Extra Radiator points?

mgoblue06

So our S-10 radiator flows both coolant, and engine oil, through the same radiator. When we purchased our first truck, robbed parts, then scrapped it, we kept the original radiator that was in great shape. 

We were thinking of double stacking the radiators to keep the coolant and oil separate to keep temps as low as possible. What would the points hit for this be?

Thanks!

• Confused 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
3 minutes ago, mgoblue06 said:

So our S-10 radiator flows both coolant, and engine oil, through the same radiator. When we purchased our first truck, robbed parts, then scrapped it, we kept the original radiator that was in great shape. 

We were thinking of double stacking the radiators to keep the coolant and oil separate to keep temps as low as possible. What would the points hit for this be?

Thanks!

The only way to get an official answer would be to submit a ticket at the Tech Desk.  https://champcar.org/tech/

That being said, its likely you will be charged per rule 4.3.2

Radiator:
o Non-aluminum, non-OE: 5 pts
o Aluminum non-OE, less than $300: 10pts
o Non-OE, greater than $300: 30 pts

So, the OE radiator would be zero.

The ADDITIONAL OE radiator would likely be consided as "non aluminum, non-OE" for 5 points per the above, unless it is for some reason extremely expensive from a parts store, in which case it could be $30.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mender said:

But "replacing" it with another one.

The bottom line is that he's adding an oil cooler.

5pts for the new radiator

0pts for the oil cooler, since he is repurposing material from his car (old radiator is now an oil cooler).

(Yes you could argue that the above is insane but not different from building a wing from something).

edit:

You should check with techdesk, this sounds insane.

Edited by turbogrill

Not sure you want to "stack" radiators. The rear one might not get much air and restrict the movement of air thru the front one. Why not just get an oil cooler?  On our 1st build we ran a remote oil filter and a cooler, that gives you extra capacity, cools the oil and makes changing the filter easy. Not like you are going to use up points on an S10

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Wait, let me get this right, trying to use the oil cooler in the tank of a spare radiator while stacking radiators with the second radiator devoid of water?
OR

Are you trying to fill a second radiator with oil where the water used to go?

Neither will work

The stock radiator on a S10 doubles as an oil cooler as well. Has inlets for both water, and AN connections for the oil lines coming from the pan.

4 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

Not sure you want to "stack" radiators. The rear one might not get much air and restrict the movement of air thru the front one. Why not just get an oil cooler?  On our 1st build we ran a remote oil filter and a cooler, that gives you extra capacity, cools the oil and makes changing the filter easy. Not like you are going to use up points on an S10

Might just move the second radiator to somewhere else, tailgate? run oil lines to that. 

Or with the Efan behind it if there is clearance?

36 minutes ago, mgoblue06 said:

The stock radiator on a S10 doubles as an oil cooler as well. Has inlets for both water, and AN connections for the oil lines coming from the pan.

Might just move the second radiator to somewhere else, tailgate? run oil lines to that. 

Or with the Efan behind it if there is clearance?

The oil is cooled by the coolant. If you don’t have coolant running through the rad, the oil won’t be cooled.  
This will not work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

Doesn't coolant flow through those lines to a heat exchange between the filter and block ? 

I did not see what year you are building so yours may be different than what I am thinking about.

As far as a point value for running an extra radiator that is a new one for me , send your question to the Tech Desk.

1 hour ago, Ray Franck said:

Doesn't coolant flow through those lines to a heat exchange between the filter and block ? 

Some GMs have that. I used one and the oil temp was 40-60 F above the coolant temp. Got the oil up to temp quickly, too so no downside that I could see.

Guess I was wrong on the operation of how these work. My bad. I’m not a mechanic. 

Yes I know we are running a s10 and nobody is going to kill us on points. But wouldn’t everyone have questions asked first instead of getting to tech and say, “oh I’m sorry, didn’t know”. Just doing my due diligence, I try to follow the rules. 

