Anyone used URayCoder for live streaming? (LiveU Solo budget option)

Hi,

Has anyone used URayCoder for live streaming? It seems like a budget solution for LiveU Solo ($150 vs $999).

It takes HDMI input and connects to a hotspot in your car and streams to youtube.

The device it self doesn't have bonding and it's absolutely a china company.

The LiveU Solo seems awesome but not sure if it's worth >$1000 for us. (Buying Penske instead would be nice!! ) 

On 10/30/2020 at 7:52 AM, turbogrill said:

Hi,

Has anyone used URayCoder for live streaming? It seems like a budget solution for LiveU Solo ($150 vs $999).

It takes HDMI input and connects to a hotspot in your car and streams to youtube.

The device it self doesn't have bonding and it's absolutely a china company.

The LiveU Solo seems awesome but not sure if it's worth >$1000 for us. (Buying Penske instead would be nice!! ) 

if your choice is liveu vs penske's thats easy......penske's all day long.

aside from that youget what you pay for. do the liveu.....

On 11/3/2020 at 8:59 AM, turbogrill said:

With the LiveU is it really just to press one button in the morning and it will start the stream?

Including starting the youtube side of it.

What happens if the connection drops for a few minutes, will it recover?

i'll be at HH today, or swing by the house this weekend and i'll get you contact info for guy that runs this plumbing for the autospec team.

I would be interested in how to get a streaming camera up and running as well but I would have to cut the budget down a bit. Penske’s are not an option and neither is the Liveu.  I’m willing to take a less than broadcast quality picture too. 

43 minutes ago, TimS said:

I would be interested in how to get a streaming camera up and running as well but I would have to cut the budget down a bit. Penske’s are not an option and neither is the Liveu.  I’m willing to take a less than broadcast quality picture too. 

For an easy budget solution I would try the Yi4k you can buy them of ebay. I also have a friend that wants to sell his. If you already have a camera I would try the URayCoder. It's $150 - $200 (You need the H264 one, Youtube doesn't support H265/HEVC yet).

As far I know these are the options (all obviously require some kind of hotspot/modem in the car) :

- GoPro. Can not auto connect with bad connections, requires a phone next to it, requires fiddling with an app. Might only support high bandwidth ($300)

- Yi4k. Unknown about auto reconnect with bad connections, only requires phone with setup. Can be started using scripts. Don't make these anymore ($150-$250)

- Cheap Encoder (Such as URayCoder) + Camera.  Little fiddling but some initial setup, unknown about reconnect ($150-$200 + camera)

- LiveU Solo + Camera. Probably best solution, can bond several 4G hotspots/modems. No known issues (>$999 + camera)

- RaspberryPi + Capture Card  + Camera. This is what I am doing, suitable for the geek who likes computers. Can solve all of the above problems. ($100 + camera)

If you loose connection for more than ~1 minute Youtube might cancel the live stream. Not sure how LiveU Solo solves this. My plan is to use the Google Youtube API to create a new livestream if that happens.

Also TMobile is giving out free hotspots with 30GB data/30 days. https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

I will try my RaspberryPi setup the next few weeks.

Edit:

You don't need 1000 subscribers anymore for Youtube. But it takes 24hours for them to activate your account and you can only stream using direcct RTMP (should be supported by most streaming devices). 

Edited by turbogrill

How about a cctv type camera, the encoder, and some type of recorder/hard drive?  I know it’s not streaming but would/could it record 8-10hrs? Without the loop recording my fake GoPro does?  I have T-Mobile and a couple old hot spots I can add when I want them too. GoPro type camera just doesn’t work for long enough. 
folks at home want to watch but not at the track of course. 

Edited by TimS

What's the problem with your GoPro style camera, runs out of memory or battery?

If you stream you don't need to record on the camera, it just sends the video out on HDMI so shouldn't be a memory issue. 

If you don't want to stream I would assume using a camera and a large sd card would be the best, less crap to mess around with.

I have not tried streaming. I had fake go pro with power from the car via usb cord, largest SD card that would work in camera. It would record many small 3 minute videos and then stop recording when it felt like it. Never filled the memory on the card. Checked settings and adjusted for longest loop time and still didn’t work correctly. Seems file type restricts the video size/length so how. How do security cameras record hours and days worth of video?  I’m looking to do something like that if possible. I’m technical but some of the network and IT stuff makes my head hurt 

Sound like your camera sucks :)

Is your SDCard very slow? What bitrate are you running? 

Lot of these "action" cameras are made for shorter recordings.  They typically record at an insane high quality  that really don't make it feasible for 8hours.

For instance the lowest setting on my GoPro 7  Black is something like 30Mbit, that is ~100 GB or 8 hours. 

My nest CCTV camera uses 1.2 mbit at most, so almost 30 times less. 

Netflix streams at about 4-6mbit.

You could try a cheap CCTV camera and a recorder but I don't think it would look very good. Unless you want to stream a GoPro style camera with decent memory card should work.

Edit:
What camera is it and what settings?

Edit2:

Not sure if a dash cam would work, they are at least made with long durations in mind. Probably very low framerate.

https://www.thedashcamstore.com/blog/dont-use-a-gopro-as-a-dash-cam-heres-why/

Edited by turbogrill

You would think that would be great but it only records a maximum of 10 minutes then it records over the previous 10. I only get 10 minutes before the power is turned off. It’s frustrating for sure. All settings that I have changed even the continuous record function only nets about a ten minute video. I need to figure out a camera, encoder, plus? That isn’t a budget killer and test it out driving around town in my service truck. Amazing picture quality isn’t the most important issue. 

• 5 weeks later...

well, the thing you really want, and that you get with LiveU is the bonding. That way you can run two different cell networks, so have better coverage (and redundancy) across all venues. Plus the bonding boosts upload bandwidth so you get higher res.

If you don't travel a lot then the expense of the setup is of questionable value, but if you do actively campaign or have sponsors that would want to display in their facilities during races then you really want the LiveU setup.

Edited by atxe30