Cooper RS3-R

MR2 Biohazard

"Same lap times as an RE71R, but wears like an RS4"

This was the claim I heard.  Which sounds to me like the dictionary definition of too good to be true.  Until someone, not the new US distributer/getting free tires to say it, actually says that, I'm not buying it for a second.

If I brought a new tire to market, I also would claim it has the best qualities of the 2 most popular DOT street/race tires.  Since the claims aren't actually quantifiable, it avoids that whole false advertising pitfall.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Does anyone have any first hand experience with these and can compare to other tires, RS4, RE71R, ect. From what I see on the internet it seems to be a good tire, but that seems to be from someone who is trying to sell the tires and I was hoping for an unbiased assessment.

Troy- I can help answer your questions. PM me

4 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

I am also interested in the Falken RT660 to see grip and wear rate on those. They have a lot of sizes that could work for a lot of teams, but not a lot of 15" sizes.

What I know of them, second hand but reliable, is they are not quite as fast as the RE71.  They wear about as fast as the re71.  They are not as good in the wet as the re71.  

• Like 1

Anything for Paul! Haha. Tires are stiff like a true race slick. PSI will need to be lowered when compared to likes of RS4, AO52, Re71. Suspension will need to be softened up as well. Grip was good and comparable to ADO8R, little slower than AO52(not much). Grip in wet was comparable to ADO8R. It will be a good tire choice for your Champcar. Buy some now!

Edited by scottyk
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Will have a used set running @ Sebring

Will it be good data?  Same / similar size?  I know you have all sorts of Sebring data.  I would literally PAY you (in beer or other "services") to have good data on these without buying them myself.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Will it be good data?  Same / similar size?  I know you have all sorts of Sebring data.  I would literally PAY you (in beer or other "services") to have good data on these without buying them myself.

I’m still waiting on my beer for the pedals!

I know...  i dropped the ball sooo hard on that.

Will y'all be at barber?  Or should I just send some local brews your way?

The worst part is that we had good beer to share.  I'm such a punk.

Edited by wvumtnbkr

23 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Winging it

Same size, same car set up (soft) And a target pressure from a different weight/type of car. 

25 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I’m going to have to find out what other services he has available, seems 🍺  isn’t a reliable source of payment 

You don't want to know....  I can't even type it here without getting on some sort of list.  I assure I am goid at it and discrete.  Just ask @Bill Strong....  oh crap...  wait.  Nevermind.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

They have a thread wear rating of 260.

Curious what series/racing regulation they did that for.

There is a pretty real possibility that they ran the UTQG treadwear test, and the data supports a 260 stamp. No reason other than marketing to stamp lower than the tested value. This is similar to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 (220 treadwear) or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect 240 (240 treadwear), but those tires will be compared against the "200 treadwear" category.

2 minutes ago, collinskl1 said:

There is a pretty real possibility that they ran the UTQG treadwear test, and the data supports a 260 stamp. No reason other than marketing to stamp lower than the tested value. This is similar to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 (220 treadwear) or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect 240 (240 treadwear), but those tires will be compared against the "200 treadwear" category.

I didn't even know there was a test :)

Would be very interesting if that was true, at least it would end the tire debate and banning certain tires.

51 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

I didn't even know there was a test :)

Would be very interesting if that was true, at least it would end the tire debate and banning certain tires.

The test is done by the tire makers. There is no 3rd party verification.  So a sticky tire that would actually be a 150 treadwear can be given a 200 rating by the manufacturer so the can sell tires to us racers.  That's literally the whole crux of the tire issue.  2 different tire brands with 200 treadwear ratings, but one wears out in 1/2 the time.   

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, petawawarace said:

The test is done by the tire makers. There is no 3rd party verification.  So a sticky tire that would actually be a 150 treadwear can be given a 200 rating by the manufacturer so the can sell tires to us racers.  That's literally the whole crux of the tire issue.  2 different tire brands with 200 treadwear ratings, but one wears out in 1/2 the time.   

got it, so there is a test but it's pointless :)

Sounds like the HP rating back in the day.