14 minutes ago, mender said:

Oil lines on the left, trans lines on the right:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQyYTfzoatTab_J7mnpf1sHNMY3JEF8c901O3Gld7VEGV51fRv-e7cmJz_peWPqJshlRXSmgTo&usqp=CAc

Didn't know these existed. I would run engine oil to both coolers for zero point oil cooling.

What is this off of?

1 hour ago, mender said:

Didn't know these existed. I would run engine oil to both coolers for zero point oil cooling.

Most chevy trucks, astro, s10 & 1500 and up have em, if you do use both for engine oil, I would Y the coolers to run parallel to ensure the trans side doesn't choke oil flow (10mm) OR use the auto side to keep steering fluid cooler. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Most chevy trucks, astro, s10 & 1500 and up have em, if you do use both for engine oil, I would Y the coolers to run parallel to ensure the trans side doesn't choke oil flow (10mm) OR use the auto side to keep steering fluid cooler. 

Yup. Parallel, not series.

2 hours ago, mgoblue06 said:

But wouldn’t everyone have questions asked first instead of getting to tech and say, “oh I’m sorry, didn’t know”. Just doing my due diligence, I try to follow the rules. 

Yes, keep asking questions! I think we are a little gun shy lately and tend to look at the dark side of a question first but there are lots of very helpful and informative people here!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

we also kept the AC condenser as well. Some forums I have heard people use those as well for extra cooling of fluids. 

Reading around I’ve discovered that the second most important thing of a build after passing tech is having reliability and longevity. Cooling is important. We are going to cool the rear diff (swapped IRS LSD), transmission (NV3500s need cooled for endurance racing) as well. Just sorting pumps, coolers, placing ect is a chore. Lol

26 minutes ago, mgoblue06 said:

we also kept the AC condenser as well. Some forums I have heard people use those as well for extra cooling of fluids. 

Reading around I’ve discovered that the second most important thing of a build after passing tech is having reliability and longevity. Cooling is important. We are going to cool the rear diff (swapped IRS LSD), transmission (NV3500s need cooled for endurance racing) as well. Just sorting pumps, coolers, placing ect is a chore. Lol

When we ran an Auto (700r4) we used the AC condenser for our cooler...0 points. It holds A LOT of fluid. 

1 hour ago, mgoblue06 said:

we also kept the AC condenser

You can also use the hearer core and a/c evap to run various fluids through.

As for stacking radiators, the a/c condenser will provide some airflow restriction so, in my experience, a double stack is about max, 3 full sixe cores may increase temps via reduced airflow

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

You can also use the hearer core and a/c evap to run various fluids through.

As for stacking radiators, the a/c condenser will provide some airflow restriction so, in my experience, a double stack is about max, 3 full sixe cores may increase temps via reduced airflow

So looking at our radiators we have the one shown above that includes hookups to cool two oil fluids along with the water, and the original AC condenser.

I think we will set it up like this, please let me know thoughts?

AC Condensor - Engine oil (sits in front, and if we keep this the coolest it will be easier to cool the others via radiator)

Radiator - Rear Diff on one side, transmission on the other side

The above would be 0 points correct using all OE coolers? Any disadvantages to this system?

Efans will probably be used as well

10 minutes ago, mgoblue06 said:

AC Condensor - Engine oil

Reinventing the wheel is not needed here, either stick with the stock engine oil cooler in the rad or pay points for a proper one, without automotive mechanical experience, doing something from your "gut" may prove much worse then you already have.

Be careful, the condenser was designed for freon gas and a very low viscosity oil, it will not flow enough engine oil if its forced to take everything passing through the filter.

We do not run a oil cooler on the engine, the diff needed one after we got better, the transmission has always had one. (Automatic)

My advice to most everyone that asks this stuff is: Get the thing through tech test it or enter a race to identify true weak spots rather then perceived, generally speaking, there is a huge difference between the 2.

Edited by Team Infiniti