Cooper RS3-R

MR2 Biohazard

1 hour ago, mhr650 said:

Falken RT660 probably fits that exact same description.

The price difference to the same size 615K+ is rather large in the big sizes so I assume it's another hot autocross tire. Have looked, but haven't been able to find much of anything about tread life road racing.

eta-A concern I have is the tire companies chasing the autocross/time attack market and ignoring endurance racing, leaving little to chose from when it comes to tires with some wear resistance.

Edited by Bandit

1 hour ago, Gkuhn41 said:

So per reports its appears to be another version of the RE71 were you need to double your tire budget to go faster than an RS4. Just this time its in a 245/40/15

Double? RS4 cost $175 each, let us say 200 to keep the math easy. $800 gets you at least two races. That is $400 per race. WFT used 16 tires in one weekend and cost $3200. You can say $2800 extra per weekend to go 4 seconds a lap faster at NCM, worse case 3 seconds a lap.

BTW- I am going to use Cooper RS3-r on my new build as I want to have a good chance at winning. The downside is that I am only doing two races this year so I can afford it, kindoff, versus last year doing 6-8 races.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bandit said:

The price difference to the same size 615K+ is rather large in the big sizes so I assume it's another hot autocross tire. Have looked, but haven't been able to find much of anything about tread life road racing.

eta-A concern I have is the tire companies chasing the autocross/time attack market and ignoring endurance racing, leaving little to chose from when it comes to tires with some wear resistance.

GRM tested the RT660 against RE71. Just as fast with wear the same or maybe even worse.

Autocross market is so much bigger than the road race market it is the only sensible choice for the tire manufacturers. Street squids run what the winning autocrossers run, they don’t even know that we exist.

• Like 1

Our experience -

FWIW - Yes, we use a lot of tires. 205/50/15, car is about ~1900lb (I think?).  We usually drive close to sprint race pace.

Test day ran some worn RE71R's and then tried brand new RS3.  I ran the same lap times on both tires.  RS3 felt better to drive, turn-in more responsive, and didn't overheat as quickly.  It was old vs. new, so not the best comparison.  Throughout the weekend it seemed like the worn RE71R were capable of faster lap times than new, so I was impressed that the new RS3 was capable of the same times as the worn RE71R.  

On Sunday, I was the second driver on the RS3s which now had 2 hours plus some test sessions on them.  They were capable of 2:20s, which is what we ran on the cold 1st stint Saturday with RE71R, just couldn't put the lap together with traffic.  Again, they felt more consistent than the RE71R.  Usually there are some magic laps on the RE71 after some caution laps, then they feel like they have overheated, I did not experience this as much with the RS3.   Lap times seemed to be consistent from start to finish of tire life on the RS3, which was not the case with the RE71R.    

We went a 3rd stint on the RS3, which we never do with the RE71R, as we are too hard on the LF shoulder.  We may have been able to go a 4th stint, definitely if we moved the tire to the back.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Double? RS4 cost $175 each, let us say 200 to keep the math easy. $800 gets you at least two races. That is $400 per race. WFT used 16 tires in one weekend and cost $3200. You can say $2800 extra per weekend to go 4 seconds a lap faster at NCM, worse case 3 seconds a lap.

BTW- I am going to use Cooper RS3-r on my new build as I want to have a good chance at winning. The downside is that I am only doing two races this year so I can afford it, kindoff, versus last year doing 6-8 races.  

16 tires!!!!

That's a Miata right? How is that possible, are they running very narrow?

We run the 71re and get much better wear. Maybe we are driving to slow :)

We put on the 205 RE71Rs and were about a second slower than the 245 rivals.  

We had 10 tires -  245 Rival S 1.5s:

4 x Heat Cycled New

2 x 4 Hours Road America

2 x 2 Hours Road America

2 x 1 Hour Road America

(Basically 3.5 hours of total wear on a set of four)

These got us through:

14.7hrs at NCM with maybe a couple hours left in 4.  

In total that is 1.8-2.0 hours per tire (If you include the Road America time) vs. 1 hour per tire for the 205 RE71R.  We would get 2+ whole weekends out of the RS4s. 

$100/hr for 245 Rivals

$150/hr for the 205 RE71Rs.

$18/hr for 245 RS4s

• Like 9

2 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

$100/hr for 245 Rivals

$150/hr for the 205 RE71Rs.

$18/hr for 245 RS4s

We're at about $15/hr for the 245 R-S4s on the Civic. Not as much aero but the drivers were able to work it pretty hard.

Curious what the wear would be on the re71r if they where driven same pace as the RS4s. 

For instance a re71r at 90% might be same speed as RS4 at 100%. You could then use that extra grip for passing or other scenarios, you would also have an edge if it was wet.

Our hourly cost of re71r is way less but we are running 255s on a 2300lbs car.

Also changing tires DURING the race is cheating :) Who has time for that! We are busy fiddling with coolsuits, radios, dirty windshields, etc,etc,etc

Edited by turbogrill
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have acquired some slightly used RS3-R and RS3-RS from Round3Racing and hope to get some data on them in June.  

Round3Racing was very helpful and great to work with. 

Edited by veris
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mcoppola said:

It appears the neither the RS3-R, or RS3-RS are available in 245-15 quite yet.

If you email them, I believe the rs3rs is available now in the 245 40 15.

• Thanks 1

The rs3r MAY be available before CMP.

If so, I'll let you know my processes, trials and tribulations, and results.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

soooo....  crunch time!  

THey are still not available on the website.

I would REALLY like to run the 245 40 15 rs3r.  I will give them until next friday and then Ill be forced to order something I wont be happy with...

Crap.

32 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

soooo....  crunch time!  

I would REALLY like to run the 245 40 15 rs3r.  I will give them until next friday and then Ill be forced to order something I wont be happy with...

Crap.

No clue if Troy can help, super friendly... cell (541)760-4160.

Say Team Infiniti recommended him.

Edited by Team Infiniti

3 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

No clue if Troy can help, super friendly... cell (541)760-4160.

Say Team Infiniti recommended him.

Thank you!  I have been chatting with him through email a couple times a week. 

He is super helpful!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

soooo....  crunch time!  

Crap.

https://g2perf.com/? has the CR-1, good grip but wear seems to more closer to RE71r than RS4s.

• Thanks 1

If you are resigned to using fast wearing 245-15 tires the RT660 is less expensive than other options, and available at Discount Tire which means that you can avoid shipping as long as you have a Discount tire close which most people do nowadays.

19 minutes ago, Triangle42 said:

@mhr650

How do the RT660's do in the rain (grip) compared to the RS4's? Do they still wear very quickly?

No idea I have never ran them, just pointing out that they were available. From Grassroots they seemed to be similar to RE71 in both performance and wear, but are available in 245.

6 hours ago, Triangle42 said:

@mhr650

How do the RT660's do in the rain (grip) compared to the RS4's? Do they still wear very quickly?

From what I hear, they wear a bit quicker than re71r and are about the same speed.  I do NOT have 1st hand experience.