotchkis23
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hotchkis23 said:

Ah, no, y'all had a spin in the 1st 30 minutes on Sunday too in the bottom of 5.  That could have been REALLY bad!!  Not a good place to unbelt at all!

You are correct, I thought that was on Sat... Same video at the 43:47 mark, just rewatched it. Only happened a couple of times but right rear would lock up and swing the rear end out, that's what happened there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, epic_garage said:

You are correct, I thought that was on Sat... Same video at the 43:47 mark, just rewatched it. Only happened a couple of times but right rear would lock up and swing the rear end out, that's what happened there.

No Bueno!  We are sitting in the F250 with the lights on as you spin around! Glad you didn't put it in the wall.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...