2020 - Frozen Rotors Winter Classic at Road America

On 10/30/2020 at 11:39 AM, Gkuhn41 said:

Saturday we started back half of the pack. I took the green and worked through the field up to top 10. I had some pucker 10 moments. One with the corvette oiling down the brake zone and middle of turn 5. Had a fantastic battle with Visceral was able to set our fastest lap ever while getting a good pull down the straights off of that porsche. Good clean racing before the end of my stint that was a blast. Mike ran 2nd, Matt 3rd and Andy 4th stints everyone was uneventful and clean. Good battles with cars throughout and they brought the car home to a P5 and class win Saturday.

That was me and was a really fun battle for what seemed like and hour. We must have gone back and forth a good 3-4 times and we had a group of 3 or 4 of us all going at it. Thank you for the battle and great memory as that is what I hope to get.

This was my first race with Visceral and Ron. I have battled him for years and when he had an opening I took it and glad I did. He does an amazing job at prepping the car, has great drivers and cool attitude that I could learn a thing or two from. Pressure driving for a new team and I was stressed on the way up hoping I would not let them all down.

We had an interesting weekend. Ron left his house after work on Thursday and his truck broke down in the evening 2 hours from home with a bad axle seal. He went to Dodge, slept in the truck, in the morning they were less than helpful so he had to rent a uhaul truck. He made it on Friday night at like 8pm, no practice, but since I had raced the track 4 times before it was all good.

Ron let me know I would drive first, ugg, no pressure, and we started out like 15-20th or so with our gate pick. Ron did inform me that my starting position I have a goal of making that half, starting out 20ht or so I hope to come in in the top 10. When looking at the cars and teams, that was going to be work. It took me about an hour to get comfortable with the car and how she wanted to be driven. I had some great battles and really enjoyed the stint. I came in around the top 5 as we could go long on fuel. We had to go different than others as we did not have the outright speed and were on 30+hour RS4 tires. Frank, Jay and Ron all went in that order and did really well. We tried a hell mary on fuel and did not go as long as we wanted, dang you RA, and had to pit an extra time. We looked at positions and all and it did not affect us. We did end up 4th for Saturday and I felt it was an amazing result when looking at the top teams and how blazing fast the field was. The lap times were incredible to watch compared to the past. We did brake pad change and went over the car when impound was done as it was already jacked up and ready.

Sunday I got to start again, this time in like 60th place, but at least I knew the car better. I pushed harder as I knew the speed of the field and had to make up places. I think I got to 6th or so in the first hour and then since we went 2 hours on fuel when I pitted we were in 1st. Whaoo, job done.  I did have a bump into the black maxima, I thought it was JSK and contacted him, but he said it was the other black maxima. ooops. Well, if you read this, sorry about bumping you in the apex of turn 8. I think you missed a shift and I was doing all I could to battle you as we were going back and forth and had I was having a great time. Sorry about the bump as it was not on purpose.

Next guy in and did great and up there with the leaders on Sunday. He did a little spinny spin in turn 5 and stalled the car. The starter was bad and had to get towed back, kindoff. After we had a miss at high rpms and could not fix it, but tried a bunch of different items. We all packed up and Ron and all left early.

A great weekend overall and we are looking forward to the April RA race.

• Like 3
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I as a first time team captain with a newly built ChampCar and team, I had one of my best race weekends ever! The quality of the drivers on track was phenomenal! Especially being in a relatively

Thanks for all the great races in the last 10 years Mike Morrison.  Thank you RBank Racing and 90racing.com for the backup car we ended up running for this race.  Thank you MiElan for the brake

Great job by Troy when his team had an early end to their race and he went up and joined the broadcast team!  He would be a good guest announcer for future races. 

Posted Images

On 11/2/2020 at 8:36 AM, Racer28173 said:

Great job by Troy when his team had an early end to their race and he went up and joined the broadcast team!  He would be a good guest announcer for future races. 

Thanks. Bill lives like an hour and half from me and I bummed a ride up with him instead of driving the 15 hours by myself. He was my ride home and after we broke early on Sunday I went up to the broadcast area to hang out and be out of the cold. He asked me how the day went on the broadcast and he handed me a headset as he had to do something and basically never came back.  I tried to bring in my experiences from my million past races and hopefully I did not over talk Doc to much, but I was thinking Doc was happy to have someone to talk to besides Bill at that point in the weekend. It was interesting and fun to be on the broadcast and I hope I made it better, or at least not take away from it.

I did really enjoy doing the broadcast and would be happy to do it again if asked. 

• Like 4
39 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Thanks. Bill lives like an hour and half from me and I bummed a ride up with him instead of driving the 15 hours by myself. He was my ride home and after we broke early on Sunday I went up to the broadcast area to hang out and be out of the cold. He asked me how the day went on the broadcast and he handed me a headset as he had to do something and basically never came back.  I tried to bring in my experiences from my million past races and hopefully I did not over talk Doc to much, but I was thinking Doc was happy to have someone to talk to besides Bill at that point in the weekend. It was interesting and fun to be on the broadcast and I hope I made it better, or at least not take away from it.

I did really enjoy doing the broadcast and would be happy to do it again if asked. 

Agree with previous comment.  You sounded really natural on the feed.  Nice work!

• Like 3
7 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

You definitely fit in with the style of the show, and your personal knowledge of the teams being discussed.

On a side note, near the end of the show on Sunday I think it was @Doc who wondered allowed if our car was Automatic.  Its not.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...