Race suit sizing.

Ian

So, I'm in the market for a new suit.  I've had mine well over a decade, and it's time for a change.

The issue is sizing.  Its so variable across brands that I'm hoping y'all can provide some real world feedback.  I'm not what I would have considered European sized per se, but I'm not terribly happy with the fit of my current US sized suit.  I'm a fit 6'2", 200 lbs.  

My current suit is an XL Simpson.  Height wise, it's perfect, sleeve length is about right, but the waist....  The middle section of the suit is so big I could hide another person in there, and it leads to lots of bunching.  I have to tie the belt like a shoe laces because the velcro doesn't nearly come close to doing anything.

So, where are my fellow tall chaps (champs)?  What fits a tall not super skinny guy well?  OMP, Alpine Stars, Sparco?  Judging by size charts all the US suits are out Simpson/RaceQuip/GForce.

• Administrators

So when I bought my new suit last year I took all my measurements based on the OMP guide because that was the brand I knew I wanted. 

I am 5'11" and vary from 185 to 200 depending on how many beers I drink over the race weekend. I went with a 54 and it fits great. Very happy with it.  

Discovery Parts might be able to help but I went through Northstar Mortorsports because they will send you suits to try on and return. 

https://www.northstarmotorsports.com/

Good luck and let me know if you need help. 

• Thanks 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
2 hours ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

So when I bought my new suit last year I took all my measurements based on the OMP guide because that was the brand I knew I wanted. 

I am 5'11" and vary from 185 to 200 depending on how many beers I drink over the race weekend. I went with a 54 and it fits great. Very happy with it.  

Discovery Parts might be able to help but I went through Northstar Mortorsports because they will send you suits to try on and return. 

https://www.northstarmotorsports.com/

Good luck and let me know if you need help. 

Which suit did you get?  I asked discovery parts to bring an OMP one-s1 and a Sabelt ts-10 to Sebring for me to try.  It’s finally time to retire my roundy-round surplus suit

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Which suit did you get?  I asked discovery parts to bring an OMP one-s1 and a Sabelt ts-10 to Sebring for me to try.  It’s finally time to retire my roundy-round surplus suit

This is the one I bought:

https://www.northstarmotorsports.com/products/sfID1/Driver+Gear/sfID2/Racing+Suits/manufacturer/OMP/productID/8491

I really like it.  Way better than the horse blanket I had. 

• Members

Are you close to a shop to try them on or in the future will be? I went to OGracing and spent a few hours. I found a size 56 in Sparco to fit well, but 54 in OMP and like 52 or 58 in another brand. It was all over the place. Also, one brand would fit well standing up and walking around, but when I sat in a racing seat with a steering wheel it was super tight in my upper chest area and pulled badly under my arms. I am shorter and stockier (some say sexy dad bod-very short list), but still, the differences in suit fitment was all over. I would say if you could try on mutliple ones, sit in a racing seat and grab a steering wheel to pretend on how it will be in real life would be best.

BTW- I went in with a $1500 budget, tried on like 6-7 different suits and kept going back to the Sparco RS4 that cost like $700 as it fit best and felt the best. Only time in my life when I found the less expensive option to be the best.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Are you close to a shop to try them on or in the future will be? I went to OGracing and spent a few hours. I found a size 56 in Sparco to fit well, but 54 in OMP and like 52 or 58 in another brand. It was all over the place. Also, one brand would fit well standing up and walking around, but when I sat in a racing seat with a steering wheel it was super tight in my upper chest area and pulled badly under my arms. I am shorter and stockier (some say sexy dad bod-very short list), but still, the differences in suit fitment was all over. I would say if you could try on mutliple ones, sit in a racing seat and grab a steering wheel to pretend on how it will be in real life would be best.

BTW- I went in with a $1500 budget, tried on like 6-7 different suits and kept going back to the Sparco RS4 that cost like $700 as it fit best and felt the best. Only time in my life when I found the less expensive option to be the best.

I wish I was.  There's nothing but roundy rounders up this way.  Closest place to test fit anything beyond the most basic crap would be race suit rental 3 hours away or Pegasus 5+ hours.  Both would essentially require taking a full day off work to get to.

I really like @E. Tyler Pedersen link.  I'll have to see if there's something I can find there to start the test fit process.  I've got 6 weeks till Barber, hopefully I can sort this before we leave.

I'm thinking a L pyrotec or a 56 Sparco/OMP/Alpinestars might be the right size.  Now to pick colors and styles.

I wonder if Discovery Parts will be on site at Barber?  If they were there on Friday, maybe you could try on a variety of suits before the race.  I know it's not ideal to have to wait that long, but at least you might be able to find the right fit.

100% find a racing supplier near you to try some on. They all run a little different in cuts and sizing, so even if you measure perfectly it may not fit the same when you put it on. Last thing you want is to be shipping a multi hundred dollar suit back and forth to get the right sizing.

On 10/31/2020 at 9:48 PM, SonsOfIrony said:

So, I'm in the market for a new suit.  I've had mine well over a decade, and it's time for a change.

The issue is sizing.  Its so variable across brands that I'm hoping y'all can provide some real world feedback.  I'm not what I would have considered European sized per se, but I'm not terribly happy with the fit of my current US sized suit.  I'm a fit 6'2", 200 lbs.  

My current suit is an XL Simpson.  Height wise, it's perfect, sleeve length is about right, but the waist....  The middle section of the suit is so big I could hide another person in there, and it leads to lots of bunching.  I have to tie the belt like a shoe laces because the velcro doesn't nearly come close to doing anything.

So, where are my fellow tall chaps (champs)?  What fits a tall not super skinny guy well?  OMP, Alpine Stars, Sparco?  Judging by size charts all the US suits are out Simpson/RaceQuip/GForce.

I am 6"1" 185. I have a one piece, if I had to do it over again I'd buy a 2 piece. I bought a Large. It fits ok but it is snug in the crotch. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, SonsOfIrony said:

I wish I was.  There's nothing but roundy rounders up this way.  Closest place to test fit anything beyond the most basic crap would be race suit rental 3 hours away or Pegasus 5+ hours.  Both would essentially require taking a full day off work to get to.

I really like @E. Tyler Pedersen link.  I'll have to see if there's something I can find there to start the test fit process.  I've got 6 weeks till Barber, hopefully I can sort this before we leave.

I'm thinking a L pyrotec or a 56 Sparco/OMP/Alpinestars might be the right size.  Now to pick colors and styles.

They will charge you for the suit and ship it to you.  They will send you multiple sizes or brands to try on.  I really had good experience with them.  They can be negotiated to 10% or so.   By the way come say HEY at Barber.  We didn't get to meet at Rd America so hopefully share some beers at Barber with @wvumtnbkr and @NigelStu

4 hours ago, red0 said:

I really like my Zamp ZR-50 suit and gloves I got from 90racing.com. If you email Sharon who can be reached at sales@90racing.com she can help you with the sizing. 

I was not aware Zamp does Suits also.  I run one of their helmets and am really pleased with it.  Also, after my big crash they exchanged my ruined helmet for a brand new one for half off.  Good people.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

I am 6"1" 185. I have a one piece, if I had to do it over again I'd buy a 2 piece. I bought a Large. It fits ok but it is snug in the crotch. 

One of our guys had that problem.

He bought a spool of the correct color nomex thread and had the crotch dropped in his suit by a proper tailor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

My alpinestars suit fits me very well....  with the exception of too short for my huge crotch....

Good to know.  I drive a lifted pickup truck and wear white sunglasses, so that shouldn't be an issue. ;)

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, CoachMK21 said:

I wonder if Discovery Parts will be on site at Barber?  If they were there on Friday, maybe you could try on a variety of suits before the race.  I know it's not ideal to have to wait that long, but at least you might be able to find the right fit.

That's actually not a terrible idea.  My current suit is still serviceable, I'm just tired of walking around at races looking like some who dropped 100# but didn't buy new clothes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

By the way come say HEY at Barber.  We didn't get to meet at Rd America so hopefully share some beers at Barber with @wvumtnbkr and 

Will do thanks.  RA was nuts for me.  Besides being the first race for the new build, we brought an extra car and ran it with 1 veteran and 3 completely green drivers.  I was splitting my time between driving, monitering the new car, and herding 3 cats.  Add in Covid, and it's a good thing I'm already bald hahaha.

Back when we were getting started, we had a large variety of unusual sized team members to fit. From me at 6’3” 300 with short legs and long torso, to 6’4” 170 with really long legs, and other oddities too. Myself I could never have enough crotch clearance with an off the rack suit. We used Trackside Tim in SC for fully custom suits, the price is reasonable, the suits are high quality, and his seamstress has many years of experience sewing race suits. Turnaround from order to shipping was less than a week, and in our case shipping was next day since we are so close to his shop. He even ordered a new batch of outer fabric to make sure that all the suits had the exact same shade of blue.

http://www.customshopusa.com/dspitem.asp?CatID=27&SubCatID=58

vir1.thumb.jpg.00396f10c47090a4fc4e899c34278b68.jpg